Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redoran Buildings Progress Thread (3)
08-21-2006, 11:53 PM,

Continued from:
Recent Thread 2
Original Thread 1

royalblue[/hr]

Got the missed polygon, and am now further optimizing the collision mesh. Big Grin

The first hut is done, including the collision mesh... I removed the border around the top because it wasn't needed any more. Earlier, we needed it because I couldn't get the smoothing and shading spot on. Now that we have vertice shading, it was a breeze. Smile

Furthermore, I've updated the Grand Hall and included in this hut the modified materials with proper alpha channels and have made the specular colors black. The hut's collision model only has 80 vertices. :-D

We need to keep the meshes kinda accurate, simply because a lot of players will hop all over these things. One of my favorite activities to do in Oblivion is to hop on to the tallest object I can find... I did that in Morrowind too. :-D In any case, you were right. There was a ton of stuff I could have done to the collision mesh up near the top of the Grand Hall. I'm working on that bit currently. Smile

One last note, re-download the Grand Hall zip from above... iot's been exported to .NIF and now weighs in much smaller than before. That is, if you don't care about the optimized collision mesh yet. Big Grin

Download Hut - Ha! Only 50K for the model!

EDIT: Done with the Grand Hall. 144 vertices in the collision mesh. Big Grin Here's a link. I didn't realize this had spilled over to an 11th page. Smile

Download Ghall (196 KB)

EDIT: Hut S2!

Download Hut S2 (49 KB)
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
08-24-2006, 02:31 AM,

Here's the Redoran House. Took me TWO DAYS to make this thing. X-D

Download - 108 KB

What's more, we might be able to end up using the collision mesh as the LOD mesh. It's got VERY nearly the same shape, with only 195 vertices.
.:.::..::: Zarf - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbU_YqGZF5Y"]WARNING: Do not fall down mountains[/url] :::..::.:.
08-24-2006, 03:02 AM,

*Thinks Zarf should make screenshots (or even desktops)*
08-24-2006, 03:12 AM,

Mine came without textures in most places. Anything I'm missing?
Lol what?
08-24-2006, 03:40 AM,

No. I didn't take much care with what textures I used... I'm still not very familiar with the way the textures are set up for Silgrad Tower, so I just used textures from my computer that looked right. Once I get the rest of the buildings done, and the rest of the textures, RW will probably release a version of the mod that has everything in the right place.
08-24-2006, 10:47 AM,

Did I set them up like you intended, Zarf?

-download-
extract to Oblivion\Data folder
Updated 2006-08-24, 23:02 C.E.T.

Screenshots from the Construction Set:
[Image: th_RedoranBuilding02ext.jpg] [Image: th_RedoranBuilding06ext.jpg] [Image: th_RedoranBuilding04ext.jpg]

I think you forgot to tick the box "Is Collision Mesh" on the manor building. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-24-2006, 08:31 PM,

OH, SCHNAP.

Here, I've fixed it. X-D

Sorry about that. X-D Everything else looks like I had it. Come to think of it, that hut looks a tad bland now... do you think the addition of windows will help at all?

(Oh, and don't download RW's file untill it gets updated with this new house model.)
08-24-2006, 08:58 PM,

No problem Zarf. The manor is looking really good :goodjob:

I think the round home could benefit from more work. I don't understand why Caligula put horns on it, since neither of the two original "Ex_redoran_hut_##" had horns, so perhaps those could be scrapped. What do you think about that?

On the other hand the original round hut, much like your texture work on "RedoranBuilding05ext.nif", had a round 'sweat band' of segmented tiles around the 'face' which is missing from the current round home. Similarly it had a band of similar segmented tiles around the chimney, as well as much heavier vertex shading along the base. If it lost the horns, got segments around the face and the chimney, and heavier shading, I think it'd both look better as well as closer to the original. What's your thoughts on that?

Here is how the current version of the round home could look with windows and other decorations added to it:
[Image: th_RedoranBuilding06ext_with_decoratio.jpg]

Oh, and this is how I named the resources. Please synchronize yours so there aren't any misunderstandings.
Thanks! : )

white marble = RedoranWallZarf03.dds
gray marble = RedoranWallZarf04.dds
red marble = RedoranWallZarf05.dds

guild = RedoranBuilding02ext.nif
manor = RedoranBuilding04ext.nif
home, round = RedoranBuilding06ext.nif
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-24-2006, 10:39 PM,

After taking a look through Morrowind's construction set and viewing the models, I think you are right. It does need the segments around the front, and it does need to loose the horns. I'll get to work on that right away.
08-25-2006, 03:05 AM,

It's nearing completion... what did you call the border that I made?