02-23-2011, 10:48 PM,
Landscape Claim: The Rim (North) LCRN08
[Image: ElsweyrClaims-TheRimNorthicons.jpg]

Claim Type: Landscape
Region: The Rim (North)
Claim: LCRN08

Landmarks:
Miliin (Settlement)

General information - See Claim Info: The Rim (North)

Specific information -
The main Rimmen road crosses some pretty rough terrain, and in this claim an imposing Imperial bridge crosses a deep ravine. To the west of the claim, the road crosses a small culvert bridge over a gully. The road and bridges are completed through the claim, although any improvements to the texturing are always welcome.

Otherwise this is standard landscaping and blending from the Rimmen Higlands down to the Rim Gullies. These need to be smoothed and checked (in game) for sinkholes that could trap the player. Should be scope for a bandit camp or similar somewhere.

The settlement of Miliin is shown in cell (4, -6) but this is in the ravine under the bridge, so maybe there are buildings either side of the bridge, or else it is actually to one side.

Updates to the road and bridge are in release 0.01.04.
Morcroft Darkes
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM,

I'll take this one after I finish LCGO5,

Should I mod the village and if so what Architecture should I use.
03-09-2011, 10:44 PM,

It's to use my Saloon set, which I've yet to upload/yet to be included in the masterfile.
03-10-2011, 03:00 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard
It's to use my Saloon set, which I've yet to upload/yet to be included in the masterfile.

Should I wait it out before starting this one then?
03-10-2011, 03:12 AM,

Well you can go ahead and start on the claim if you'd like. A Khajiiti nomad campsite in the claim area would be cool (use the new Khajiiti tents, not the stock ones) -just hold off on doing the settlement from now on. Also put a cave somewhere in the claim area (and put down map markers for all the claims).

But for later on; details on the settlement are, it's an Akaviri-Imperial settlement, with the population being something like 45% Khajiiti 45% Akaviri-Imperials and 10% Misc living there.
03-10-2011, 03:06 PM,

I'm still not entirely sure why people live in such an awkward spot - the spot chosen for Miliin is right in the cleft of a deep valley and hard to build on. Surely people would have chosen an easier spot to build - unless there's a specific reason to build there.

SO: How about the cave being a disused mine, somewhere along the valley wall? The town came about as a mining camp - location then makes sense, as does the saloon.

Re the saloon - are you close enough that we could put in the mesh for modding purposes then improve it later? What other buildings will go with it?
Morcroft Darkes
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
I'm still not entirely sure why people live in such an awkward spot - the spot chosen for Miliin is right in the cleft of a deep valley and hard to build on. Surely people would have chosen an easier spot to build - unless there's a specific reason to build there.

SO: How about the cave being a disused mine, somewhere along the valley wall? The town came about as a mining camp - location then makes sense, as does the saloon.

Re the saloon - are you close enough that we could put in the mesh for modding purposes then improve it later? What other buildings will go with it?

It's a Saloon set, not just one Saloon. You can make an entire village out of it (aswell as using some stock Lower class pieces to supplement the set).

It's about finished, all that needs doing is exporting the pieces from max with collision.

However, Millin's has been taken from the Arena locations for settlements, so it's quite exact. You can move it slightly, but imo if you can make it work where it currently is positioned on the map, then that's what we should do.

Edit: A good reason as to why it could be built in such a place is that there could be water in the valley, such as a stream, or a lake/pond. Also, given it's an awkward-ish spot to build in, it would make the settlement look more interesting than something built on the flat.
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM,

The valley's pretty steep - I think it'd be a pain to put a lake in and once you start a stream it's a lot of work keeping it going all the way down hill. I like the mine idea myself.

You're right about the interesting shape of the village. The current position is exactly where the bridge is, so I think at the top of, and maybe partway down the slope with a treacherous path leading to the mine entrance would give lots of local character. The saloon set sounds great to me for a mining town.
Morcroft Darkes
03-10-2011, 10:09 PM,

How large is this village planned to be,

8 houses? 12 NPCs approx?
03-11-2011, 01:15 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by AnImpatientFan
How large is this village planned to be,

8 houses? 12 NPCs approx?

Something more like 4 Saloon models, and then 2-3 buildings from the stock lower class set.