Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIP problem.
07-27-2008, 02:49 AM,
LIP problem.
Hello. Well i wanted to make my own NPC's have voices. So i played around CS for a while and also learning the basics of making voice. I was then eventually up to the point where i need to make a LIP file. My .wav and my .mp3 are in the right directory and both have the correct names. When i clicked on the "generate lip" button nothing happened and then i realised that button is broken in the latest version of CS and that bethesda didn't bother to fix it up. I heard that the older version was capable of generating it but since i have the Shivering Isles expansion installed would there be a problem if i un-installed the latest and replaced it with the older version? Since that Shivering Isles is embeded in the oblivion.esm. I want to make sure that im not doing anything wrong before i stuff up everything.
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
07-27-2008, 03:01 AM,
RE: LIP problem.
I thought TES4Gecko had something to do with generating lip files for SI-based voice acting. Steve has been working on that program for a while. Try installing TES4Gecko and see what happens.
07-27-2008, 03:09 AM,

worth a try but i don't no jack about tes4gecko
Maybe it's intuition
Like in your eyes
And there it goes
BusterWolF
07-27-2008, 05:22 AM,

As far as I know, the older CS is necessary to create the Lip Synch files. Someone may have come up with a way to do it since the last information I heard about it so it is worth checking out. Anyways, if you wanted some information on it there is a link to the CS Wiki info here. Down at the bottom is the information that is most relevant about the formatting and location for the files. You can install the original CS without removing the new CS and have two versions on a PC (thats how I did it) and just use the original CS in order to create the lip synch files. There is more information on this here and how to go about making the files and use them with the newer construction set. Hope that helps.
07-27-2008, 09:19 AM,

Just a small question. Do you need the .lip file in order to hear yourself in game? because i have tried that and it failed, i saw my dialogue for a fraction of a second and didn't here anything. Am i doing something wrong? i bet i need the lip file.

Im still abit confused how he explained the process. So i uninstall v1.2 then install v1 then rename that exe then reinstall v2 again and the results of this is i get 2 CS's. The old one cant load oblivion.esm because its an updated version and v1.2 still dosent generate lip. Sad i also tried to do the other meathod in conjunction but it didn't work out. I dont know what im doing wrong :poorme:
Maybe it's intuition
Like in your eyes
And there it goes
BusterWolF
07-27-2008, 10:23 AM,

As a veteran voice actor, I know what I'm asked to do regularly but little of the technical stuff involved. However, I do know that you need the .wav recording to generate the .lip file and not the .mp3. The .mp3 is there for being played. That's the one that you hear in-game because otherwise it would interfere with the music (in .wav format) that is a more complex sound generally and needs higher file specifications.

I record in .wav files. These are the basic files that I generally hand over to the modder for use when generating the lip files. The .mp3 format that is used needs the following spec: 64kbps, 44100 output sample rate & mono mode. I usually convert my .wavs to .mp3s once I'm done and send each separately.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-27-2008, 10:33 AM,

yeah i understand that bit of the work where i have both .wav and .mp3 and im aware of what they are for, but i just cant get it to lip sync and i cant hear myself with out it. :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bitching:
Maybe it's intuition
Like in your eyes
And there it goes
BusterWolF
07-27-2008, 01:05 PM,

Ok, i figured it out i should have read the beth forums more carefully. And thanks to ShadowDancer for pointing that forums out. Thanks Mate.

but to my previous sub-question why cant i hear myself in game? i see the text but no dialogue and the test only lasts a second.
Maybe it's intuition
Like in your eyes
And there it goes
BusterWolF
07-27-2008, 02:01 PM,

Have you actually recorded your voice? Also, check if the recorded voice sample is a WAV file. Only mp3 files work in-game, from what I read from the CS wiki.
07-27-2008, 02:20 PM,

You don't need the lip files to hear the audio file (in-game).

Quote:Originally posted by BusterWolF

but to my previous sub-question why cant I hear myself in game? I see the text but no dialogue and the test only lasts a second.
Is this mod an esp or an esm?

If you merge an esp to an esm the ID's change. If you recorded the VW before the merge you have re-ID the voice files.

Another possibility: The volume of the mp3 file is too low (use MP3Gain to change that).
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD