Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Georgia vs Russia
08-14-2008, 01:53 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Gyssar
Actually, this situation scares me witless. The US has a "legitimate peacekeeping" reason to invade this country now on "behalf of a strategic ally". I do understand that an invasion of Russia by NATO forces is almost impossible in the curent state of affairs (we still have a pretty large nuke arsenal, not nearly as large as the US though), but if they gather enough allies, and seeing how so many countries have been looking for an opportunity to size us down, they could probably muster enough strength to bulldoze right across the country. They'd get stuck in siberia cause no military equipment can survive those conditions for very long so far deep into enemy territory, but almost nobody lives there anyhow, 65% of our population is concetrated in the European side of the Urals.

Somewhat off topic:

If you sincerely believe that the U.S. would attempt to pick a fight with Russia right, even with NATO backing, you need to get your facts straight, and this is why:

-America is heading straight into an election season, Bush has 3 months left in office and two wars on his hands. He isn't going to single handedly attempt to start World War 3. Neither of our presidential candidates will try starting one either, it would be political suicide "Vote for me and I will give you a war with Russia"-- great political strategy... When elected, neither of them will try doing it either. McCain is too smart, Obama is too nicey nice.

-Logistically, we can't afford to fight a war against the Russians along with Iraq and Afghanistan, we have the most advanced military in the world, but it's a rather small one. We are strapped for troops as is in the two rather small conflicts we're currently involved in. The only possible way we could field enough forces to fight Russia is with a draft.

-At this point in time NATO is a joke. Sure the nations share information and support eachother to an extent, but 90% of them want nothing to do with military conflict, regardless of the situation. Countries that were once our closest allies such as France don't even like America very much anymore.

Lastly, America has been antagonizing Russia since WWII? Russia had said outright that it wanted to turn the entire world communist, in post WWII negotiations one of Russia's top diplomats told his American counter-part that our grand children would speak Russian. During Stalin's reign over Russia he killed more of his own people than Hitler killed during the holocaust. In the aftermath of the war Soviet forces invaded supposedly free countries like the Czech Republic, overthrew their early democratic governments, and put puppet's of the Kremlin in place.

America was trying to contain the Soviet's after WWII and save the entire world from falling under the Iron Curtain. If it weren't for America odds are that Russia would still be controlled by the Soviets... but you criticize America for trying to "antagonize" Russia?

BTW I don't think you really offended anyone, at least not me Gyssar. Sure I shot back at you, but I'm a belligerent bastard and enjoy arguing. Just because someone looks at something differently from me doesn't offend me.
08-14-2008, 08:08 PM,

It looks like the Russians are there to stay. According to the President of Georgia Russian forces control a full 1/3 of the country and are advancing on the capital. It is getting clearer that Russia wants it's sunny vacation land back in it's control.

I am very interiested in what the Useless Nations does next. My guess is nothing. What a waste of US tax dollars that group is.
08-15-2008, 07:37 PM,

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IuSLALxSw

A story like Gyssar's story.