Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search for the next mayor of... Ebbedin!
06-17-2006, 11:37 PM,

Huh, that's strange. I thought for sure it was SpeedTree, because even if those grass objects had been planes, I would have imagined a thousand animated models on the screen would have made the game crash and burn. If they had been spritebased, which I thought they were, it would have been a totally different matter since sprites are literally painted on your screen as you view them. (just thinking out loud)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-19-2006, 02:49 AM,

Well, I now know just about everything I need to know about extracting/importing textures in the CS! Failed exparament after failed exparament, I think I finally have a basic set of edited textures that represent the bitter coast. Not that that is the end of my problems though. If you look at screenie 1, its a rather nice representation of my textures, and looks a good deal like the bitter coast. If we wait until around high noon however(screenie 3).... holy crap! Someone turn out the lights! Tongue I was suprised by how drastic light level changes were! They make my dark moss look like a bright green field. So, more editing shall be done.

My second thing is grass. I was hoping that I could apply a couple of blackwood ferns to my textures and be done with it, but if you take a look at screenie 3, it just looks awkward. (at least it does to me) Sooo, I tried to do some edits to them like I did with landtextures. Unfortunatly my custom edits seemed to screw up the model's opacity maps, and they don't show up when I try and test them in game. Even so, I don't think my edits really do Bitter coast plants justice (after all, im only changing colors Smile). At some point, new plant models will have to be created for use as grass, ones that look a bit more arid, and exotic. Though we would have to confirm that you don't need speedtree to make them. (im still not sure about that one, more testing is in order)

Anyways, this is turning out to be alot more work than I thought! Little did I know I would be designing a ST recource pack for Bitter Coast. Big Grin Actually setting Ebbedin up will be a piece of cake after im through with this. (I had a rudimentary setup already that I deleted since I needed to rework the landscape so much)

In the mean time, if anyone has questions about landscape texturing, I am quickley becoming an expert on the subject. :lmao:
06-19-2006, 03:47 AM,

Just a quick question, do textures have normal maps or glow maps? if so the problem may lie there.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
06-19-2006, 04:00 AM,

They have normal maps yes. Actually, I don't think I tried using those! Silly me, ill see how they look with them.

EDIT: Bingo! Normal maps did the trick, no more radioactive ground during daylight hours. Big Grin (I still can't believe I forgot about that. I remember browsing past the normal maps going "ill grab those later", never did)

Oh were you talking about the grass too by chance? Im 99.999% sure those don't have normal maps.

BTW: Razorwing, I found the bitter coast texture pack called "Swampy Swamps" I believe. The Landtextures didn't tile too well so I didn't use them, but tree and rock textures are rather nice, I may use them if I decide to make some static trees myself. (If I do it would probably go behind Redoran Interiors on the to do list)
06-19-2006, 07:41 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Caligula Superfly
BTW: Razorwing, I found the bitter coast texture pack called "Swampy Swamps" I believe. The Landtextures didn't tile too well so I didn't use them, but tree and rock textures are rather nice, I may use them if I decide to make some static trees myself. (If I do it would probably go behind Redoran Interiors on the to do list)

Cool Big Grin
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-22-2006, 04:29 AM,

I think we should try to stay away from Oblivion's textures. They're pretty bad. The only thing that kinda saves them are the normal and specular maps.
07-24-2006, 05:12 PM,

When Caligula Superfly went on his indefinite absence he withdrew his claim to Ebbedin and left it open for others to pick up, if they wanted to. Would anyone be interested in that? Smile
Angel mired in filth
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
When Caligula Superfly went on his indefinite absence he withdrew his claim to Ebbedin and left it open for others to pick up, if they wanted to. Would anyone be interested in that? Smile

Where does he have to go??
07-24-2006, 06:01 PM,

Taking a leave of absence
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
07-24-2006, 07:18 PM,

Can I be mayor of Ebbedin? I can do the exteriors, then I'll make claims for houses and quests if thats all right. I can't do houses and NPC and quests and that sort, but I can make things look nice......

Thats all I need to do right, the exterior?
Lol what?