Poll: What do you think about making Silgrad Tower dependent on the Shivering isles mod?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes.
0%
0 0%
No.
0%
0 0%
Other suggestions.
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silgrad Tower dependent on SI?
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM,
Silgrad Tower dependent on SI?
What do you think about making Silgrad Tower dependent on the Shivering isles mod?

A few advantages.
  • It makes our NPC's a lot more interesting (AI wise), for example they would be able to write, sweep, juggle, forge and cook.

• The esm maintenance is easier because many people use SI and the dialogue contaminations have to be removed.

• Other interesting categories are scripts, lights, sounds, activators, clothes, weapons.

• Even if a modder doesn't have SI it's still possible to mod for Silgrad Tower.

A few disadvantages.
  • You have to buy SI.

• You can't play our mod without SI installed.

We do not intend to use SI misc, static objects please check this thread.

It would be appreciated if you explain how you voted.

TIA for your time. Smile

The Silgrad Tower Core
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-11-2009, 05:21 PM,

First Yes vote is I am in favour of Silgrad using SI content.

TES4-Oblivion and SI is a must have for every TES Gamer / Modder.
It is a three year old game and they almost give it away for free these days.
Sjors Boomschors
05-11-2009, 06:06 PM,

I voted yes.

While I agree with not having the assets involved in our mod, I do very much want the animations. My interiors are way too static and I find myself wanting to add a couple of different animations.

As far as the scripts, lights, sounds, activators, clothes and weapons go, I have not found the need for them. Although we are in great need of a larger selection of clothing and would consider them if available.

I feel that what we gain from the use of SI outways what we may lose. What we may lose are players. That part would be disapointing but what we give to those that do get/have SI will be much better.
05-11-2009, 09:08 PM,

For a mod as big as this, not using SI is really limiting your options. I'm right behind BM's decision to go SI-dependent and I feel it would be the right decision to go the same way here.

The only reservation was: weren't you guys thinking of taking what you've got and transferring it to TES5 where there would be some kind of compatibility issue or something? I can't remember the reasoning. It was a while since this issue was first raised.

Anyway, I think it should freshen things up. I like the basic vanilla stuff but, as I say, the size of the mod merits the move for me.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
05-11-2009, 10:40 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost

The only reservation was: weren't you guys thinking of taking what you've got and transferring it to TES5 where there would be some kind of compatibility issue or something? I can't remember the reasoning. It was a while since this issue was first raised.

Are there compatability issues? I didn't realize this before I gave my vote. Having to do this amount of work over again would be very hard to swallow.
05-11-2009, 11:58 PM,

I just started working on my first claim, and well, I'm finding it a bit hard to achieve my ideas altogether with the current available ST content, so, while I would not gain a much wider repertoire out of going SI-dependent since at the moment I only mod exteriors, I do think it would be nice for those who specialize in other areas and will actually get a new few choices, not to mention the other advantages.
And as for the disadvantages, well, just as Sjors Boomschors said, I bought the goty edition on 10 €..

So I'm in favour.
Believe then when faith is gone.
Have hope then when there is none.
See the stars through the smoke in the sky.
And when tears are falling, smile.
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost

No, not really.

It will be easy to convert our mod to TES5 format one day if we stick to using our own models whenever possible, since we can take our own models with us when we migrate to the new platform. Because our models will be the same in TES5 as they are in TES4, all the position, rotation and scale settings set up in Oblivion will also apply to TES5. This will make it rather straightforward to convert entire interior cells and have them ready to go with only a few touchups like NPCs, AI, pathgrids, door teleportation and so on. The same will most likely be true of exteriors as well, meaning we don't have to start over when TES5 comes out but rather something along the lines of picking up where we left off. Might sound far-fetched to some, but the technology for porting TES3 mods to Oblivion format has been out for some time and while TES5's release is a long time from now I'm certain of the fact that the day will come and when it does, me keeping an eye on conversion issues now will likely save a bit of work then Smile

So, not using Bethesda models does help, but sheer dependancy on SI doesn't affect the conversion issues.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM,

That’s an even better idea, Convert TES3 to TES4 and than all to TES5, Nice I like that one.
Sjors Boomschors
05-13-2009, 04:15 PM,

hmm, now that we are on the subject..
you guys have a golden saint sword from SI in your BSAs..
that should be removed.
05-13-2009, 06:31 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by simonp92
hmm, now that we are on the subject..
you guys have a golden saint sword from SI in your BSAs..
that should be removed.

I thought captain-ultima created it?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]