Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT: Landscape and Region Concepting
10-29-2007, 04:40 AM,
IMPORTANT: Landscape and Region Concepting
Now with multiple cites nearing compleation (funny that none are really "fully" done) such as Stormhold, Blackrose, and Glenbridge, and with Gideon beginning to see serious concepts for construction, I would like to take a moment to focus on something much larger, and just as important as the cities, that being the landscape. The purpose of this thread, is as titled, laying out the concepts for the wilderness, countryside, and small villages. I will add a number of resource pictures in this first post, and I ask that all whom may find time take up the easy task of finding, drawing, choosing concepts for the countryside. So far I have quite a few photo concepts that I would like to see in different regions. We will have to decide how many regions to create, what to name them, and what to make them appear as. Thus I will put concepts in different categories; Northwest(Stormhold), Central-west(Gideon), Southwest(Soulrest), Southern-Tip(Blackrose and Lilmoth), Southeast(Archon), Central Argonia(Helstrom) and Finally Northeast(Thorn)

[Image: regionmapxa5.jpg]

Note: Regions are not decided, just roughly organized, feel free to leave comments, suggestions, and ideas for how you would like to see regions divided.

Northwest (Stormhold Region)
Southern Nibenay 01
Southern Nibenay 02

Central-West (Gideon Region)
Southern Nibenay 01
Southern Nibenay 02
Cyrpress Swamp 01
Cyrpress Swamp 02
Similar to Southern Nibenay

Southwest (Soulrest Region)
Soulrest Region 01
Soulrest Region 02

Southern-Tip (Blackrose, Murkwood, and Lilmoth Regions)
Near Lilmoth Perhaps?
Heading towards Archon
Lilmoth Villa
Off of the trail are countless Swamps

Southeast (Archon Region)
The swamps move underground also, towards the coast. Inspired by the Yucatan
Above the Ground is a Lush Jungle

Central Argonia (Helstrom and Murkwood Regions)
Humble Boat Travelers
Creatures of the Inner Swamps
The Ground is Nearly Unaccesable in these parts of the Marsh
As is Seen time and time again
Perhaps Helstrom is built on a mound of dirt that the Argonians have brought in to place their land on. Similar to Mexico City, when the Aztec's started construction of their ancient Kingdom.

Northeast (Thorn Region)
Nearing the Eastern Coast of Tamriel
Dense Mangrove Litters the Coast and Rivers
Nearing the Southeastern border of Morrowind

More to come, don't worry. Wink
"Your love of the Halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind."
-Saruman

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything."
-Jim Morrison, The Doors
10-29-2007, 08:27 AM,

Realy nice idea's and foto's to give us an idea about what it should look like. As far as i can see everything fits just fine.
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
10-29-2007, 10:01 AM,

About Soulrest region i was thinking of something like:
Some small ponds and small rivers, which really are just really low, so you can like walk on most of them. Mixture of swampy terrain and LOW sandy dunes raising from water/swamp. Low trees, nothing too foresty. Trees would be swamp trees mixed with some palms and such tropical raising from more sandy places. But really not enought trees to make it 1 big forest of the area, there could be small thicker areas and then mostly less dense areas that would give kind of pairie feel to it. Like this area would be tropical coastal area.. but it really just tries to be, but isnt for real. It would be dry swamp with some tropical elements and sandy dunes mixed in (closing to Elsweyr), and more coast you get to you replace swampy trees with big rocks and add some palms. Everything sandy would not be bright yellow tho, but more like light gray'ish brown even on the coastline.. like more muddy sand than bright yellow so it doesnt stick to an eye too much from within the swamp.
So by colors i would imagine this to be mixture of swampy greens, grayish browns (not too dark) and maybe some orange or yellow added in.

Imagine mixing these 2 pictures together:
[Image: cypress_swamp7.jpg]
[Image: swamp.jpg]
Then taking extra water off, making forest much less dense and replacing some of the trees with tropical palms and Rocks.
10-29-2007, 11:09 AM,

Alright. i'm definatly not going to work on the landscaping Tongue
Member of -
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM,

Glad to have you back Gravedigger.

Edit: This is a frivolous task people. All you have to do is find screen shots, how much effort/skill does that take? If people can't even find the motivation to find pictures they'll never stand a chance as a modder. Tongue

Silly people...
-Saruman

-Jim Morrison, The Doors
10-30-2007, 08:42 AM,

Well, since i'm not realy familiar with black marsh it wont be wise to search for anny pictures and say stuff like: Omg, i want these plains to be put in!
[Image: high_plains_intro_02.jpg]
And then u will all be like:
I'ts supposed to be a swamp fool. -.-

Annyway, you'll understand what i mean.
Member of -
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM,

semi-swamp plains may be applicable in the north, since it's all the Deeshaan Plains until you hit the Ascadians.
Praise be Hermaeus, he who holds the candle to the light.

Head of Lit and Lore for Thras.
Head of Lore for Black Marsh.
10-30-2007, 02:09 PM,

:lmao:

Ok, I take your meaning. I'll won't be an ogre to the "fools". The truth is Black Marsh has almost no visual references from lore, and little is written, so there really is no wrong answer as long as it looks swampy. I would like to see it more of a tropical swamp similar to the parts of the amazon and everglades, but that is not lore, that is just interpretation. In the real world climate is often dictated by latitude, so if you even take screen shots of places in Oblivion that have the same latitude as parts of the Black Marsh, it would be acceptable. Wink For instance, Stormhold is so far north, it is the same latitude as Lake Canulus. It's probably similar to southern Morrowind climate, which would be just south east of Chedinhal.
-Saruman

-Jim Morrison, The Doors
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM,

[Image: swamp.jpg][Image: 800px-Wolf-River-swamp-North-Mississippi.jpg][Image: swamp02.jpg][Image: swamp1.JPG][Image: Swamp%20background.jpg]

Imperial legionairs exploring BM?[Image: louisiana-swamp-soldier.jpg]
Imperials attempts at colonization?[Image: chickahominy-swamp.jpg]
Just remember to give them swords instead if guns and an armor.

off topic:New creature?[Image: swamp_thing_painting.jpg]
10-30-2007, 05:00 PM,

Marshy!
[Image: Pamet%20marsh.jpg]

Although it looks like you are more going for the whole swamp thing... in which case:
[Image: Great-Egret-in-cypress-swamp-in-fog-279T...in,-LA.jpg]

[Image: TrapPond_SP.gif]

[Image: pcd1-0068.3.jpg]