Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Razorwing's Modelling Thread
11-06-2006, 07:02 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by sacarrow
You're frighteningly good at this reference model stuff! I'm happy that my shacks look like shacks; looking like MW shacks is out of the question. Smile

Thanks Smile It took more than a few tries before I got the hang of mimicking, but I guess I've done it so much I can draw from experience.

black[/hr]

Here's the first version of my new heather flower:
[gally]2006-11-06_Heather.jpg[/gally]

Believe it or not, but the whole model as it is now is only 205 faces (!). Not sure if it looks close enough to real heather though... Perhaps I'd get closer if I added more stems? There's certainly room in the poly budget for more stems.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
11-06-2006, 11:07 PM,

If at all possible, we should make this mod as a whole to look good, but be able to be run on low end machines or comps that simply dont have a good graphics card.
11-06-2006, 11:48 PM,

Your Roobrush branches look spot on.

I notice that you haven't put any berries (as I think of them) and your leafage pattern is rather simpler, and more fernlike where the Mw version, which is quite hard to see, is spread out in open-hand clumps with spiky bits.

The leaf colour is very different too. If you intend to keep that colour I would want to call yours 'Silver Roo,' and give it red berries.

[edit: looking at the first pattern you tried with the Chokeweed, above, and overlapped them I think that might turn out closer to the roobrush pattern. The Mw roobrush leaves do look somewhat fatter with spikier bits and by overlapping / superimposing chokeweed sprays you might come up with a similar effect.

Your heather variety is quite fine too. It stands prouder than the original, which was a groundhugger, with a wide spray.

Now I am wondering if Speedtree or Xmax8 have difficulty making other than comparatively vertical shapes, as I have noted the vertical tendancy in a lot of Trees that people are making?
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
11-07-2006, 01:13 AM,

how do you do it razorwing? it must just be pure skill :worship:
11-07-2006, 03:04 AM,

Steinaech: I agree, and we're mostly using the game as the benchmark when it comes to face count and similar. Smile

raggidman: I traced the contours of the original branches when I made the Roobrush trunk, so making that similar to the old one wasn't very hard.

The original bush had seven branches while mine has ten, so I don't think I can agree that my arrangement is simpler. But the textures differ, and among other things the TES3 texture was 'meatier', so I understand why you got that impression. But I can of course add more branches, as they don't affect the facecount that much.

I think I've taken the texture as far as I can - which doesn't mean I'm satisfied with it either, but rather that I'm stumped for what to do. Finding a really suitable texture on the net is as good as impossible, and creating one is probably very hard even for someone who's good at creating textures.

KuKulzA: Thanks! I guess it shows in a job when the modeller is enjoying himself, and for some reason I really do when making plants and flowers. It's one of the things I remember most fondly from TES3.

black[/hr]

Here's a size comparison of the heathers next to an NPC. Did I make them too small you think?

[Image: kxgvklbiwf.jpg]

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I remade the Willow Flower a while back. Apart from being very high-poly (and thus not very useful), the old one just didn't look like a willow flower. The petal texture posed some difficulties and doesn't look as detailed as I would have liked, but I suppose it'll do until I find a better one.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
11-08-2006, 10:37 PM,

The size is fine. Heather is not a huge plant so they do not have to be bulk.

Actually I was thinking that your Roobrush might be an northern variety - it was the silvery colouring, and the simple design that makes me think of monkey puzzle and some kinds of fir...
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
11-09-2006, 05:48 AM,

raggidman: After thinking about it I'll make them 150% their current size so they're not invisible if surrounded by grass.
Angel mired in filth
11-10-2006, 01:10 AM,

Which trunk texture is better?

[Image: wtbacwxcaq.jpg] [Image: nowljncnlt.jpg]
Angel mired in filth
11-10-2006, 01:20 AM,

The leafs look amazing, but the trunk might be better off improved(texture wise)
Semper Fidelis..... - Always Faithful (Marine Corp Motto)
11-10-2006, 01:26 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Which trunk texture is better?
The first one... though it could still use a bit of work.
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.