Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soluthis' Harbor (wip)
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
the harbor is looking real awesome. only one thing: compared to the organic shapes of the rest of the buildings the lighthouse seems very simple and rather phallic. maybe add some different layers or make it look more shell-like or something Confusedhrug:

Thanks. Yes I agree, as I mentioned above I wasn't happy either that the body turned out so simplistic. I was strapped for imagination at the time, a couple of days afterwards I tried to make it spiffier by adding windows and a broken off wall piece. They do make it look nicer, but they don't break up the monotony of the overall geometric shape.

I think I like your ideas, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you for concept art before I can decide whether I agree with you or not. I like the general idea of having an outer level to the tower, I just can't picture the design it would have. And shell-like? Sorry, you lost me on how that would look Smile

It's not a lighthouse. I'm basing it loosely on Kuukulgur's concept art; 'loosely' because it's undetailed, and I don't agree with his choice of wood for the base platform and bridges, but 'basing it on' because I like a lot of other things he came up with in that sketch. Anyway, the tower I made corresponds to the middle tower in his sketch. The tower to the right-hand side in his sketch is probably meant as a lighthouse though and I look forward to making that as well - can't have a harbor without a lighthouse.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-21-2009, 10:22 PM,

Yeah the tower looks a bit.... odd. Tongue

Everything else looks wonderful.

On the topic of containers, I think urns, amophorae and other clay wares are of great use. They are light, reasonably sturdy, and water resistant. Not to mention they can carry a good amount of items, and they can have handles! Very practical choice.

As for bones, I don't know how well those would work. Besides being completely strange, bones become brittle after a certain amount of time... not sure exactly how long, but under the circumstances that they do become brittle, bones certainly wouldn't support a lot.

In TES 3 there was Chitin, which was strong enough to make body armor, so it could be strong enough to make containers as well. Not sure how Redoran feel about using Chitin, but it does seem a very Dunmer matertial at least, and seemingly abundant as well. There are also other materials along the lines of chitin, like maybe Shalk shells? Parts of Silt Striders maybe? That might be pushing the line though... Tongue
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
03-22-2009, 07:24 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by ZDawg

As for bones, I don't know how well those would work. Besides being completely strange, bones become brittle after a certain amount of time... not sure exactly how long, but under the circumstances that they do become brittle, bones certainly wouldn't support a lot.

I guess I saw bones as being primative or earthy. Bowed softwood under stretched leather would worked also. It was that type of look I had invisioned. Not necessarally any certain material.
03-22-2009, 10:27 PM,

I do like the idea of using bone material and I kinda figure players could fill in the blanks as to how those bones were treated to retain their strength. Either that or the containers could be disposable, being discarded by the owner after they've lost their durability.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
I do like the idea of using bone material and I kinda figure players could fill in the blanks as to how those bones were treated to retain their strength.
Could be bonemold rather than bone. As an armour it seems to be both flexible and durable, which would probably make it well suited to being used for some sort of container.
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM,

Would they be square like the wooden chest or more rounded? Would they have hard lids or flexable flap covers that fasten?

I am seeing a sort of flat pumpkin with a flap cover. ?(

edit: using my advanced skills at manipulating a paint program I created something close to what I was thinking.
03-23-2009, 08:54 PM,

When I thought about the bone/leather container you Zurke came up with, the image that popped into my head was bones ordered like the ribs of a ribcage, held together with leather instead of flesh. I too thought it would have a flap cover, and maybe everything would be wrapped with ropes or leather straps.

I paused my development of the harbor to put the finishing touches on the next BSA archive, by the way. I came close, but then I paused that to do a few requests for a cauldron, pottery wheel and kiln. I've done the cauldron, am half-finished with the pottery wheel, and will then start the kiln; then put the last things in order for the next bsa and release that; and then I'll get back to the harbor, including the container we're discussing. =)
Angel mired in filth
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM,

Yes get that new and exciting BSA out first Smile

The most vivid image for me was the nobby ends, like at a joint and that is why I was thinking bones.
03-28-2009, 04:48 AM,

I find bones to be both impractical and non-sensical. Why would they be using bones? Under stress bones would crack and have to be replaced often. This would be quite costly, and I don't imagine sailors having much money to spare for the continuous renewal of "boneware."

I do like the idea of bonemold, but that again seems rather costly.

Did anyone consider chitin, which I brought up previously? Are there any lore-related fallacies that tag along with using chitin for containers?

I mean, I guess I can't stop you from using bone as a material to make containers with, I'm just saying... there are much more... economical choices. Not to mention more logical choices. From a purely non-logical standpoint, though (which I assume is probably a fine route to take on account of us discussing the use of bones for containers in the first place,) bones probably work. :lol:
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
04-19-2009, 11:15 AM,

I took some time off my Soluthis' harbor project to do some model updates for the BSA (and a few other things). I'm back working on it now.

I'm currently focusing on the docks, which will be a large structure due south of the vineyard. I haven't decided yet if this will be the only landbased structure, I might make one and possibly two more. We'll see. Below is a wip version of the docks model.

Is anyone here acquainted with how medieval harbor were run? What "goes into" administrating a medieval harbor, so to speak? I'll be sure to read up on that as well and see what I can find, but should you happen to be acquainted with it then I'd appreciate your ideas. I know as much as to assume there'll be people working at the harbor fulltime and that there's likely to be an office, which is why I figured it'd be a good idea to embed entrances directly into the docks.

If you're wondering why I made steps instead of a ramp it's because I plan to model a crane. Smile
Angel mired in filth