Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redoran Buildings Progress Thread (2)
06-08-2006, 08:58 PM,

Quote:Hmm... *thinks* hmm hmm... ok I'll "risk" it then, if you guys are confident the .obj models won't differ from the finalized models in any way whatsoever. Smile Because if they do, and it turns out I have to realign 300 windows... I'll pour salt in your coffee :lmao:

Hah! I don't drink coffee. Cool
06-08-2006, 09:12 PM,

Realigning countless props just because I changed the structure of something is not something I think you will have to do. In any case, I'll make doubly sure I prevent this. :-D
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
06-08-2006, 09:15 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Caligula Superfly
Quote:Hmm... *thinks* hmm hmm... ok I'll "risk" it then, if you guys are confident the .obj models won't differ from the finalized models in any way whatsoever. Smile Because if they do, and it turns out I have to realign 300 windows... I'll pour salt in your coffee :lmao:

Hah! I don't drink coffee. Cool

Don't worry, I'd think of something he he. Wink

Quote:Originally posted by Zarf
Realigning countless props just because I changed the structure of something is not something I think you will have to do. In any case, I'll make doubly sure I prevent this. :-D

:bow:
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-08-2006, 09:23 PM,

Wait! Don't make that door yet, Caligula is right! Here's the untextured porch and door for you. Both were extracted from the hut model, where Caligula said they were. I did nothing to them except put them at 0,0,0 on the grid, flip inverted normals (Weird Blender issues, eh?) welded vertices (Flipped normals create two vertices at the exact same spot and smoothing errors), and smooth them out just right. Remember, they don't have textures yet. But those can come later. :-D

Oh, and Caligula, you said something about the hut's texture for the front. It only takes up half of the map. What was your reasoning behind this again? If nothing else, I can use that space for all of the border textures.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM,

Perfect, I'll check them out tomorrow! Smile

Thanks Zarf, and thanks Caligula -- I'll have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks muhaha... starting with Kali Gulas Square Big Grin
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM,

Awesome. Big Grin I'm almost done mapping the hut... might have it done this evening.
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zarf
Awesome. Big Grin I'm almost done mapping the hut... might have it done this evening.
Which hut? Round or oval?
06-08-2006, 11:01 PM,

lol

Aren't they both kind of oval...ish? This is the very first one Caligula made. Not the one with the ridges.

Also, Caligula, should the spikes on it be considered a different prop, or should they be part of the building itself?
06-08-2006, 11:12 PM,

Quote:Oh, and Caligula, you said something about the hut's texture for the front. It only takes up half of the map. What was your reasoning behind this again? If nothing else, I can use that space for all of the border textures.

I was talking about a possible fix for the border area that kind of bends funny. I was thinking that you could use the UV maps to your advantage by making the boarder simply not conform to the edges of the polys, which would mean that the bottom part of that boarder would kind of "bleed" into the adjacent polygon, but would make it look better over all. However, I just remembered how you ended up mapping the boarders which would make that much harder to pull off, so never mind. Big Grin

Quote:flip inverted normals (Weird Blender issues, eh?)

Hmm, sounds more like an exporting problem. I clean normals up before I export, its ahrd to miss them anyway since they are quite distracting as I model.

Quote:Also, Caligula, should the spikes on it be considered a different prop, or should they be part of the building itself?

Unless you can think of any place we would want this ingame other than the front of those huts then I say keep them the same. It makes things easier on the modders, and can also let you mess with the texture around the contact area so they look more like they are actually comming out of the building. Same goes for the horns on the inn, once we get to it...
06-08-2006, 11:22 PM,

I see. Well, send me the inn, I'm almost done shadowing the hut. I had to map the spikes, which was a bit difficult, but not impossible. They are now mapped to the blank space on the front map, and everything else looks good. Big Grin

EDIT: I just noticed now, after looking at RW's pic, that there are round little huts and larger, oval huts. When did this happen? Think we can use the same maps on both models? Also, for Axen, I'm working on the larger, oval huts. Big Grin