Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martial Artists
05-11-2007, 05:15 AM,

Hmm I did get beat up by a guy that practised martial arts when I was around 12 years old. Almost lost my spleen.I got to be greatfull for the bystanders. Then again it just sucks to defend or run away on rollerskates.
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Mormacil
Hmm I did get beat up by a guy that practised martial arts when I was around 12 years old. Almost lost my spleen.I got to be greatfull for the bystanders. Then again it just sucks to defend or run away on rollerskates.

Your almost lost your spleen!?? Damn! :eek:

When i was around 12 years old, three kids of about my own age wanted to beat me up, but Bruce Lee saved my butt, because i had seen his movies, i always tried to copy his moves.
So these three kids stood right next to each other, the kid in the middle was taunting me, so i did a flying kick and hit his chest very hard, he slammed into a wall and started to cry.
I thought nothing of it then, but now i realize he must have been seriously injured.
The two other kids decided that fighting me was a big mistake, then i just walked away.
That's the story about how Bruce Lee saved my butt Wink
Akavir mod leader.
05-11-2007, 09:17 PM,

Hehe, flying kicks are nasty Tongue Yeah well flying kicks doens't work on skeelers and well neither do they help against a 30 year old Tongue

"On top of the world"
05-12-2007, 01:13 PM,

I've been practicing Iaido and Kendo for half a year now and I plan on doing so until the day I die. Tongue

Iaido is basically the art of sword drawing and is one of the most traditional and unchanged Japanese martial arts. The original samurai sword skill is known as Kenjutsu, Iaido (originally Iaijutsu) is a part of that original set of skills. In Iaido there is no sparring (the use of real swords being the main reason), only individual work on katas and endless improvement of stance and form.
Today Iaido is more focused on the spiritual nature of the sword art and some of the basic principles like wining without drawing your sword (without aggression) and always being prepared no mater what apply to more than just sword fighting and self defense.

Kendo on the other hand is a kind of Japanese fencing and is more of a sport. It was invented in order to keep samurai ready for real combat in times of peace when the katas (pre-determined forms and sets of moves) were not efficient enough at simulating what real combat was like (even though all katas originate from direct battlefield experience). Kendo is full of rigorous individual exercises and exercises that are done in pairs, but the most important part is sparring. A special armor (bogu) is worn for sparring and bamboo swords (shinai) are used instead of real swords.

I also plan on taking up Jujutsu this summer since the arts I currently practice can't be applied for self defense unless you always carry a katana around (I don't have a problem with that, but of course it is illegal to do so in public). Big Grin

Personally I avoid fights whenever possible as I see violence as the last resort and nothing more.

The last time I was in a fight was about a year ago. I was with two of my friends just hanging around and three guys (at about our age) approached us. One of them first asked for a cigarette and when we said we didn't have any he asked for money. Then we said we didn't have any money, but one of them insisted on checking my pockets. I reluctantly allowed him to do so in order to avoid an unnecessary fight, but he noticed my wallet and when I refused to give it to him he punched me in the face without warning. Fortunately my grandma could hit harder than this dude... and she is dead. Big Grin So I returned the favor and took a swing at his face and knocked him on the ground. At that point my friends and his friends also jumped in the fight. After a few minutes the a**holes ran away with their faces all messed up and I got to keep my wallet. Big Grin

Well that was an unnecessarily long post! Tongue
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM,

I been in a fight similar to your situation Psychotic...
but it was a little different... some overly aggressive kid around my age wanted my wallet so he kept trying to pickpocket me, i noticed why he was trailing my butt all the time and I sorta made fun of him and asked him to go away.
He got angry (cause his brilliant plan didn't work) so he just threw a punch at me. Luckily I block and then a punch to the abdomen and when his hands went down, a hook to the temple. He wasn't seriously hurt THAT bad but I don't think I ever saw him again... maybe it was mostly just injured pride...

the funny thing for me was that I had no money in my wallet... just liscence and library card :lol:
and the guy looked jacked but was so sloppy with his fighting and winded back whenever he tried to punch, so i could tell what he was going to do... and he was so angry he probably had tunnel vision and didn't see my punch to the gut then the hook to the side of his head till it hit... cause he kept trying to hit my face... Confusedhrug:
05-14-2007, 01:23 AM,

I stopped at yellow belt when I was around twelve or thirteen

Used the moves in sparing alot still though
And even though I learned only about ten
A few of them helped me prevail in Sparring
Plus i'm huge so... 6 2, 250 back then, round 290 now
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM,

I usually don't post outside the Akavir forums, but I am a Yon-Kyo of Aikido and Aiki-kenjutsu.

Aikido is very complex and difficult to advance in. If you don't know, Aikido is pretty much all about self defense, there are no aggressive moves in Aikido, all action is derived from the Uke's (attacker's) advancement. I would say Aikido is a combination of Tai chi, Judo, and Mantis Style Kung Fu.

It is very zen-like, full of Yin Yang crap. Example, in Aikido, as with Yagyu Shin Kage Ryu, who ever attacks first looses, but in Jo-jutsu who ever attacks first wins. In Aikido to harm your attacker is as disgraceful as letting your attacker harm you. That's not to say being on the receiving end isn't painfully, just non lethal. I would say the best part about a system of martial art like Aikido is that it lends it's self well to improvisation.
Akavir Chief Modeller.

Modeling is easy.
Everything else is hard.
05-14-2007, 04:33 PM,

I did Aikido for a couple of months (that's almost ten years ago), then i got very sick and i had to stop, after i got better i never picked it up again.
Two years ago i did Thai Chi for a year, i think it's to impractical for anything, i liked doing it (i was the only guy) Wink
The Thai Chi included stick fighting, fun to do (and i was by far the best at it) but i prefer Japanese swords over sticks.
Akavir mod leader.
05-14-2007, 10:20 PM,

the problem with TaiChi is the lack of instructors who know how to fight with it... I'd get into a long speech but i don't have the time... however at one time it was one of the 'best' fighting arts in China... but just look at how commercialized it is now and how the fighting aspect of the system was passed down normally only in the families that held it... then you figure out why most dunno how to fight with it nowadays. Martial arts today has a lot of crap that needs to be cleaned out, many old styles need to be rediscovered and their context clarified, others need to consider are they a martial sport or martial art? :yes:
05-14-2007, 10:23 PM,

Lots of stuff is crap nowadays Tongue

"On top of the world"