Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shadows and Other Stuff
07-28-2007, 09:50 AM,

:lol: The combat at first put me right off (the case with a lot of people, from what I've seen), just takes some getting used to I guess. The combat system is pretty awful though. Tongue

Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time and play MW again from the start, without knowing what I already know. If that makes any sense at all...
07-28-2007, 10:25 AM,

It does, it does Sad Well I did use a mod that used a system to add combo's to combat.
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
07-28-2007, 11:20 AM,

I tried a 'Combat Enhanced' mod, or something like that. I didn't give it a proper try though, I guess I was too used to the MW system. As bad as the combat system may have been, it made the game what it was, I suppose. Smile
07-28-2007, 12:34 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Dave_91
They probably lied about the performance side of things, if you ask me it was all for the hype just to get people excited and get some attention. Half (if not more than half) of the content in the video in Renoit's Books didn't make it in game.

In oblivion, at the time I doubt hardware could keep up with the demands of that many objects some cells have. Shadow mapping at the time of Obs developement was mega hard core stuff. It only really worked well for games like doom3 who had little to no misc havoked objects in most areas. It used volumetric shadowing iirc. slightly different than soft shadows.

My point being is that the console market dictates the progression of 3d engine and games developement. Soft shadowing on every object would probably half your frame rate, and as soon as you started throwing obects around it and things like chains started to havok....ouchie. The Xbox couldn't handle it I think.

If Tes5 will be Dev'ed for the current generation of consoles there will not be a great deal of improvement of in the shadowing department. the engine willl probably go through some drastict changes and look and run a lot better. so maybe they'll be able to make some head way. but they aren't going to Dev for people how willl be running 2GB gf9900GTXs in sli Tongue
AM NOT A TEXTURER
07-28-2007, 06:18 PM,

Yeah, the first I've heard of Oblivion was also in a magazine. I flip it open and they show an ogre in a cave and I said "Elder Scrolls 4? WTF?" I like Oblivion's combat system, not because of how it works but because of how it looks. Compared to Morrowind's system of hitting people which was straight up and down with a sword, Oblivion's is much more fluid and realistic.

Oblivion's successor might make it into next next gen. The popular estimate of the release of ES5 is 2009, and that may give it enough time for a next gen console to be developed. I hope it's Skyrim, always wanted to see the home of the Nords and some realistic winter forests.

If the shadowing is still hardcoded in the game, all we need to do is find the right line to stick in the INI to make it work, right?
Lol what?