Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extra Argonian Villages?
04-03-2010, 11:30 PM,
Extra Argonian Villages?
This is not a matter we need to devote much time to right now, but it is something I think should be discussed. I've recently been giving some serious thought to the map of all the Argonian settlements in the "All Maps" thread above, and it seems to me that there are way, way too many of the native villages.

I counted, and there are a total of 42. Even if they just had one interior each, that's a hell of a lot of modding, and they will need more than that to be credible. Also, given how densely packed they all are, I suspect that they would make the landscape appear quite cramped, and Black Marsh isn't supposed to be densely populated.

We also need to bear in mind that we need to make space for Sarpa settlements, Hist ruins, and also Velothi nomad camps in the north around Arnesia.

So I suggest we cut down the number of native villages, so that we can fit more stuff in and spend more time making each village unique and fun to play through.

I suggest that the extra names that are dropped from the village list are given to the Hist shrines.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
04-04-2010, 09:01 AM,
RE: Extra Argonian Villages?
Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
This is not a matter we need to devote much time to right now, but it is something I think should be discussed. I've recently been giving some serious thought to the map of all the Argonian settlements in the "All Maps" thread above, and it seems to me that there are way, way too many of the native villages.

I counted, and there are a total of 42. Even if they just had one interior each, that's a hell of a lot of modding, and they will need more than that to be credible. Also, given how densely packed they all are, I suspect that they would make the landscape appear quite cramped, and Black Marsh isn't supposed to be densely populated.

We also need to bear in mind that we need to make space for Sarpa settlements, Hist ruins, and also Velothi nomad camps in the north around Arnesia.

So I suggest we cut down the number of native villages, so that we can fit more stuff in and spend more time making each village unique and fun to play through.

I suggest that the extra names that are dropped from the village list are given to the Hist shrines.

Im able to make and plan a Sarpa settlement, if you wanna.
04-04-2010, 11:36 AM,

Yes, that would be great. But first, we need to decide where it should go on the map...

04-04-2010, 11:59 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Yes, that would be great. But first, we need to decide where it should go on the map...

Definitely.
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM,

Np. I think we started a discussion about this over MSN, didn't we? Good to make it public. Basically, I think that our current beta is pretty cramped so I'm wanting to cut down stuff like this as much as possible. The only problem is that settlement modding is always in high demand. People just love making towns and villages!

That's not bad per se but the real issue is the amount of landscaping involved around them. Beyond the beta, I'm very fearful of doing all that landscaping with no help. It's shedloads of work! If settlement modders also contribute to the surrounding landscape then it cuts it down a little but you also have to bear in mind the height mapping when setting up the landscapes where you know settlements will appear. Otherwise, the amount of landscaping you do is monumental!

Anyway, that's sort of besides the point. The main issue is that the original maps that I received were, as I understand it, based on lore. Therefore, I'm not arbitrarily deciding where everything must go but trying to keep things in accordance with the lore. As this is your area, I leave it to you over what we can and cannot rename. However, you may notice that what is currently noted as 'Nu-Tlak' is merely a single building that represents the end of 'Rottmere's Folly', the bridge that spans the Everglades (and which I'm hoping will be eventually added to with 'crumbled away' versions of the models).

Likewise, what we put in these locations are variable.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-04-2010, 02:06 PM,

Thanks, I think it's good to discuss this out in the open. I myself am learning landscaping over at High Rock, and will be able to assist you in the future.

For the record, the only settlements that are based in lore are the ones that are marked by black circles on the map. All of the green (native Argonian) and brown (native Paatru) were invented by Kukulza specifically for this project.

04-04-2010, 02:38 PM,

Pity I'm badly colourblind with greens and browns. From what I can see, the lore-specific locations are (deep breath): Stormhold, Gideon, Sloughpoint, RockGuard, Glenbridge, Stonewastes, RockGrove, Chasepoint, Soulrest, Thorn, Chasecreek, Riverwalk, Alten Corimont, Rockpoint, Branchmont, Greenglade, Greenspring, Alten Markmont, Riverbridge, Seafalls, Portdon, Rockspring, Seaspring, Branchgrove, Archon, Rockpark, Lilmoth, Alten Meirhall, Longmont, Blackrose and Moonmarch.

Only 8 of those are cities or large towns including: Stormhold, Gideon, Soulrest, Helstrom, Thorn, Archon, Blackrose and Lilmoth.

Is that right?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-04-2010, 02:56 PM,

That's all correct. :check:

04-04-2010, 05:51 PM,

OK, first list of things we could cut down:

Helstrom
According to the lore developed by Kukulza and extended by me, this was a flourishing Imperial colony at the time of TES1: Arena, 50 or so years ago (which is why it appears on the old maps). However, due to the incompetence of its architects, the whole town was sucked down a sinkhole after colonists foolishly mined down into it. It remains only as a large area of fragments of buildings on the surface, which will have become overgrown over the decades. There will still be a large depression where the town was though.

Alten Meirhall, Alten Corimont and Alten Markmont
As previously discussed, these aren't going to be settlements but ancient wizard's towers built by Aldmer explorers thousands of years ago as navigation beacons. They will have one big dungeon interior each.

Branchgrove is so close to the city of Archon that I think it should be the "new" Imperial district of the city, as opposed to the older Velothi bit that will be made using llama's and Phitt's resources.

Greenspring is down as an Imperial colony but it's way too deep into Murkwood for it to make sense. I'm thinking it was set up at the same time as the Helstrom colony, and declined after its parent was lost. There could be just a small garrison there that maintains the bridge over the Light-Rock River.

04-04-2010, 08:29 PM,

The following settlements are in Arnesia, so I suggest that they are in fact Velothi villages. I have translated their names into Aldmeris (the language Veloth spoke and Dunmeris is a derivative of):

Chasecreek = Maldrellis (from Meldi Relleis, literally driven-stream)

Rockpoint = Bal Tor (literally Stone Hill)

Riverwalk = Reltarnabi (from Relle Tarnabye, literally water passage)

Branchmont = Lysmala (from Lyeis Mala, literally high-trees)

Greenglade = Virmora (from Mora, literally wood, and the latin root of green, viridis)