Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martial Artists
05-10-2007, 02:14 AM,

i think you misunderstand me Kodama...

the fact that I am in a situation where i am in a fight (my experience, fights are where people are on the street, really angry, and ready to pound another's face into the concrete) means if I turn the other cheek, they'll pound that into the concrete too... yea I think you misunderstood me... when I am in a fight (real fight) I wouldn't mind hurting the opponent... since if I don't I will be hurt... I don't wanna be hurt... learning Kung Fu just to let yourself get killed is, in my opinion, immature and stupid

see what I mean?
05-10-2007, 02:19 AM,

In otherwords, harming someone only as self-defense, as a last resort against violence directed towards your person. If you are in a fight against a skilled opponent, you cannot hold back.

On the other hand, if you are fighting someone who is immature and much less skillful, it is dishonorable and irresponsable to hurt them more than neccessary
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
05-10-2007, 07:52 AM,

A good first blow is one that makes a second blow unnecessary Tongue
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
In otherwords, harming someone only as self-defense, as a last resort against violence directed towards your person. If you are in a fight against a skilled opponent, you cannot hold back.

On the other hand, if you are fighting someone who is immature and much less skillful, it is dishonorable and irresponsable to hurt them more than neccessary
exactly...

wow people can talk better than I can :goodjob:

Quote:Originally posted by Mormacil
A good first blow is one that makes a second blow unnecessary Tongue
nice
05-10-2007, 02:46 PM,

Now every one is saying what i said before: "never hurt some one unless you have no other choice" but every one is saying it in a different way Rolleyes

Anyway, agression is a bad thing, it leads anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side... no wait! that was not what i was trying to say.
Aggression can cloud your judgement in a fight, make sure you stay cool, and be safe =)
Akavir mod leader.
05-10-2007, 06:38 PM,

alright I sense a good moment to learn...

if aggression is that, then what is 'not holding back when your life is at risk'?
Cause even in a spar, I am more of a vicious fighter than say my friend who is much more defensive...

how do I express the personality that I am more willing to hurt when in such a situation as life-or-death?

aggressive sounds like the right word, but the way you guys say it it sounds like aggressive is starting the fight... but for its like if my life is threatened I retaliate as hard as want to, not turn the other cheek sort of thing or try to hurt the person... cause the goal is to survive and not have to kill the other guys, just prevent him/her from hurting you

:confused:
05-10-2007, 09:21 PM,

An act of Aggression is to initiate an attack with the intend to harm (possibly kill) another person, defending your life does not mean you have to be agressive.

Ok, for example: If some very confused guy pulls a knife on you and talking or running away is not an option, and you are a good martial artist, you could have a choice...
1: Do you turn his own weapon against him, and injure him with his own weapon, possebly killing him in the process?
2: Or do you disarm him and hold him down. so he can be arrested by the cops?
If you are an aggressive person, you would not think twice about option # 1 (i think this is permissable in some cases).
If you are not aggressive, you could try to make sure no one gets harmed at all (option # 2), of course this option might be more dangerous for your own safety, so i won't blame anyone for choosing option # 1, personally... i choose option # 2 (unless i know the guy with the knife is a very dangerous killer).

When in a spar, it's all different, even if you prefer strong attacks, you don't really intend to harm your sparring parter (do you?).
So in that case you are not really aggressive at all, just a fierce attacker Wink
In many martial arts, attacking can be turned against you by an expierenced martial artist, so make sure you know how to be defensive and offensive, and don't always do the same things when you are sparring.

Imho, martial arts that teaches only how to be offensive, are of very limited use in real combat situations, like what if you don't want to harm the other person for some reason? Then you can't stop the other person without kicking/beating him/her to a bloody pulp (possibly killing that person).
Akavir mod leader.
05-10-2007, 10:32 PM,

I agree it's never right to seriously injure a guy in a fight unless it's a last resort. Sure you got to be sure he doesn't get up to attack again, but nothing more then that. Agression is a dangerous thing, it can lead to death (yeah I know what I'm talking about).
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
05-11-2007, 01:19 AM,

alright then its not aggressive its fierce Smile

and yeah I know being overly-offensive is bad, I've had mayself thrown, countered, socked in the face, etc. cause i was too aggressive and made a dumb move :lol: its funny looking back on it
05-11-2007, 02:17 AM,

So does anyone have a story about a real fight?

A couple of years ago i disarmed a crazy old women, she looked about 40-45 years old and like as if she was on crack, she had a huge kitchen knife, and even worse... so was almost naked (Brrrr, damn she was ugly).
Anyway, she was waving that knife around when i suddenly grabbed her wrist and twised her arm to her back, then i could just take the knife from her hand.
Funny... she said something like "you are sooo mean! You are hurting me!" ... Yeah, better to be mean and hurt her then to stabbed to death :eek:
Akavir mod leader.