Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hist Resin Armour
09-29-2006, 02:35 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by SwedishFish
Quote:Originally posted by Kyoushu

Surely not all Argonians hold to this belief that Hist Sap is sacrilegious? The notion that all Argonians hold this belief is quite foolish, they may not be human in sense of physiology or psychology; but their still a culture with some symbolance of individualism... anything less would be boring IMHO.
Yes, but the Hist is referred to as the "soul" of Argonians. Any argonians that believe in the Hist's spiritual importance may not approve of such use.

Unless of coarse this was part of that. Maybe the Argonians make this armor for the very reason you used to say I was wrong. We really don't know anything about this.
09-29-2006, 04:39 AM,

There is lore on this matter. It would be sacreligous to make the armor. Read all of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Marsh

And pay special note to...

Quote:Many cursory remarks give the impression that the relationship between the Argonians and the Hist as nearing the level of symbiosis. From the keyboard of Mark Nelson: "I will tell you that there's more to the Hist than has been told, and they and the Argonians have a much deeper relationship than previously thought...Black Marsh is, sadly, far too unexplored, leaving the enigmatic Argonians shrouded in a bit too much mystery for my liking." Gary Noonan provides a description of the Argonians as being similar to the Khajiit, and varying from a nearly human to a completely lizardlike race much like the Khajiit vary from a nearly human to an entirely catlike race, depending on how many times "they decide to lick the tree". In further posts by Mark Nelson he commented that he was not willing to speak of the relationship between the Hist. "As for the relationship, I'm not talking yet." "There has been talk about how the Hist (and Hist sap) are related to Argonian sexuality. This hasn't changed...it's still related. And, it's not a taboo topic; I just don't think it's the most interesting one out there." The issue has not since been delved into with any more depth or clarity.

And

Quote:The Argonian Compendium states this to be one of the most famous pieces of Morrowind era Argonian lore, and begins furiously interpreting the passage, declaring in favour of the rite as a sexual initiation into adulthood, the usage of nests, and various other minor things.[38] Marobar Sul's Ancient Tales of the Dwemer also contains a story relating the importance of the Hist, taken from the Argonian slaves of southern Morrowind.

The tale concerns a settlement of Argonians wiped out by "Dwemeri"[A] imperialism. Dwemer come to an isolated Argonian settlement, and begin to fell the local trees without much ado. The Argonians remain unfazed. "[We] allowed them to use the plants as they needed them, provided they never touched the Hist, which are sacred to us and to the land...For many years, we lived peaceably. No one wanted for anything." The Dwemer showed signs of dissatisfaction with their arrangement, as it became clear that the sap of the Hist could be made into resilient armour called resin. The Dwemer sent out a woodsman named Juhnin to fell the Hist for profit. "Of course, we Argonians cried out against it. It was our home, and the Hist, once gone, would never return. The merchants reconsidered, but Juhnin took it on his own to break our spirit. He proved one terrible, bloody day that his prodigious skill with the axe could be used against people as well as trees. Any Argonian who stood in his way was hewn asunder, children as well. The Dwemer people of Lorikh closed their doors and their ears to the cries of murder...It is difficult to explain...But the deaths of our living ones was not nearly as horrible to us as the death of our trees. You must understand that to my people, the Hist are where we come from and where we are going. To destroy our bodies is nothing; to destroy our trees is to annihilate us utterly. When Juhnin then turned his axe on the Hist, he killed the land. The water disappeared, the animals died, and all the other life that the trees nourished crumbled and dried to dust." The story proper begins some time later as the Dwemer daughter of Juhnin speaks to an old Argonian woman working in the now destroyed region, and begins to relate the tale. The child learns that the all the Argonians are soon to die from the Hist's absence, and begins to tear up. The Argonian woman gives the child a small seed, saying 'We Argonians have an expression...That the best soil for a seed is found in your heart." The child leaves to plant it in front of her house. The following day, Juhnin comes across a giant Hist tree at his doorstep, and draws his axe to fell it. Successive blows make no change to the tree, and the tree regenerates to match the wood chopped off. Some time passes, and a local notices Juhnin's emaciated body lying on the ground, axe in hands, with no tree in sight. "Shortly thereafter, small desert flowers began pushing through the dry dirt in the town. Trees and plants newly sown began to live tolerably well, if not luxuriantly. The Hist did not return, but Kamdida and the people of Lorikh noticed that at a certain time around twilight, long, wide shadows of great, bygone trees would fill the streets and hills."[41]

I think the point that Swedishfish and I were trying to make is quite clear now. Weather they gather sap or not, it would seem to me that the "logging" of the tree is required to make the armor.
"Your love of the Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-Saruman

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything."
-Jim Morrison, The Doors
09-29-2006, 05:13 AM,

I'd take anything from 'Marobur Sul'... or should I say Gor Felim with a grain of salt.

Even so you make a point, let the Cantemiric Velothi 'handle' it... hell could make a quest or two out of the issue. Big Grin
Mahta agea ry sou macil, ana maka na sinyamer.
09-29-2006, 05:14 PM,

It would be cool to arrive in a thick park of the woods and somehow acquire the axe of Juhnin. It could be superpowerful but cause you to die from poison in an instant (curse of the Hist). Something like that.
09-29-2006, 06:38 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Kyoushu
I'd take anything from 'Marobur Sul'... or should I say Gor Felim with a grain of salt.

Even so you make a point, let the Cantemiric Velothi 'handle' it... hell could make a quest or two out of the issue. Big Grin
yeah Marobar Sul isn't exactly what you'd call reliable...
09-30-2006, 11:18 PM,

I still feel the way I did before, but it's not up to me. Lets take a vote on who uses the hist armor, how common it is, and how rare it is. In my opinon it will be very magical and powerfull(Always naturally enchanted), extreamly rare. Only one whole suit in the game, and you have to get it peice by peice. And you would never see an argonian wear it, and many may try and kill you just because you are wearing it. I suppose the armor may be part of the MQ, and could be like you keep the argonian's souls in tact by wearing it, in which case they would love you, but it would have to have a reason why only you can wear it and keep there souls alive.
"Your love of the Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-Saruman

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything."
-Jim Morrison, The Doors
10-02-2006, 08:38 PM,

It was suggested that the Hist could be sentient, maybe it could willing give of it's sap and wood in order to armor it's protectors........possibly? Just tossing around ideas.

I've been messing around with my model for the shield and personally, I'm unhappy with it. I think I might have jumped the gun and gotten in over my head. I'm going to keep working, but I'm going to take my time.

Honestly I think I went about making it the wrong way. What I did was place individual vertices to creat the outline of the shield and then I start drawing line and forming faces. I'm going to try spining it this time instead, it should make things much more workable. I'll let you guys know if It's working for me.