Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocks (DL now included)
01-21-2009, 08:42 PM,

Thanks for the input, guys. Understood :explained:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
01-21-2009, 09:45 PM,

Nice job Sachiel! I look forward to checking out your new work Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
01-22-2009, 09:34 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Koniption

Basically, the textures of my plants that are saved as DXT3 with Alpha, need to have their normal maps saved with "black" color alpha channel, then saved as DXT3 again. Currently, all my DXT3 plant textures are saved with a "white" alpha channel, which reflects light.

Koniption

Thanks for the info. I just used GIMP to set the alpha to pure black which set everything to fully transparent so the normal map colors aren't visible any more. Do they still work or is it ok, as I did it now, to set the alpha value to a dark grey?
And get well soon.

Edit:

Here's a pic with medium grey alpha:
[Image: ScreenShot76.jpg]

@Ibsen: You can see the argonian stonehead there. Unfortunately the mouth isn't fully closed so you can see through it a bit, so to say.

[Image: ScreenShot77.jpg]

And one with almost black:
[Image: ScreenShot78.jpg]
01-22-2009, 02:22 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sachiel
Thanks for the info. I just used GIMP to set the alpha to pure black which set everything to fully transparent so the normal map colors aren't visible any more. Do they still work or is it ok, as I did it now, to set the alpha value to a dark grey?
And get well soon.......

Go to the NiTriStrips of your rock in Nifskope, then go to the NiMaterialProperty and look in "Block Details". Make sure your "Specular Color" is set to pure black. If it's pure white, it might explain the lingering gleam I'm seeing on the rocks.

The black alpha rock looks slightly better, but something still seems off. Then, again, it's probably just my eyes and the way I'm perceiving the pictures. You might want to wait for the others to comment and see what they think.

I don't know all the tricks of the trade when it comes to texturing, so maybe someone more knowledgable can help you, if the others say the rocks still look too shiny.

Thanks for the "Get Well" comment. I'm hanging in there, but it's hard to sleep without choking.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
01-22-2009, 03:08 PM,

Sachiel, I will agree with everyone and say beautiful work. I know what you are saying about 'bubbles' and I dont think 'bubbles' are a problem. Not all caves have to be lengthy. Sometimes a couple of rooms is enough to make it playable and interesting.

Anyway I am happy to see some more talent with the forums/mods.
01-22-2009, 08:19 PM,

Looking fantastic, Sachiel! :goodjob: I can't wait to get cracking on the jungle. If we use those rocks though, they will need to be re-textured to textures like you see with these models: RockDementiaOverhang01, RockGreatForest105Moss, RockGreatForest1125FGLLichen. Then they can fit in.

However, the texture you're using now is really nice nonetheless so it doesn't mean that it should not be used at all. We may be able to associate it with a different region.

As for the Argonian head, yes the mouth being closed would be good but I see a lot of potential for this. I would like to set the face inside a cliff wall as well so the texturing needs to fit with our standard jungle textures.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Sachiel
@Ibsen: You can see the argonian stonehead there. Unfortunately the mouth isn't fully closed so you can see through it a bit, so to say.
Try welding the verts around the open section of the mouth - might be you can get away with that without any changes to the UV map.
01-22-2009, 10:33 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
If we use those rocks though, they will need to be re-textured to textures like you see with these models: RockDementiaOverhang01, RockGreatForest105Moss, RockGreatForest1125FGLLichen. Then they can fit in.

However, the texture you're using now is really nice nonetheless so it doesn't mean that it should not be used at all. We may be able to associate it with a different region.

That's what I feared. Wink As this was a test, the diffuse texture would have to be redone entirely with texture painting and all, baking taking forever. On the other hand, the baked ambient occlusion which was the main reason for the baking to take so long wasn't exactly breathtaking on this piece so just baking a texture map and vertex paint the model should do the trick.
Apart from that thanks for your encouraging words. I tried to make some tileable tunnel and cave structures lately but though I found it to be easier than I thought in theory, it's sorta hard to master. The only thing that's harder I can imagine right now is using commas in english.
Why is it that it seems to snap (or better: align) only to one axis (which I am happy right now that it does at all)?
As for the argonian head, I'll see what can be done with it.
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM,

Hi again, thought I'd share some stuff I was doing recently.

I didn't do anything to the rock with the baked texture. It doesn't really fit. Maybe I'm gonna just retexture it so no gigantic textures anymore. Wink It yould then be retextured as is needed.

[Image: cave2.jpg] [Image: cave3.jpg] [Image: cave4.jpg] [Image: ScreenShot84.jpg] [Image: ScreenShot89.jpg] [Image: woodway.jpg] [Image: woodway2.jpg] [Image: cave1.jpg]

I think they need more stairs and twisted paths and stairpaths and twisted stairs. And some real concept in the first place. The woodways are ok I think, the caves on the other hand are quite shitty because the original cave set already had tubes. Much more detailed tubes. Hm, well.
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM,

Sachiel your stuffs are truly masterpieces. :yes: