Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please no fast travel!
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Johnny-Luk@
I never really figured how's the Strider moving through small passages, he's like 100 feet high and about 50 wide

He's not that wide. In morrowind, if you zoom out and stand next to it, the silt strider is only about 3 or 4 times your width.
I like forts! You don't like forts? Screw you.
This post has been edited 5,453 time(s), it was last edited by Beremat: Today, 53:83
08-21-2007, 09:03 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Beremat
Quote:Originally posted by Johnny-Luk@
I never really figured how's the Strider moving through small passages, he's like 100 feet high and about 50 wide

He's not that wide. In Morrowind, if you zoom out and stand next to it, the Silt Strider is only about 3 or 4 times your width.
Fun spoiler :/
JK, I know that, I just wanna leave the good expression Big Grin
08-22-2007, 12:38 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by cruxvader
as far as issues concerning the point of having a slit strider over fast travel there are a few things you can do to make both useful

1. Make slit striders ridable (I doubt it) ur persuasion fails at a cost of 23 disposition... naturally if they are ridable the people might want to have fun riding them...
2. If they are ridable, include fighting against with other slit strider. I know it sounds rude, but it might be a fun thing to include. just don't shove it in the anime big mech fight category and we all should be fine.
3. Make them cost less or more or something... or here's a thought, Include HUNGER and FATIGUE needs and make them increase while fast travelling (Because that's the real disadvantage of walking) (no wonder everyone likes playing oblivion you have infinite ability to walk)

having you on them and the strider striding you from Seyda Neen to Balmora will probably work with some tweaking and workin' off of what has been done with the real time travel on carriages

as for maintaining a strider, that's been discussed in an older thread in another section, it'll be nigh impossible and not a priority but we will attempt to have it in should everything else be allset - it's not priority

fast travel is there, its optional, but we want to make it so that you can't always access it. Considering how much it was in Morrowind, you wonder why half of the people needed you to do a quest... could they just suck it up and pay the small fee to get their butts to the place they needed to be? No, most people need to get armed and get hiking, or tag along with a caravan or a bodyguard... thats much more real
but hey, no one's saying no-fast-travel... but for free and risking your life you can travel the spectacular land of Vvardenfell, or you could only immediately access metropolitan areas with your fast-travel, whatever your style of playing is :yes:
08-22-2007, 01:39 AM,

A few questions I have about the Silt Strider system you've said, in the form of examples.

Example 1: You travel from Seyda Neen to Balmora on a Silt Strider. What happens if there's already a Strider in the Balmora Strider port?

Example 2: Assuming your travel from Seyda Neen from Balmora went fine, you forgot something back in Seyda Neen, and you are too poor to pay for another ride back. So you walk. After, you have enough gold for a ride back to Balmora. Will the strider be back in the Seyda Neen port?

Example 3: If the Strider works like a normal mount where you have control, you get into the Seyda Neen strider and say you're going to Balmora. But you want to take advantage of prices, so instead you take off to Ald-Ruhn. What will happen?

Example 4: If the Silt Strider is furniture that you sit in, disables controls, and moves, how will you make sure it moves to the right spot? How would you make it move in the first place?

The easiet way I could think of is having a mount that disables your controls. When you take off, it will pass a certain point, disabling the Balmora Strider and spawning a new Seyda Neen one. Otherwise, you can make it return back to Seyda Neen upon it's arrival to Balmora after the player gets off. I don't know how you would make the strider move if your controls are disabled though. If your controls aren't disabled, you could go wherever you want with it.
Lol what?
08-22-2007, 11:18 AM,

Actually, you are not in control of Silt Strider, you just seat and driver does the rest. So we can just script it.
08-23-2007, 07:50 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by IAMTHEEMPEROR
Example 1: You travel from Seyda Neen to Balmora on a Silt Strider. What happens if there's already a Strider in the Balmora Strider port?

Example 2: Assuming your travel from Seyda Neen from Balmora went fine, you forgot something back in Seyda Neen, and you are too poor to pay for another ride back. So you walk. After, you have enough gold for a ride back to Balmora. Will the strider be back in the Seyda Neen port?

Example 3: If the Strider works like a normal mount where you have control, you get into the Seyda Neen strider and say you're going to Balmora. But you want to take advantage of prices, so instead you take off to Ald-Ruhn. What will happen?

Example 4: If the Silt Strider is furniture that you sit in, disables controls, and moves, how will you make sure it moves to the right spot? How would you make it move in the first place?
Heh) Didn't you think how it's been in Morrowind? There will be a similar system, I think... Like a fast travel in Oblivion, but for payment)) Scripts you know...
Optimise!
---------------------------
PS: Would like to translate your "TES IV: Vvardenfell" mod on Russian with a help of some friends =)
08-23-2007, 10:43 AM,
RE: Please no fast travel!
Quote:Originally posted by Beremat
Wh-WHAT?!

There should be a separate .esp at least ALLOWING us, Kodama!! I have a 6150Le, and traveling takes 5 times longer! Seriously!!!

Akavir is an unknown and largely UNEXPLORED continent, fast travel would undo the unexplored part.
However, we will have something like mage guild teleportation, or you could just get a dragon and fly all over the place Wink

But i will consider a separate .esp if that makes people happy (for the lazy people) Tongue
Akavir mod leader.
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM,

Quote:you are not in control of Silt Strider, you just seat and driver does the rest. So we can just script it.

I believe you're right, though I think we're making another, smaller variation of the Silt Strider that the player can mount on and use like a horse. If it's a lot of trouble to get the normal sized Silt Strider moving okay, it might be best if the travel is instant, like in Morrowind.

Quote:Example 1: You travel from Seyda Neen to Balmora on a Silt Strider. What happens if there's already a Strider in the Balmora Strider port?

Like what Johnny-Luk@ said, it could be scripted, I guess. When you pay and sit on the strider, there could be a script or something that deactivates the other strider in the destination. I don't really know, but it might be able to be done with scripts.
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Dave_91
Quote:you are not in control of Silt Strider, you just seat and driver does the rest. So we can just script it.

I believe you're right, though I think we're making another, smaller variation of the Silt Strider that the player can mount on and use like a horse. If it's a lot of trouble to get the normal sized Silt Strider moving okay, it might be best if the travel is instant, like in Morrowind.

Quote:Example 1: You travel from Seyda Neen to Balmora on a Silt Strider. What happens if there's already a Strider in the Balmora Strider port?

Like what Johnny-Luk@ said, it could be scripted, I guess. When you pay and sit on the strider, there could be a script or something that deactivates the other strider in the destination. I don't really know, but it might be able to be done with scripts.
It is possible. I dunno how, but the scripting should be like when you click on the location you wanna travel to, we'll script so that you're instantly teleported there. There should be buyable baby silt's or netch's that are mountable. In every city there's a stable for 'em, just like they're horses.
10-27-2007, 09:15 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Dave_91

I can't believe you guys remember me! Sorry for being inactive, but I am back. Okay, I have a new idea about the FT.
We will disable it, but if someone wants it, we'll put in Read Me that if they want it, all they need to do is type:
EnableFastTravel 1 in the consol menu Smile