Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hlaalu House Project
08-20-2005, 07:26 AM,
Hlaalu House Project
Hello all!

I'm new here.

Came by the Hlaalu house project by chase and thought I have a try.
Had to tinker some with Jonathan's model to make it fit with the tiling, I used a 320x320x256 box.

As you can see only very basic mapping so far.
I estimate that a working tile set is something like 60 parts. It won't be a quick job, if I do it.

Cheers! Oom

Edit: I bet this isn't the right fora. Please move if needed.

Ed.Rw 050820, 11:35 C.E.T.: I made the picture an attachment (as images on the net tend to disappear sooner or later)
and moved the thread from 'Mod Claims & Coordination' to 'Organizing ST: Oblivion'.

Oom has attached these images (downsized versions):
[Image: tn_attachment-0304.jpg]
Oom_Hlaalu01_050820.jpg (66.03 KB)
A man set out for perfection can only achieve what he can imagine and he will always be eclipsed by a man set out to do his best and who therefor is free to grasp what is beyond the imaginable.
08-20-2005, 09:56 AM,

Greetings Oom, and welcome to Silgrad Tower!

:wave:

Thankyou from the bottom of my heart for taking on this project! It lifts a very heavy weight off my shoulders. I think the cutouts look really great, though as you say perhaps the mapping needs to be looked at. Were you able to use the blinn and bump maps Quentin made? Because judging by the height of objects in Morrowind, and probably in Oblivion as well, one floor would equate to 256 points in 3D Studio Max, so the three wall textures would only need to tile once vertically for respective floor. Assuming I figured it out right, I wouldn't swear on it but I think that's how it would work.

I did a cutout a while back of the first floor. I ran into trouble on the second floor so I didn't get past the first one, but for the first floor I ended up with just five set pieces and as far as I could see, five was all that was needed (at least for that floor). I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
- 1 wall
- 1 wall with doorjamb
- 1 corner
- 2 corners with doorjamb on alternate side

Again, you have my deepest thanks and rest assured the work you do today will bring enjoyment to tens of thousands of players for many, many years to come. Heck, I wouldn't mind raising a statue over ya in the heart of town either Big Grin

We have a plethora of boards and I never expect anyone just joining the project to take the time and figure out what the boards' profiles are. And I'm not that picky about where things are posted either, so I never mind when they cross over into another board's profile, I just move threads now and then if it seems fitting.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-20-2005, 04:40 PM,

Thanks for the kind words Razorwing.. A statue Blush well the guy i borrowed my name from would have been delighted. Big Grin

You are quite right, ground floor is five tiles, well six as I also made a inner corner. I wanted the ?basement? to be separate tiles so that you can build in slopes, another 5 tiles. The walls on the next floor might be around 10 tiles total. Then we get to the roof and things get silly, 20 to 25 tiles.
Some stairs, a door, tiles for the tower and so on. Around 60 tiles is not unrealistic, I made 27 so far. I also suspect there will be need to use the same tile with different textures (see ?middle? floor in pic.)

I haven't tried the bump maps yet, will not do any serious attempt on textures until I'm reasonably satisfied with the models. The texture mapping is usually the big job.

Cheers! Oom

edit: changed linked pic to attachement.
A man set out for perfection can only achieve what he can imagine and he will always be eclipsed by a man set out to do his best and who therefor is free to grasp what is beyond the imaginable.
08-20-2005, 05:55 PM,

Oom:Wow, that display looks immensely cool! Excellent work! I especially like the new corner mesh you did, that will surely make the assembled buildings even more varied and interesting. And great thinking about the basement.

Your name sounds very spiritual, though I can't pinpoint the source. But sure, a statue of a person sitting with his legs tucked under his thighs, fingers pinching into the air, that'd work - would just be a matter of importing and arranging body parts from Morrowind, adding a marble texture, degrading them a bit and then we'd be set =)

By the way I'm embarrassed I didn't mention this sooner, but before you start adding collision boxes and such I should mention that the size of the model Jonathan did wasn't on scale with ES. In its original version in the .3ds file, the whole 3-story building is about as big as one interior set piece. I hope you won't be put off by that, in case you didn't spot it when you started?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-21-2005, 09:23 PM,

Razorwing: Oom Fooyat is indeed a wizard, he makes a brief appearance in Hal Foster's Prins Valiant (#14 IIRC). Short, fat, bald, with a tremendous faith in his own ability and of course, a total failur in just about any way you can think of. We can return to the statue issue when/if the tile set get finished.
Don't worry, I did notice that the model was somewhat out of scale, i enlarged it 350%.

