Poll: Your opinion is:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I want to post larger & more files
0%
0 0%
I want the old attachments to remain
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More space vs. losing old attachments
03-29-2007, 06:08 AM,
More space vs. losing old attachments
As many of you know, silgrad.com has been wrestling with the problem of diminishing data storage space for the last year or so. While that is a problem, it is also a problem that we have to use photobucket and filefront (or similar alternatives) all the time and despite doing that the storage space never grows smaller, it only impedes our path towards consuming all of it.

So the question I would like your opinion on is;

Would you prefer to be able to post more and larger files in your posts, if the consequence of that ability was that old forum attachments were deleted from the server?

If yes, I'll go ahead and remove the oldest attachments from the server and up the restrictions.
If no, the restrictions remain and I'll investigate other options for as long as possible.

There wouldn't be any discerning of the attachments, only their age would matter. I'd keep backups of them in case they're needed.

The poll runs for seven days.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-29-2007, 06:15 AM,

Sounds good to me.
03-29-2007, 06:36 AM,

Or you could make uploading to another site easier, like intergrating the attachment pop-up with an upload site.

Like when the pop-up comes up, it gives you the choice of:

*50kbs or under Local ST File Hosting

*Imageshack (File Limit 1.5 Megs)

*Putfile Hosting (File Limit ...)

*FileFront (File Limit ...)

*etc...

And when joining ST it could promt you to join some of the sites and explain about the local limit of Uploads. By doing this people would be more likely to use the upload sites instead, and would make it easier for people who use them on a regular basis.
03-29-2007, 09:01 AM,

IMHO let the old attachments remain and just create your own account at myopera or something similiar where you have easy acces to account and others are always able to download from the location.
Michal Cielecki
Composer for Games and Media
http://www.michalcielecki.com

-------------------------------------

Akavir's Island Mod Music
03-29-2007, 09:18 AM,

Is this for all the BC projects too, or just the actual Silgrad project?
'Archzz' on Oblivion:
"Lots of you ppl are lucky ur comp runs it.... mine says sumthing about registering online and my ip address....i took it back"
03-29-2007, 09:37 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Richard
Is this for all the BC projects too, or just the actual Silgrad project?

All of the BC.

When Thras (Hopefully) joins the BC, it has already been agreed that no uploads at all will be made to the ST server via our boards (agreed privately with Razorwing).
03-29-2007, 09:54 AM,

I guess the "collectors" for each team will just have to check threads regularly and make sure they get everything that's handed in as finished attachments then, especially incase a modder dissapears
'Archzz' on Oblivion:
"Lots of you ppl are lucky ur comp runs it.... mine says sumthing about registering online and my ip address....i took it back"
03-29-2007, 07:16 PM,

the curent upload space is just pathetic.

i sugest that yall enforce a strict policy of uploading pictures to places like imageshack (it saves a lot of space, believe me). especialy since most attackements are like that. mod files are best kept on the server however, since other sites are not under your control and could crash or something.

i think deleating all the olduploads is also the way to go. its not like anybody needs the realy old stuff
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
03-29-2007, 09:52 PM,

If you really really have allot of time, you could make a ST photo bucket account and upload all the old files there, and heavenly encourage uploading pictures to peoples own photo bucket (or some other site).
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
03-29-2007, 10:36 PM,

Out with the old and in with the new Smile

I think if you want certain attachments then you should open an account and save them to that and delete them from our server

that would be my choice

Enjoy
Bob
I am a free single guy again, but I am still addicted to Elder Scrolls

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Island_of_Ra...hp?act=idx

[Image: qxbkbqrcde.jpg]

Enjoy the Great taste of Diet Bob, with Zero Calories