Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solstheim
04-09-2007, 02:36 AM,
Solstheim
:bananarock:

It's my birthday (well it was until a few hours ago) and I've just realized that patch 1.2 fixes the landscape LOD range issue. The game engine is trying to load an LOD range from -1024 to +992 cells which is 36x36 LOD quads (up from the meagre 6x6 quads it was previously). This is an LOD area of approx 1369 square miles, up from the 47 square miles it used to be.

It means, if KuKulzA still wants it, that we could add a scaled up Solstheim to the current heightmap and it would show up well within the new LOD range. In hindsight I could have left the world centre at (0,0) too without having to shift it south, but it's probably too late for that now, since several modders are already creating their towns at the current heightmap co-ordinates and Dave_91's region data is also at the current co-ordinates. No bother.

The snowy TESPort conversion for Solstheim looks a bit grim since there's barely any snowy textures in OB - Bloodmoon has far more variety. Most of the variable snowy effect in OB is achieved by layering the small number of snow textures available with other textures. thePOSTALdude did a procedural generation on a TESPort conversion of Solstheim a few weeks ago (see this thread for screenshots) and it looked really good, so a similar thing could be tried with a 2x version, probably starting with the Jerall Mountain configuration.

So KuKulzA would you still like a scaled and textured Solstheim added to the current heightmap? Smile

Lightwave
04-09-2007, 02:50 AM,

This sounds amazing...Solstheim was my favorite part of Morrowind GOTY. Happy belated birthday btw.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Vvardenfell - Team Member

SSDD
04-09-2007, 03:23 AM,

happy birthday Lightwave

unfortunately and fortunately, Solstheim is being made by the Skyrim for Oblivion mod.
04-09-2007, 04:00 AM,

Happy birthday as well.

Will Skyrim be making a 2x Solsteim, or something more similar to TES III? Either way with separate worldspaces, I doubt you'd notice during play but It'd be nice not to mangle the scale any more than Bethesda has with their Cyrodiil Smile
04-09-2007, 04:04 AM,

I have no clue, you may want to PM Psychotic, the Skyrim leader
04-09-2007, 04:06 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
I have no clue, you may want to PM Psychotic, the Skyrim leader
As far as I know our version of Solstheim is more like 1.5x. Though your best bet is asking Alasdair since he made the heightmap for Solstheim.

EDIT: And happy b-day Lightwave! Big Grin :cake:
When the game is over, the King and the Pawn go back into the same box.
04-09-2007, 04:30 AM,

Right on, good to know.
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM,

Skyrim's Solstheim is about 1 quad, and feels pretty similar in size to the one in Bloodmoon.
04-09-2007, 11:13 PM,

No worries. Smile

It motivated me to finish the multi-mod heightmap texturing exporter/importor for TESAnnwyn anyway, so I can release a new version of that program soon, here's what the LOD texture map would have looked like had it been imported in to TES4. There's only one ice texture in OB amazingly (JMIce), and it's actually very dark since it's only designed to be layered on other textures, hence why the north-west of the island looked dark on an LOD map when converted directly from TES3.

[Image: VVDx2-LODMAP.jpg]

Lightwave
04-09-2007, 11:46 PM,

Wow, that map looks cool. Smile

Will that be included with the master file when it's released?