Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoril Embassy finally underway
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
nick_op: Thanks! I didn't notice there was something wrong with the perspective? It might not have been a perfect isometric view, but I didn't have any trouble picturing the chair from your concept art in my mind as I modelled it.
It's just some of the back struts can be seen as if from below, and some as if from above. Nothing to jarring, I guess.
Quote:They are indeed parallaxed. A fellow named Ghogiel who used to be active here created both the color and parallax texture for our Hlaalu floors. I think they look quite nice and although your technique sounds very interesting I can't commit to reworking the Hlaalu tileset as extensively as implementing your technique would require. =)
Ah, anything by Ghogiel is top notch work.

My suggestion was just me musing out loud, I understand that redoing floors for the entire tileset would be a lot of work.
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
It's just some of the back struts can be seen as if from below, and some as if from above. Nothing to jarring, I guess.

Ahaaa, oki. No worries. Actually I only studied the two front legs before I started modelling it, and they made it clear to me your intention was that there was outgrowths in two directions from the base area of the legs. Only now do I really realize the leg to the back-and-right is somewhat strange and the leg to the back-and-left isn't there; but it's not a problem at all since I got the jist of your design of the legs from the two front legs.

I wonder if we were thinking the same thing by the way? That it was a good thing the outgrowths grew away from the center of the chair, otherwise the sitting animation would clip through model. Big Grin I think the growths you designed give the chair a lot of distinction, as I can't think of anything else I've seen that looks like it and yet it has a clean and classical feel to it. I look forward to reusing your design for a bench later on Smile

Ah, anything by Ghogiel is top notch work.

My suggestion was just me musing out loud, I understand that redoing floors for the entire tileset would be a lot of work.

No worries Smile
I've only made two Indoril tileset pieces thus far, though. Perhaps I could implement your design idea on the floors of that tileset?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM,

Ahaaa, oki. No worries. Actually I only studied the two front legs before I started modelling it, and they made it clear to me your intention was that there was outgrowths in two directions from the base area of the legs. Only now do I really realize the leg to the back-and-right is somewhat strange and the leg to the back-and-left isn't there; but it's not a problem at all since I got the jist of your design of the legs from the two front legs.
Do you think that more concept art like this could be useful (i.e. sketches with a quick wash of colour)?
Quote:I wonder if we were thinking the same thing by the way? That it was a good thing the outgrowths grew away from the center of the chair, otherwise the sitting animation would clip through model. Big Grin I think the growths you designed give the chair a lot of distinction, as I can't think of anything else I've seen that looks like it and yet it has a clean and classical feel to it. I look forward to reusing your design for a bench later on Smile
I just looked to the Indoril architecture for the inspiration.
Quote:No worries Smile
I've only made two Indoril tileset pieces thus far, though. Perhaps I could implement your design idea on the floors of that tileset?
I've never actually tried the technique myself. The was a game that used it to rather great effect, but I can't recall the name. I found out about it from reading some posts over at BSF by Vality7 (I think).

If you'd like any help with it shoot me a PM.
03-05-2009, 02:32 AM,

I don't know if the colorization neither added nor detracted from my visualisation of your chair inside my head. I know it was really good concept art though - clean lines, a good perspective, and a beautiful design - so I would appreciate any concept art you'd be willing to make of models our mod can use.

I don't know what happened to the sketch InsanitySorrow said he made of a Redoran well. It's one of the more important art jobs I can think of at the moment because I have a direct need for a model like that in Soluthis. I'd probably wind up placing a dozen or two dozen of them around the city, so the well will be very useful from a citybuilding point-of-view. Plus I think wells make for a nice focal point for other decoration around them, like rocks, plants and so on, so it'll be a good addition. Is that something you would be interested in? (Oh and if InsanitySorrow does produce his concept art I'll still make a model from it; perhaps it would become a unique well in Ebbedin.)

Other than that there's plenty more furniture I can make. One I can think of right off the bat is Great House chair- and bench styles. We have poor- and rich-style chairs for general Dunmer use, but not any that are specifically Redoran or Hlaalu. I think it would be a nice addition to have chairs and benches for Redoran and Hlaalu -- and even nicer if there was also a poor- and rich class of each Smile Like with the Indoril chair you designed I'll probably only need chair designs and then I can draw upon that reference to make benches.

Anyway those are just some ideas I thought of, in case you're interested in making more concept art. =)

Aha oki I thought the multilayered floor was something you came up with, sorry for the misunderstanding.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-05-2009, 09:02 PM,

Anyway those are just some ideas I thought of, in case you're interested in making more concept art. =)
I'll see if I can come up with anything.
Quote:Aha oki I thought the multilayered floor was something you came up with, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I thought it sounded like an interesting technique and was amused by the irony (having the technology to create something in 3d but using 2d to do so instead). Big Grin
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM,

I thought it sounded like an interesting technique and was amused by the irony (having the technology to create something in 3d but using 2d to do so instead). Big Grin

There's definitely a fair amount of chuckles to be had in the world of Oblivion modelling! I had a chuckle the other day when I edited my harbor tower model in Nifskope.

As you might know, if part of a model has vertex color then the exporter adds vertex color for all the strips, which bloats the nif file considerably. So, turning off redundant vertex colors on uncolored strips is something I do regularly. When I turned off vertex colors for a strip that used the texture textures\dungeons\misc\shadefade01.dds I thought to myself... wow... how silly would it have been to vertex color that strip?? Tongue
Angel mired in filth
03-07-2009, 11:25 PM,

This is interesting! While doing another search in my Morrowind folder I stumbled upon a model called Furn_Red_Chair_01.nif in the folder Morrowind\Data Files\meshes\f\. I don't recall ever seeing that chair in-game though, or recall seeing it at all for that matter. The design looks rather nice, so maybe I should recreate it?
Angel mired in filth
03-08-2009, 01:05 AM,

This is interesting! While doing another search in my Morrowind folder I stumbled upon a model called Furn_Red_Chair_01.nif in the folder Morrowind\Data Files\meshes\f\. I don't recall ever seeing that chair in-game though, or recall seeing it at all for that matter. The design looks rather nice, so maybe I should recreate it?

Nice find Razorwing. I love having more option in furniture and clutter.
03-08-2009, 09:24 PM,

it looks really nice!

- that table in the picture, is that indoril too?? (i´ve only played so much morrowind, that i know its also a game)
03-09-2009, 03:33 AM,

Zurke: I just can't believe I never knew about it before :eek: Funny how that game can still throw surprises at me. I'll be sure to remake it.

simonp92: Nope, it's a general Dunmer table for rich NPCs. Gundalf, erstwhile known for creating the first version of the 3D Studio Max exporter (here on our forum, no less) made it for us back in -06.
Angel mired in filth