Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRAC06 "Steadhelm Region Area Claim" [Revised]
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM,

Creating Daedric shrines, even just the exterior, would be a massive amount of work. It would probably take me a month to do that (if I didn't do anything else). I have a lot of other things I need to do, so I would rather not do the Daedric shrines.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-05-2008, 04:33 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost

Do you think that 'fog' would create the right effect?
I don't know, it looks like the fog you see a lot around Steadhelm.
Another option, the FXMistGroundEffect01 (static).
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
09-05-2008, 05:19 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Creating Daedric shrines, even just the exterior, would be a massive amount of work. It would probably take me a month to do that (if I didn't do anything else). I have a lot of other things I need to do, so I would rather not do the Daedric shrines.

I'm pretty sure IG isn't talking about the big-@$$ shrines as defined in Morrowind, but rather the little walk-up shrines as in OB. I could look into doing Velothi & Daedric walk-ups after Ike decides where it's going. Smile I do agree, Imperial walk-ups don't have any place in ST, unless we wanna place one or two at the Cyrodiil border.

My thoughts,
Steve
09-05-2008, 05:58 PM,

I was indeed planning on doing a little OB walk-up affair (remembering, of course, that I've never played MW). Thanks, SACarrow! And again, I was thinking that this would perhaps be a one-off for Steadhelm and maybe even a remnant of Imperial-style-Daedra-worship resulting from this region's Imperial settlers. Failing that, a relic of a Dunmer saint who reconciled Imperial and Dunmer issues and was therefore granted a shrine in a more Cyrodiil style. Both of these ideas befit the fact that there are skeletons strewn around to suggest that someone took a dislike to the very existence of the shrine.

Thanks, sandor! I shall try out the FXMistGroundEffect01 (static) and the RFPitBridgeDamaged01.

Edit - btw, I was planning to submit this claim along with the cells that are affected by the inclusion of the Gorge so cells 55,3-5 and 56,3-5 will be modded according to the required specs besides the cells of this claim.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-07-2008, 08:37 PM,

Progress Report

Landscaping & Height Editing - Swampland area to complete and new ruin to prepare for.
Terrain Texturing - Partly done in particular areas (see below).
Main features (with map markers) - One Fort and One Cave. Only one more feature to come (a ruin) as there are already plenty of locations already present in this claim.
Flora - Ferns, fungus, draggle-tail and so on added, flying objects checking and general cosmetic work complete for the following cells: 55,3-5 and 56,3-5 (from Claim 5) and 57-62,3 and 57-62,4.
Enemies & Pathgridding - Nothing done.
Vertex Shading - Nothing done.

As I only have one more location to deal with and most of the claim being waterlands (and therefore rather easy to complete), this claim is not too far off from being finished already.

I'll sort out the bridge and Gorge-Mist effects next. In the meantime, any update on that shrine construction would be good, as whenever I get some free time, I'll be polishing off the cell that it's in.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM,

Thanks for the update.

Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
I could look into doing Velothi & Daedric walk-ups after Ike decides where it's going. Smile
That's great! Smile

These could be used in the other regions as well.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
09-09-2008, 11:33 PM,

Progress Report

Landscaping & Height Editing - Swampland area to complete and new ruin to prepare for.
Terrain Texturing - Partly done in particular areas (see below).
Main features (with map markers) - One Fort and One Cave. Only one more feature to come (a ruin) as there are already plenty of locations already present in this claim.
Flora - Ferns, fungus, draggle-tail and so on added, flying objects checking and general cosmetic work complete for the following cells: 55,3-5 and 56,3-5 (from Claim 5) and the bottom 30 cells for this Claim.
Enemies & Pathgridding - Nothing done.
Vertex Shading - Partially amended.

Okay, I'm about a third of the way through the cells now and only have about 8 or 9 land-based cells to do, which should make the going very easy from now on. If I get the time this week, I could even be finished by the weekend.

In the meantime, here are some shots resulting from the advice given by sandor about the bridge and the mist effects, besides some more shots of a more bedraggled-looking sunken Fort Ruin from a fully landscaped swampland section.

My only worry is the slightly oddly-textured column I used at the end of the broken bridge because I had no way of connecting the bridge fragments without serious weirdness.

I have decided to leave my shrine there for the time being. Then as soon as any progress is made on Velothi & Daedric walk-ups then we can use this as the test site for their implementation.
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM,

A few questions:

* I have a huge drop-off in the landscaping as soon as the swampland stops and we arrive at a location such as the Wizard's Dome or some other almost-out-of-claim area. Do these parts need to be altered at all or are they to be left alone?

* I have attached some screenshots of the new mangrove trees by koniption, which I'd like to use later (perhaps in a specific 'mangrove swamp' in the northern regions of Steadhelm). I have the textures dropped into the data file but they're obviously not registering. I just dragged the .nif files into the object window to get those working but doing the same with the textures didn't seem to have the same effect. Can someone tell me what I need to do? I'd just like to see them in all their glory.

* I'm playing around with the Velothi sets for my new location. I've been using 'StExVelEntrance01' exclusively for these locations but I wondered how, if at all, I might use the other pieces such as 'StExVelEntrance02roof' and 'StExVelEntrance03' in conjunction with something like 'StExVelWindow01' and 'StExVelDecor01'. I used the latter before but I wondered if there was a particular 'look' created in the way that these pieces are put together, if indeed they are intended to be put together.

Also, if I do end up using them for Steadhelm, I will slowly introduce them into one particular coastland area, preferably one that hasn't been landscaped already, such as the west or north-east. Any suggestions as to which is best, in consideration of the general outlook of the flora as it pertains to the regions? In other words, does Steadhelm and Latrys share more 'swamp' characteristics than Steadhelm and Ashunor Valley? I'm guessing that the Bitter Coast of the north is best for these varieties of flora.
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM,

A few questions:

* I have a huge drop-off in the landscaping as soon as the swampland stops and we arrive at a location such as the Wizard's Dome or some other almost-out-of-claim area. Do these parts need to be altered at all or are they to be left alone?
You may smoothen the involved areas (within your claim).
Make sure the domes remain correctly placed on the bottom of the sea.

Can someone tell me what I need to do? I'd just like to see them in all their glory.
You put the textures in the wrong folder.
I didn't have time to download these assets yet.

FYI
I am discussing the usage of the mangrove trees with TID because he's the responsible Core member for the regions.

I might use the other pieces such as 'StExVelEntrance02roof' and 'StExVelEntrance03'
Type #03 is reserved for the Silgrad area and the roof entrance was used for the Soluthis temple.

Please don't use a 'StExVelWindow01' in combination with a tomb entrance. The 'StExVelDecor01' could be used near these entrances.

In other words, does Steadhelm and Latrys share more 'swamp' characteristics than Steadhelm and Ashunor Valley?
That's correct. The Ashunor valley preset is completely different.

I'm guessing that the Bitter Coast of the north is best for these varieties of flora.
It uses the same flora types as described in the OP.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Creating Daedric shrines, even just the exterior, would be a massive amount of work.

I believe that Phitt has already done a Daedric architecture set for his Shegorad Mod. I think that he already said that Vvardenfell at Beyond Cyrodiil can use it once he's released his mod, so perhaps he would be willing to do the same for Steadhelm?

Also:

Those mangrove trees are wonderful! Is there any way we might be allowed to use them over at Black Marsh? We already have some we made ourselves, but it would be great to add a bit of variety.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!