Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modelling Deepen Meadows
05-08-2009, 10:21 AM,

TheImperialDragon: Thanks! It was a fun challenge to work on a different type of architecture Smile As with any interior model I made that has them, the stairs were the most difficult but ultimately also the most satisfying part of the job. Calculating the height and depth of each plank to make sure they can be traversed in-game, laying out their position to get an even descent all the way to the floor, and all the while making sure the player doesn't bump his head in the ceiling as he goes down.

I didn't anticipate that there would be more than three interiors using this house type. I still plan to make another set of custom house models for Reich Parkeep, and I think everyone is happy with Steadhelm the way it is. There are a few other potential cases, like the houses outside Lumen Julianii and the Crossroads Inn settlement, but I think those houses could use the house types that have plaster on them and for those I hope to recreate the interior common Imperial tileset rather than make individual house models.

It would be very easy for me to make the variations you suggested, but I'd rather not do it needlessly because then I'd have three models to maintain instead of one which makes any update or bugfix three times more work. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I think everyone is happy with Steadhelm the way it is.
Okay, I wasn't sure if that would change once more of the common tileset was available.

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
There are a few other potential cases, like the houses outside Lumen Julianii and the Crossroads Inn settlement, but I think those houses could use the house types that have plaster on them and for those I hope to recreate the interior common Imperial tileset rather than make individual house models.
Okay. Smile I was also thinking of farms that are outside of the settlements that currently exist, but if the common tileset is available, we could probably use that too. :yes:
05-08-2009, 03:47 PM,

Very nice indeed!! :goodjob:

Do you mind if I add one or two of these houses to the Steadhelm area?
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-09-2009, 05:15 PM,

:goodjob:

I have some critique if I am being really scrutinous: the stairs. in the "going down to the basement" second pic- the edges of stairs look a bit sharp in the model to me, I don't notice any champer on that edge. the textures might just be throwing me off a bit off there. the UV on the inside of the side of the stair case facing me looks to be wierd too. also the top of that part is a bit off to me, as seeing the otherside is planks standing vertically. I might have liked to make a real big deal out of the stairs, as thats to me is the main focal feature of this interior.
oh Think about the repeat of the wood grain on every stair, its the same...
AM NOT A TEXTURER
05-09-2009, 10:12 PM,

Great work Razorwing! The only criticism I have is ....I like both the wood textures (floor and support beams) however they are sort of inconsistent with each other. The beams almost look brand new ...not very aged.
05-09-2009, 10:15 PM,

Nice screens!
05-11-2009, 08:58 AM,

TheImperialDragon: I don't know for a fact that Steadhelm wouldn't change, but I assumed it wouldn't. Smile I don't mind at all if the nord house is used a lot, I'd just like to stick with a single interior model, knowing how work builds up when there's many varieties of a model to maintain.

sandor: No not at all, go right ahead. Smile

Ghogiel: I appreciate your critisizm, and I agree with much of it. The edges should be chamfered, and I should have varied the uvw map of the individual steps. I might revise it. The uvw maps of the steps are technically perfect though since they started as pre-mapped boxes.

DMKW: Thanks, and that's a good catch! I didn't realize that until you mentioned it. I'll look into using a different wood texture for the wooden parts of the interior that isn't floor.

blackbird: Thanks Smile
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
05-29-2009, 12:28 AM,

I thought I'd post an update on my progress, which is that I've nearly completed the work I want to do this time around.

I chamfered the steps in the staircase of the Nord house. The interior wood texture is now much more ruggid-looking and should fit better with the floor texture, and at the same time it now adheres to my division of wood textures between cultures (imperial/dunmer) and classes. That's always been a tricky subject since Bethesda didn't adhere too strictly to it when they made Morrowind, but I settled on feeling that lowerclass Imperial should use the woodkhaki textures for architecture, furniture, containers etc.

But beyond that I've been obsessed with creating lowerclass Imperial stuff and have made three benches, two stools, two beds, a cupboard, a chest and a table. Both the cupboard and the chest are animated containers. I took the liberty of updating the instances of comparable Oblivion models placed in our mod with these new models.
Angel mired in filth
05-29-2009, 03:42 AM,

Sounds awsome Razorwing! I have not modded anything imperial yet but it great to know there will be new stuff to work with Smile