The set is coming along well i think, 50 parts so far and it's actually possible to build things =)
It's soon time for some sort of alpha-test to see if it is at all usable or a false start.

I will also need directions on what texture is supposed to go were.
08-21-2005, 09:51 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Oom
Razorwing: Oom Fooyat is indeed a wizard, he makes a brief appearance in Hal Foster's Prins Valiant (#14 IIRC). Short, fat, bald, with a tremendous faith in his own ability and of course, a total failur in just about any way you can think of. We can return to the statue issue when/if the tile set get finished.
Don't worry, I did notice that the model was somewhat out of scale, i enlarged it 350%.

The set is coming along well i think, 50 parts so far and it's actually possible to build things =)
It's soon time for some sort of alpha-test to see if it is at all usable or a false start.

I will also need directions on what texture is supposed to go were.

Aah. I'm sorry to say I'm not familiar with Prince Valiant. "Oom" just made me think of a spiritual chant. : )
The set pieces are coming along great, I think, very impressive! It looks like you're bringing in other pieces of Hlaalu-inspired architecture too, like the walls with rectangular dents - excellent initiative, Oom!

I'm not sure if this old pic helps, but I think it shows how Quentin set up the textures too. Basically there are three wall textures that tile with each other vertically, one for each floor. But you can switch them around as you see fit of course, depending on what you judge looks the best.
Angel mired in filth
08-22-2005, 08:18 PM,

The ?old pic? helped a lot, thanks!
The set is almost ready for alpha test, only the read me left to do Sad
The test set will be 70 parts. I have skipped 8 mirrored parts for now and there are a bundle of stairs still missing too.

Cherrs! Oom
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Oom
The ?old pic? helped a lot, thanks!
The set is almost ready for alpha test, only the read me left to do Sad
The test set will be 70 parts. I have skipped 8 mirrored parts for now and there are a bundle of stairs still missing too.

Cherrs! Oom

It's looking better and better and each day, Oom!

When you say alpha test, do you mean testing them in Morrowind's construction set? Because I think that would be a great idea. The games will surely have a lot of things in common.

Keep up the good work, milady. I don't know what we'd do without you :goodjob:
Angel mired in filth
08-23-2005, 04:11 AM,

WOW! Fantastic work, Oom! I honestly never thought one building would make for many different combinations. Great job! :goodjob:

-Jon
(aka Jonathan Dodds)
08-23-2005, 08:12 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
It's looking better and better and each day, Oom!

When you say alpha test, do you mean testing them in Morrowind's construction set? Because I think that would be a great idea. The games will surely have a lot of things in common.

Keep up the good work, milady. I don't know what we'd do without you :goodjob:

When I say alpha test I mean exactly that (see attached file). Place the file somewhere else if you like.
I suspect there might be a slight misunderstanding about my gender but with a name like Oom it's understandable (I'm male). And frankly, I would not know what to do without me either. Big Grin

-Jon I'm very happy that you like it. Your model is a very impressing work.

So its alpha testing time for the Hlaalu House Project Tile Set
There is is currently 70 parts in the set . The release (167kB) contains nif-files and an expo esp-file as seen in the Hallul4.jpg (see previous post) No textures included, they have to be downloaded separately.

From the readme:
The intention of this release is to find out if it is worth to continue to work on this tile set in the current form. Your feedback is very important to the future development of this tile set. Can you use it? Do you find the tiles you need? Dose it look Hlaalu? Do the names make sense? Do you like it? Is there anything wrong (check ?Known issues? first)? And so on.

There are alot of hopefully, useful information in the readme, so check it out.

Cheers! Oom Fooyat