Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soluthis' Harbor (wip)
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM,

In the Greek and Roman era pottery was quite common and used for maritime transport (in bulk) of commodities as well.

Amphorae were used to transport wine, oil and grain.
Perhaps you could create a Redoran version?
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM,

Dunmer have baskets, sacks, urns (and storage furniture) where they store their goods.
03-08-2009, 01:58 AM,

How about rough looking sacks made from patchy stitched Netch leather, Alit Hide or Guar skin? Perhaps some with rings attached to the tops so that the Redoran could put a wooden pole through to carry if they were heavy goods.

Although quite small, something like this:
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PHI2554.jpg

Then again, there are already dunmer sacks. Plus I'm not sure if these are Redoran-like materials. I'm aware the Ashlanders used these stitched materials for their huts in TES3 plus the Netch leather is used for armours so it must be able to withstand a bit of punishment.
03-08-2009, 03:40 PM,

I really like the idea of a Redoran amphorae! I'll try to take the basic concept of it, i.e. a baked clay container that looks like it can be carried, and see if I can apply a Redoran design to it. I look forward to making it, though in this particular case I was thinking of a container that could be used for bulk goods, like shipments of hammers, glass cups, clothes, armor and other craftwork. Essentially the Redoran equivalent of a crate.

Dave_91: Not a bad idea! I'll think about it. Redoran style would be nice, but general Dunmer style would work too and would certainly feel better than using ordinary crates.

blackbird: Unfortunately there isn't a Redoran harbor in TES3 we can draw upon for reference, so we have to use our imagination to try and think what such a harbor would look like. I don't disagree with you that the containers you listed are their containers of choice, but I can't think it would be their containers of choice for shipping bulk goods.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM,

I am still thinking accessibility. You mentioned crates being more imperial and redoran not using wood, but you also mentioned hard leather. How about squareness in the leather created by bones. Maybe not geomentrically correct in every way because the bones are not striaght.
03-09-2009, 08:45 AM,

Zurke: That's a really good idea! The bones would add sturdyness without either being wood nor stone. The gruesomeness seems befitting the general culture, and it has that primitivem almost stone age feel to it that I personally like to think Redoran resembles to a degree. Maybe leather could be the base, with an outer 'spine' of bone, with ropes tying the leather to to the bones?

black[/hr]

Alright, time for a bunch of new screenshots!

I've made a new building for Soluthis harbor. I'm planning to use it for the central warehouse, but I might use it elsewhere in the harbor for other purposes. Sandor pitched the concept to me and in his pitch it was meant to be open, and that's how I started making it but the facecount grew too rapidly so I figured it was best to make it a closed-off building. If you're curious about the shape then it draws upon the likeness of the crab seen in the upper right corner of this image. Without further ado, here's the building:
[Image: th_harbor2_4.jpg] [Image: th_harbor2_5.jpg] [Image: th_harbor2_6.jpg]

Below are long-distance shots of the building, the tower, and Koniption's Dres Scuttler ship. My work-in-progress islet model, which will obviously be decorated much more heavily in the final harbor, is seen most clearly in the middle image. The ground below the building actually has vertex color painted directly into the model.
[Image: th_harbor2_1.jpg] [Image: th_harbor2_2.jpg] [Image: th_harbor2_3.jpg]

I made these steps as a means of boarding the scuttler and future ships moored at the harbor. The steps aren't fitted properly with respect to the scuttler, but they will be in the next version.
[Image: th_harbor2_7.jpg]

And finally, though you can't tell from screenshots, this is animated water that pours down into the sea from a grate in the tower's base. I think I'll switch to another water texture because the one I picked originally doesn't have strong enough transparancy (it's a quick fix though). Here's a very short clip if you really want to see it.
[Image: th_harbor2_8.jpg]
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-09-2009, 09:46 AM,

I like the idea of using bones as well.

Nice screenshots! Smile
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM,

It's already starting to look frickin' awesome, RW! I notice you added windows (?) to the tower as well. The three features all hang together rather nicely. Is that a large rock that the new building is situated on?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by sandor
I like the idea of using bones as well.

Nice screenshots! Smile

Thankyou Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
It's already starting to look frickin' awesome, RW! I notice you added windows (?) to the tower as well. The three features all hang together rather nicely. Is that a large rock that the new building is situated on?

Thanks! Yes that's true, the tower will have windows at every other floor in different configurations. The building sits on an islet I'm modelling, it's still kindof wip though and I'll work on it some more tonight.
Angel mired in filth
03-09-2009, 08:59 PM,

the harbor is looking real awesome. only one thing: compared to the organic shapes of the rest of the buildings the lighthouse seems very simple and rather phallic. maybe add some different layers or make it look more shell-like or something Confusedhrug:
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era