Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[POLISHING] Coral Reefs
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM,

That looks excellent!
I hope there will be some of like these in Elsweyr too.
07-25-2010, 08:58 PM,

TOYB mentioned there might be - but we'll have to agree resource usage with Valenwood - I'm assuming most of these assets are Windsurfer's.
Morcroft Darkes
07-25-2010, 09:36 PM,

Those look fantastic morcroft. The shipwrecks are a nice touch too - it's mentioned several times in the main quest that many ships are lost off the coasts of these islands, so there should be quite a few wrecks. Of course, they wouldn't all need to be accessible - most could just be part of the scenery, or partly buried in the sand.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
07-25-2010, 09:52 PM,

That's what I thought. That wreck is actually made from two standard wrecks set so it looks like one ship that "broke its back" with all the cargo spilling out. It's well on its way to being part of the reef now, and wouldn't be accessible inside. It would be good to add explorable wrecks too, but I didn't want to get distracted by interiors.
Morcroft Darkes
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM,

That is amazing work, buddy! Keep it up, that's just what we need! Smile I like the idea with the shipwrecks, but is that ok with the lore? The bosmer are known to take the wood from the ships and use it to build their huts. Isn't that correct? If so, I sadly have to vote for only very few wooden things in the reefs, even if lots of shipwrecks, hidden caves and treasures would be an AMAZING new feature on VW :goodjob:
Deeza:
Quote:Easy - you make it from meat! Cool

I. Main-Quest-Progress:
:check: 55%

II. Side-Quest-Progress:
:check: 15%
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM,

The Bosmer can't use any wood from their own forests, so yes, they get all their wood from the ships. But they wreck so many there will be plenty left (ie. the wood is poor quality, too deep down or waterlogged).

07-27-2010, 05:39 PM,

Alright, then: Go ahead! Don't worry about the interiours, I'm sure we'll find somebody to do them.Maybe we should hire some new recruits Big Grin
Deeza:
Quote:Easy - you make it from meat! Cool

I. Main-Quest-Progress:
:check: 55%

II. Side-Quest-Progress:
:check: 15%
07-27-2010, 05:50 PM,

Oh - didn't realise there'd be a lore issue with shipwrecks!

So (hrfrfRETCONhrf):

No wood visible above the waterline; any wood close inshore should be fragmentary and low quality, and a small amount could be recently washed up.

So the wreck I've made was "too deep" for practical salvage; as is the scattered cargo.

How does that sound, chaps?

And as for interiors - so far I'm making everything too buried to access. We can add explorable wrecks later in the gaps.
Morcroft Darkes
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM,

There's not really a lore issue per se, it's just a case of trying to keep our backstory consistent. There could be a few recent shipwrecks that haven't been looted yet, and maybe also the wrecks that Volus' pirates arrived on, that were the sight of a battle... There's plenty of scope for adding several explorable interiors later on.

But I think you're right - the majority of the stuff, apart from a few select locations, should be either too deep to salvage, or surrounded by sharks, or something else to make it inaccessible.

07-27-2010, 10:41 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
There's not really a lore issue per se, it's just a case of trying to keep our backstory consistent. There could be a few recent shipwrecks that haven't been looted yet, and maybe also the wrecks that Volus' pirates arrived on, that were the sight of a battle... There's plenty of scope for adding several explorable interiors later on.

But I think you're right - the majority of the stuff, apart from a few select locations, should be either too deep to salvage, or surrounded by sharks, or something else to make it inaccessible.

Would you put shark-wrestling past the bosmer?

Personally I don't really see a lore issue, as the bosmer would have no way of actualling salvaging the wood from the bottom of the sea in the wrecks (even with modern equipment this is hard), the stuff they'd use is mostly the washed up wood. They might dive down and loot the wrecks, and break off what wood that might be loose, but in general the difficulty of salvaging the ships wood in it's entirity would be too much (you've got breathing issues, you need strong sophisticated tools to break the wood off -it's not designed to break easily, it's glued, nailed, bound with metal, etc).