Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Final" shack models here...
09-11-2006, 02:21 PM,

it looks alot better already, there shouldn't be stones beneath it since they haven't got the money for good stones, also, add durt (dark brow and very dark green)
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.
09-11-2006, 06:51 PM,

Oh you would not BELIEVE how shaded the original shack is! I enclose the TES3 screener and mine from NifSkope with texturing off for comparison. I SO need to learn vertex painting! As an aside, does anyone know what settings are necessary to have vertex painting rendered on Max via F10?

Thanks,
Steve
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM,

Vertex painting is EASY.

If your model is an editable mesh, click the Modifier dropdown menu (Same as if you were going to add a UVW map) and select VertexPaint way near the bottom. It's pretty self-explanitory from there, but make sure to merge all of your layers before you convert it back to an editable mesh. Just a safety precaution.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM,

You could use radiosity (which makes use of vertice shading).
09-11-2006, 07:53 PM,

Yeah, if you want to get that in-depth you can. To make radiosity, just make a skylight (Under the same panel as a regular light) then go to Rendering, Advanced Lighting, and click Radiosity. It will ask you if you want to make an automatic exposure control, but don't.

Anyway, I'd reccomend using a mix of both, but radiosity isn't entirely neccisary. It just adds a lot of nice detail automaticly.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM,

I like everything about the Shack except the bricks textures on the bottom, which looks modern and perfected, yet these guys are poor, who live in these shacks. Try another material, and see if it looks goodon the bottom, like badly done bricks with hay and mud. Big Grin
Semper Fidelis..... - Always Faithful (Marine Corp Motto)
09-11-2006, 09:35 PM,

I would think that simply adding a bunch of moss and making the bricks irregular a little bit would make the bottom texture perfect.
09-11-2006, 10:08 PM,

The new brick texture is already finished.

Here some versions:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/thorstenwillert...ack/moosy/
09-11-2006, 10:42 PM,
What he said...-)
I was going to try some vertex coloring first, but then I thought, let's get the new texes out there first. So here they are, but for now just the foundation and siding. Smile I think the foundation in particular is grunged up nicely. Let me comment on some of the comments:

- TID: that irregular area on the left side of the front is not a door, it's where the door goes. Smile That's next, after we get a look down for the exterior and interior.

- IATE: Not sure brown is the way to go; after 6 years in FL (a good BC approximation), dead wood outside becomes shades of green and grey, with not much else.

- RW: I'm not sure with the wood grain where the line is between stretched and repetitive, so please tell me if these poles look better.

- Nerbod: I'm with Zarf on this one; the poor can afford rocks, just not nice ones. Big Grin

Next carefully forged progress shots will include vertex coloring.

Keep 'em coming,
Steve
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM,
RE: What he said...-)
Looks very good, sacarrow. :goodjob: I have a few suggestions though:

-Note that while I like it, the spaces in between the wood will not be practical for immersion in the sense that not only does it provide proper shelter, but being able to see inside would kill the thought that somebody actually lives there (considering there'll be nothing inside). I think filling the spaces with mud or muck would look great.

-Would a stock Oblvion rock texture work for the stones? Those seem too faded in spots.

-Make sure to add normal maps to the completed mesh. If you need to, I'm sure either me or Zarf could help you out with that. Nothing like opening up a new release for RP and seeing another 90 textures to make normals for. Big Grin
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere