Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Final" shack models here...
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM,

My thinking was (not having played the game yet) that very narrow openings might be cool if they suggest an interior, but are too small to really peek in, 'cause of course you would not see the "real" interior. If that's not true, the alpha maps can be dropped easily.

As for normal maps, Stilgar has provided them with all of his textures, and I'll run the thatch ones through the GIMP plugin. Do you have any preferences on the settings for them?

Later,
Steve

EDIT: A clarification: I thought that it might be OK if a PC can see through an opening if it were small enough to only give them a hint of an interior. Any opening large enough to give them a reasonable field of view would of course be unnacceptable.
09-11-2006, 11:10 PM,

:goodjob: Awesome.

I don't have any real preferences on them, actually. I use the PS plugin, and I don't know if the settings work the same with GIMP.

I suppose after seeing it in game we could come to a decision about the alpha channels. I'm sure that if you're running fast enough and happen to pass them, it doesn't matter what size they are, you'll probably see through them.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
09-11-2006, 11:28 PM,

I really like the faded rocks. Makes them look ancient and kinda thrown together at the last second. PERFECT for shacks like this. Now you just need to acquire some really nice wood textures.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM,

My two cents..

The rocks on this shack somehow look off.... I dont know exactly why, but it reminds me of a worn road or walkway type texture, not building materials. I think somewhat bigger and less exactly square cut rocks would fit better.
09-12-2006, 06:46 AM,

Some more cents from me: note that there should be a version without the stones so you can walk under it...

Another cent: I need mooore dirt :brew: :brew:
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.
09-12-2006, 11:49 PM,
OK, I lied ...
No vertex painting yet. What I did was take all of the wood-based texes and "stain" them with a translucent layer of very deep brown (63,33,14). The two pix are a straight render and a radiosity render with one skylight. Later, I'll try to find a GIMP plugin to allow me to randomly throw moss, mold and yes, dirt Smile onto the texes as well. BTW, when I add one skylight that casts shadows, my render takes ~45 minutes; is there some setting I should be using (or not)?

Later,
Steve
09-12-2006, 11:56 PM,

ahhh

looking very much better. Nice work :goodjob:

Im slightly confused about the door. It looks.. weird... like how do you get in the shack.. The door is eleveated and strange..
09-13-2006, 12:06 AM,

That's where the door will go once the models are complete. Doors are separate models and since exterior doors teleport, there's no need for a space. I figured I'd do the door once we get consensus on the look of the interior and exterior.

Later,
Steve

EDIT: And this model needs stairs too. Smile

RE-EDIT: No worries; it's the sort of thing that only makes sense "after further review." I was surprised too at first not to see a door.
09-13-2006, 12:08 AM,

ah..well now i feel rather stupid..

o well

keep up the good work
09-13-2006, 02:30 PM,

ah, good ol' dirt Smile Now the reoof will need to be dirtened too, alot Smile
[1ST]T[/1ST]his is what a heightmap looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.