Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[POLISHING] Coral Reefs
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM,

No im not planning to edit the meshes as it would ruin everything. Nice wrk on the meshes i will have a look at the screens. Getting late though. Sounds epic cant wait to have a go. See what my 5770 makes of it!
09-26-2010, 01:17 PM,

Just had a go ingame and im seriously impressed. The Reefs are looking epic! The islands are looking very complete!
10-19-2010, 10:20 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
[...snip...]

I've made a few new meshes - 12 corals, 6 sets of barnacles (well limpets actually) a starfish and a few little coral rocks for gap-patching.

My favourite's the elk-horn, which is modular so you can build it up.

I was also thinking of adding in Koniption's attacking sea-urchins with ingredient but haven't tested yet.

Sorry, just now got round to visiting you guys!

Whoa, you sure did make a lot more corals than what I have made to date....speaking of which, I need to make some more water stuff for Blackmarsh's coastal waters...need to add that to my "To Do" list.

Neat thing about the modular elk-horn being modular. Clever thinking!

Oh, my sea urchins are not actually creatures, but are just activators that roam around using a looping animation. So they don't actually seek out others to attack, nor defend themselves. The player/actor has to actually accidentally bump into the urchins, upon which the urchins animate to lengthen their spines out in a pseudo-defensive maneuver, causing the player to get hurt.

I did them this way, so that they stay on the ocean floor like real urchins do, and because real urchins can't actually swim upwards in water. If I had made them creatures, the urchins would swim towards the player to attack them (two unreal issues with creatures: urchins passively attack and don't seek out, & they don't swim) - I didn't know how to make a creature that swims stay on ocean floor at all times....scripting might do it, but I think it might involve a constantly updating Begin GameMode block to keep pulling the urchin down on the Z-axis (downwards gravity effect), which is not as game friendly. Maybe the AI panel can do it with some function, but I'm not for sure. I mean, I know fantasy games are not "real life", so swimming and attacking urchins can be done for them, but I felt the need to make them simple and more realistic anyway.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
10-19-2010, 10:42 PM,

I think you were right - if the urchins swam around they'd just look like WWI sea mines.
Morcroft Darkes