Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New WS Progress: The Hist Dimension
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM,
New WS Progress: The Hist Dimension
Hi everyone,

I've not been dormant whilst waiting for the Jungle Region. Instead, I've been getting more skilled with the CS and Photoshop, especially with creating seamless textures for a new WS. I've been wanting to create surrealistic imagery for Oblivion for quite a while and this is just the start. I have big plans for some of the texturing on the native flora which will be added to what we have here besides adding various special effects and perhaps mist/fog features....but what do you think so far...?

In the Hist Dimension, there are no rocks, only tough roots and vines. Some of the locations will involve no land whatsoever and just this new sky along with some of the mushroom-shaped roots. I'd also like to have a model of a HUGE vine (bigger even than these) that spirals and twists around itself and arches/bends as it gets higher. It should be so big that it gives you vertigo just looking at it =) and this should fit with the spiralling, twisting roots of the 'sky'.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-20-2009, 11:30 PM,

Hey, wow, that looks pretty surreal! I like the effect of the "roots" in the sky.

When you say you need a giant spiraling root modeled, that bends as it gets higher, do you also want miniature rootlets to twist and spiral around the main spiraling root?

And how high should it go? I mean, can you give me a visual reference: higher than a speedtree tree, twice as high as a speedtree tree, etc?

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
04-21-2009, 04:06 PM,

Wow, That's great...
04-22-2009, 12:18 AM,

Glad you like it. Thanks guys! 'Surreal' is the word I'm looking for. I'll hopefully be able to take that surrealism to another level if my current ideas work out okay.

Regarding the giant spiralling root, the idea is that this root looks as if it is spiralling off to meet up with the 'root sky' up above. I have attached a picture of an unusual house that sort of inspired me. It doesn't represent what I'm looking for here very well but it does suggest the sort of effect (and size) that I'm after, only perhaps a little more bent and twisted.

It has to be almost invisible at the top as if it meets with the clouds especially considering the fact that I'm hoping to use some of the roots to climb around the landscape...so the PC may find themselves quite high up but they can't be allowed to ever be above the spiralling root or it will spoil the effect. Btw, did you spot the 'SI rootcave' entrance in the screenshots which is perched atop a re-textured mushroom-rock? That's where the PC will find something special....

As for the 'rootlets', I hadn't considered something like that. What I had pictured was more like 2-3 threads of rope-like twine wound round each other....nonetheless, I'd be happy to leave it to your own judgement if you fancied taking on the challenge... :yes:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
04-22-2009, 07:46 AM,

Whoa, this looks awesome ibsen. Good job! Big Grin
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Back2Murder
Whoa, this looks awesome ibsen. Good job! Big Grin

Couldn't put it better myself! Big Grin Looks just like I imagined it! Once we get some custom Hist models, this is going to be even better!

Just a thought - what are you going to do with the water in the Hist dimension? I was thinking maybe you could try retexturing the water with an amber colour, so that it looks like pooled sap?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
04-22-2009, 05:51 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Just a thought - what are you going to do with the water in the Hist dimension? I was thinking maybe you could try retexturing the water with an amber colour, so that it looks like pooled sap?

Thanks to both of you Big Grin. This was something I'd been wanting to do when I set off but I have no idea about what to do with the water. I could search for tutorials but it's not something I've focused on just yet. Let me know if you find out how it might be done or if you'd like to contribute the water or something yourself....

.....there are other ideas I've been looking into and one of them is that I could do with a fairly large (GreenTi Plant-sized) piece of flora based on the sunflower. I don't think I'd need the textures, just the model. And it would have to have a UV map that separated the stalk, head and petals. In fact, I'm sure I could Photoshop a complete texture that's created in the style of a lot of the SI textures where the .dds file is split into, for example, petal, stalk and head-shaped sections. Check out stuff like the UV mapping of the Gnarl in NifSkope to see what I mean. I'm not going to tell you what I'm going to do with the textures yet though... =)

Anyway, I'm back experimenting again. If I could get static models of Elves or Orcs or Imperials set into a couple of vanilla poses....or a model of a large fist or reaching Argonian claw made of rock to go with Sachiel's Argonian head then some more of my ideas would start to take shape.....
04-23-2009, 01:17 PM,

Btw.. Here are some pics from Hungary.

See this tree? It can come in handy!
04-23-2009, 05:31 PM,

Yes, those are some of the effects I'm going for. :yes:
04-23-2009, 07:04 PM,

This is very nice. I added a little thing called "Hist Dimension" to my site.