Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggle for Crossroads
07-09-2004, 10:35 PM,
Struggle for Crossroads
This is a suggested faction quest for House Redoran, which I'd like to do. It's just theoretical at the moment and might change some things that are already established... so I'd like to get feedback on it, if I can.

House Hlaalu has made yet another bold move into Redoran territory, by establishing a toll station between Crossroads and Reich Parkeep. Apart from putting Crossroads under Hlaalu control, they exact tax on all trade going north. This makes Master Lord Areya furious, and he request that the player work undercover together with agents already in Crossroads in destroying the Hlaalu toll station. The guards and tax men there must be slain, and the profits they have collected must be returned to Redoran coffers.

Areya feels that the Hlaalu must be pushed back, but he knows that Redoran can't win an all-out war at this point - so it's crucial the player works undercover on this mission. Some people in Crossroads are loyal to Hlaalu, others to Redoran, and without knowing who supports who, everyone in Crossroads must believe that the attack was orchestrated by angry locals.
* Areya supplies the player with a suitable disguise, and if the player isn't wearing it when attacking the guards, the mission will fail.
* If the player attacks during daytime, the mission will fail - he will be recognized as the prominent Redoran adventurer everyone knows him to be.
* If the player doesn't use specific weapon types in the battle, the mission will fail -- no farmer is likely to ever have seen a Daedric dai-katana... instead it's low-quality weapons only (I've yet to decide which; I'll probably look around for suitable weapons on the 'net... a hayfork would be cool.)

Failing the mission in this way means that the toll station stays in place, while Areya is forced to pay a hefty restitution to House Hlaalu. The player could make an effort to earn his way back into Areya's grace by paying the restitution in full himself, but with the loss of Redoran territory, he'll be put further back in House Redoran than if he never took the job.

I think it will be a good challenge for players used to heavy armor and daedric weapons to suddenly find themselves forced to fight without armor and with a perhaps unfamiliar weapon. The quest is thought to fit in with Zarkis' main quest idea, where the two houses are brought to the brink of civil war.

The player can choose to avail himself of local agents in Crossroads, which have been sent out ahead of the player's acceptance of the quest. Asking them to join in will make things easier, but the rewards might not be as great. The player can always choose to go alone, for example by never talking to those agents. If the player completes the mission successfully, the agents will stay behind and destroy the toll station, meaning I'll delete the statics while the player isn't looking.

The quest can also be expanded at a later date into a mirror quest for House Hlaalu, which would then entail killing the agents I mentioned.

The toll station and accompanying Hlaalu guards and Redoran agents will probably not exist at all before the player takes on the quest (for either side). I think those effects make the world feel more alive, and that the world changes over time.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-09-2004, 10:46 PM,

I like the idea, and think it's good. but how would hlaalu get the toll station legally set up there?
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
07-10-2004, 09:01 AM,

Hmm, that's a good question. Perhaps the empire isn't concerned with internal dunmer trade?

The empire might get profit from taxing a Dres farmer directly, and don't care if he wants to haul his cornberry baskets up to Blacklight and sell them there? House Hlaalu on the other hand might have an interest in hindering profits falling into Redoran hands, and want to keep the goods in Hlaalu territory, so they would use the tax as an incentive for traders to stay home. The empire, not particularly concerned about internal dunmer matters as long as everyone obeys the imperial rule, might not care about Hlaalu collecting taxes on trade.

Would that be an ok explanation?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
07-10-2004, 01:23 PM,

Yeah, it works. Big Grin

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
05-13-2005, 02:01 AM,

@ Valderon: If it's okay with you, I'd like to use this idea for the Oblivion mod (it wasn't used in the Morrowind mod). If not, kindly move this thread back to the (Morrowind) Quest Suggestions board.
Angel mired in filth
05-13-2005, 04:19 PM,

Nice work Razorwing. I am for this one...

Ben
So what happened to the Dwemer?
05-13-2005, 06:47 PM,

I'll also offer my support for this one, once again. Cool

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
05-13-2005, 07:58 PM,

Thanks guys :crown:
Angel mired in filth
05-13-2005, 09:27 PM,

I like this idea, very realistic.
Where does the light come from? ...
The same place as the music
-----
Mods Downloads
05-14-2005, 12:50 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by kalikut
I like this idea, very realistic.

Thanks kali Smile

I think I might model a farm weapon when I'm done with the Hlaalu Council Building. Should be fun Smile
Angel mired in filth