Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music
10-01-2005, 09:04 PM,

Hoss: Filefront you mean. I'm attaching it to this post until there's a database entry. I would have added it there but I figured it'd be better if it was under Anaglyph's account in case he wants to edit it later. It's really marvellous Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-01-2005, 10:00 PM,

Thanks guys. Glad you like it. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
This would be extremely cool to use both for a very special situation (that all players would get to experience) as well as the soundtrack for a teaser trailer, but that's just an idea that popped into my head. I think you capture the homage to Morrowind's title track very well, and I hope we'll be able to mod a circumstance that does this piece justice! :goodjob

Interesting you should say that: as I was listening to it earlier I realized I'm going to have to get used to writing stuff that's more ambient if I'm going to produce much that'll be useful for the mod. So, yeah if you can fit it in for a special situation or use it for a trailer cool, if not, no problem. I started it as generic exploration music, but it's too formal and structured for that, I think, and would just be distracting. heh

Quote:My pitch is that perhaps you could weave in a blowhorn sound (do you recall the one the player sometimes hear in Ald'run?) and a coin-like sound, similar perhaps to what it would sound if someone tried to grab a pile of coins. Perhaps that could make the listener think of both Redoran and Hlaalu, which have a strong influence on the mod we're planning. Well, any warrior (Redoran) references and wealth (Hlaalu) references would work just as good and maybe better, but it would be cool to weave them in somehow I think.

Nice idea. I can't recall any horn sounds in Ald'run off-hand. The nearest thing I can think of is something that sounded, to me, like some unseen creature moaning out in the desert. Perhaps that's the same sound and we just interpreted it different ways. I'll fire up the game and have a listen anyway. But yeah, should be able to fit that idea in. My first thought would be to put the sounds in at the beginning before the melody comes in when it's just the strings and bass drum doing the rhythm so they stand out, and then close the piece with that as well.

Quote:I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I've created a new category in our database where you can upload music if you want. It can take files up to 5 megabytes in size, plus there's no hassles with waiting in line for downloading and such. It's the next best thing we can offer besides having a website account, which I'd be very willing to set up, if only so you can FTP your music there (i.e. you could use it as a file host and wouldn't have to create a website if you didn't want to).

That's great. Uploaded it. Smile The only thing is, the form says there's a 2 MB file size limit. If that's correct, I'd have to reduce longer pieces to pretty bad quality to get them down to that size, I think. A web site account would be nice, but I don't mind using Filefront for larger files. Whichever's best for you. Smile
Music for Silgrad Tower: Oblivion by Anaglyph
10-01-2005, 10:04 PM,

Razorwing: Thanks!

The Music is astonishing!If that is bare bones, the completed piece is gonna be extraordinary. Wonderful!

Um, if you find time could you make me a small intro piece for my Rosa Serpentalis Mod? I have a trailer for it if you need to see it. Can provide a link for that if you decide to.
10-01-2005, 10:14 PM,

all i can say is WOW !!
The keeper of the one and only Evil Beagle.
10-01-2005, 10:20 PM,

Thanks again!

Hoss, sure, I'll have a go. Smile
10-01-2005, 10:42 PM,

Great! Here is the Trailer Link:

Trailer :goodjob:
10-01-2005, 11:20 PM,

Anaglyph: I think a website account will be better all-around and give you the least amount of trouble (assuming you're familiar with FTP programs). I've set it up and PM'd you the standard info letter now.

Looking at the whole clip, the piece you did is excellent for a situation where we really want to catch the player's attention. But I think the whole part before 0:44 would be aptly suited as exploration music too, though after that it seems like you're building it up for a finale. Hmm *thinking* perhaps you could continue in two different directions from 0:44? The first could be music for a scripted situation and trailer, whereas the other could continue on the soothing tempo and used as exploration music. If we did that I think players would love the first version on another level too, because they recognize it from playing the mod up until that point.

The grandeur of the existing piece puts images in my mind of a fly-by over the rebuilt Silgrad city, both as an in-game cutscene and as a trailer. I hope you continue working on it :bananarock:
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
10-02-2005, 12:53 AM,

Nice trailer, Hoss. Just so I'm clear, you want me to write some music for the trailer, right?

Thanks for setting up the account, Razorwing. Smile

Yeah, going in two directions might be a way to go. I was thinking of using this piece as thematic material for other pieces anyway in various guises, so that would fit in nicely with that plan. As for this piece, my original plan was to use an A-B-A structure: what you've heard so far would be the A (plus there'd be a repetition of the last few bars from the cymbal crash), then I was going to have a quiter middle section before a triumphant return of the A section for full orchestra along with choral backing. heh I think I'll stick with that for the time being and we can see how it turns out - if it's not useful in that form I can always rework it.
10-02-2005, 12:57 AM,

Yes and No It will be music for the mod itself too. I'll put it in at the beginning somehow!
10-02-2005, 05:18 AM,

^ heh Ok. I'll have a think and PM you when I come up with something.

-----

I've added some harp and finished the "A section" more or less and put it up on the new (very basic) site, and taken it down from Filefront and removed it from the database to save your space.

I've been thinking about horror-style music - just wondering if you want music that's as discordant as, say, the Shelob sequence from Return of the King, or even The Shining. I'd love to do something like that, but maybe that'd be a bit too much?