Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These computers, can they run Oblivion?
04-22-2007, 07:57 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
so this is with parts from a place like newegg or from that XPS210 ?
That would be XPS210 after customization.
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.
04-22-2007, 08:29 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by WhiteWizard
Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
so this is with parts from a place like newegg or from that XPS210 ?
That would be XPS210 after customization.
ahh I see

Intel? Core?2 Duo Processor E6300 (2MB L2 Cache,1.86GHz,1066 FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache?
24X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive
No Monitor
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
etc.etc.

looks good, but, I have a question...
is it worth the $ to get the 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs to 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs [add $130]? Cause ya'll said at least 1 GB RAM....
and also, is it worth the $ to change Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio for Integrated Sound Blaster?Audigy? HD Software Edition for $25
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM,

That last question there's outside my range of expertise. I will say that one of the reasons i reccommend 1GB ram is because i like being able to run the CS, multiple instances of NifSkope, iTunes, Internet, and download something at the same time. From what i understand, ram is what facilitates multiple programs running at the same time. More ram = more programs running faster.

Also, if you can find out what you need to upgrade, i'd just suggest upgrading your computer. You don't need a new keyboard, mouse, moniter, hard drive, computer case, power supply, or completely new ram. The only things i can think of that you could need to upgrade are motherboard, video card, and put in more ram. Probably just video card and ram, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Just do a few google searches, look for the current video cards, look on newegg for prices and reviews, maybe do some comparison shopping, look at compUSA or a similar computer store, and see what the best price you can get is. You can probably get a decent video card for around $150 from what i've heard (one better than mine at least!). Getting the ram is pretty straightforward, you just might want to check what kind of ram you have, and preferably order same type and company. You MAY have to open your computer case and look at the chip.

As for video cards, here's a link to a newegg page http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory....ideo-Cards

Not sure which is best one, so look up the specs yourself. Sorry i can't be of much help with comparisons, but that's what google was made for wasn't it? I would definitely suggest considering upgrading your computer. It's just good to know how to do, and means you don't have to transfer hard drive info, or install your old hard drive into a new computer.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
04-22-2007, 10:09 PM,

I thought that oblvion was very RAM-consuming, so a good RAM should be needed.
04-22-2007, 10:16 PM,

I agree with blackbird. I have 1 gig of RAM myself and it is not nearly enough to be able to work fluidly in the Construction Set. I mean it works okay, but it's annoying at times when working in a worldspace. I don't think you would regret going all-out and getting 4 gigs of memory, but if it turns out to cost too much, 1 gigabyte RAM won't affect you that much in my opinion.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM,

Four gigs :eek: i wish i had that much money....

Something of note for the video cards is Asus's trade-up program
http://shop.ati.com/tradeup.asp

Buy one of the video cards they have in the trade-up program, and then send in any old video card and they'll give you a $50 rebate. I'm considering getting the X1650 Pro. It's got 512 MB ram (4x my old card), 128 bit memory interface, and it's gotten pretty good reviews. I figure if i can get it for $150 after the trade-in, it's a pretty good deal. Plus it's AGP, not PCI, so my computer won't scream at me for using it. Be sure to check if your motherboard's video slot is PCI or AGP format. AGP is older.

of note, you can send in any video card for this, so i'm sending in my dad's old GeForce3, getting the $50 rebate, and then putting my old card in his machine, and taking the new card for myself. Only barrier is that i'll probably never stop procrastinating
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
04-24-2007, 10:37 PM,

ME HATE DELL :chaos:

I run obliv on an uber sized laptop... carrying the thing is a bad shoulder ache....
Quote:A_flyboy: p.s. teabagging banana! ==>:bananarock:<== oh no a michal jackson class noob!!!!!!
final reclaimer: woohoo MC teabag time
Quote:Arbiter
Hmm.... the Guar Chief speaks of epic en devour. Big Grin
04-25-2007, 03:28 PM,

I think youll need a better graphics card if you wish to play the game on a higher resolution than 640x480... Ive got a dell myself, bought it two years ago and it runs oblivion OK.. its the Dell Dimension 9150 the only thing ive upgraded is the graphics card which now is an x850xt.. however my oblivion is still pretty laggy running it at 1024x768 no AA and fake HDR i get about 20-25 fps.. ive got 2 gigs of ram btw and 3.2 ghz P4 processor... i would definately recommend that you bought a better Gfx card, atleast a x1800xt or 7900gt...
Hide the petals underneath that bedroom floorboard
and they will wither without fail or success.
Put the people in the hollow box they crafted,
bolt the doors and watch them perish.
04-25-2007, 11:38 PM,

So what's a good card that doesn't cost craploads of $$. I need a new card, and my budget is in the sub $200 range. I have to put every visual setting on lowest, and it still runs really slowly. I desperately need a new, good card. Any suggestions?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
04-26-2007, 12:22 AM,

After going through newegg, I found this right away:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130074
A bit worse, but allot cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814150182
(this one I'm considering buy8ing myself)
My mage is an honor student at the Arcane University.