Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WIP] My Summer Project
06-15-2007, 02:28 AM,

I think we'll be fine with stock, many thanks though!

And Ku, I think I'm pretty content with what we have fleshed out here, though I'm not sure what sieg thinks (Only other really contributing person so far, so I wanna hear his oppinion too).
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
06-15-2007, 03:04 AM,

I haven't played through Shivering Isles yet (I've got it though, just don't have a character that I'm ready to go through it with), so I'm not exactly sure what town in SI is Passwall Wink

About the catalyst, I was thinking about it, and what if the one that had really caused the problem was a Redguard, not the whole population, but an individual. Anyhow I have 2 ideas with the undead theme:

1) A Redguard Pirate Captain who has retired (his crew all settles down or abandons him) starts studying some old necromancer tomes he came across in his plundering and pillaging. He learns how to wield the dark arts. Since he would like to return to the sea, he uses his black magic to raise a sunken ship and a skeleton crew from the depths, and then goes about terrorizing the island and surrounding seas. He is only stopped when confronted by the Imperial Navy, and his ship is borded by Battlemages who counter his black magic. The people of Sabbat blame the Redguard community as a whole for this, and drive them out of the city.

2nd, and better idea) A Redguard Pirate Captain who has retired (his crew all settles down or abandons him) starts studying some old necromancer tomes he came across in his plundering and pillaging. He learns how to wield the dark arts. He misses the old days of having leadership and power, and so in secret he raises an undead horde from out of the ocean and makes them march on Sabbat, but allows his undead to be defeated. He leaves clues and evidence around that make it appear as though the Redguard community as a whole helped summon the horde. In anger, the other citizens of Sabbat band together and try to wipe out the Redguards. Of course the Redguards have no clue what is going on, they don't even know the Captain had anything to do with it. So when the town rises up against them, naturally they rally around the captain because of his combat and leadership experience. With them he manages to escape to the north and found Haven-- and once again he is in power.

Of course this "idea" only goes down one general narrow path. There might be other, better stuff out there. Hell we don't even have to have undead if we can come up with something more original, but I thought I would just throw this out there. The second idea at least has kind of an interesting twist as the heart of the conflict between the two towns was betrayal and deceit by one of the oppressed so to speak.

I wouldn't mind helping out on the mod some. I'll mostly be doing just ideas and stuff for now-- I'm really busy this summer, and I can't claim anything right away, as I have other projects I want to wrap up first. Once I'm free though I'd be happy to detail some exteriors or create a cave or something.
06-15-2007, 03:09 AM,

Looking forward to the help Wink

I am very fond of the second idea, but can we add another twist?

He didn't study old texts, he had a teacher. That teacher gathered the hate and fear of the people and used it as a resource to revive the defeated skeleton army, he is steadily growing his legions in order to use it for a far more sinister purpose.

He never does of course, because of a little thing called the player.

Gives the player something to do and still be a part of the plot of the quest.
06-15-2007, 03:17 AM,

Yeah sure I'm all for it. So is this teacher apart of the community in Sabbat? Or does he live off in some remote cave an practice his rituals there? Also how long ago do we want this "skeleton invasion" to have taken place?
06-15-2007, 03:20 AM,

Hmm, long enough ago for a settlement to exist, and for only the old to remember it so... 50 years ago?
06-15-2007, 09:10 AM,

Sure, 50 years sounds reasonable. Should the old captain still be around, sustained by black magics?

Also, can we come up with anything more original than undead? I mean, could he have cast some spell that lures nasty critters out of the sea to attack the town (all that comes to mind at the moment is dreugh, but maybe you have some better ideas)?

Architecture and other resources for the island. Do you want to do a lot of retextures, or very little? Do you have any exterior resources in mind? For towns how about Passwall for one town, and then either Anvil (for Sabbat) or Bravil (for Haven). So we have one SI architecture set and one OB set.
06-15-2007, 09:14 AM,

First off, bravil is a pain in the ass. Seriously, no single story meshes.

I am rather fond of a skeleton army, notice we aren't doing very much at all original, we are adding what oblivion lacks. Good 'ol fashioned, lore abiding, content. We could do the skeleton army very well, it could be suitably epic and make for a fine quest.

I'm all for passwall and anvil, I'd love to see a passwall Sabbat, but I know it makes more sense for Haven.

All for one SI, on OB.

I'd prefer minimal new resources made by us, just good use of already extant content.

Exterior resources? Real swords comes to mind, so does a number of cutlass mods.

Sure, the captain would be some fun dialogue and make for a nice boss fight.
06-15-2007, 06:37 PM,

Ok, so what are we going to use in the way of resources specifically? Tree-types, rock sets, ect, and are we going to use anything from Valenwood? Also is the terrain all going to be the same on the island, or will the north and south differ at all?

I just ask this because I personally, at least before I ever try building a city, like to do a quick little test and just throw all my resources down together, arrange them to look pretty, and then see what combinations look best. It really is helpful in selecting the architecture for a city.

Hmmm, a Passwall Sabbat could be very cool, but I just don't think the anvil style would work properly for Haven if you know what I mean.
06-15-2007, 07:42 PM,

Don't redguards traditionally have extremely strong prejudices against magick, particularly necromancy? That's what the redguard in the cheydinhal mages guild says, and it's kind of unlikely that a city of redguards is driven away because they're all necromancers.

I'd find it more likely that the altemer were just their usual arrogent selves, the redguards were their usual stubborn warrior-type selves, and their prejudice against magicka (also i think against mysticism) caused conflict in the town... maybe the altmer perpetuated something and the redguards just left?

Just a suggestion/clarification of lore

I'd do an interior or two but i don't have SI
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
06-15-2007, 08:30 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
Don't redguards traditionally have extremely strong prejudices against magick, particularly necromancy? That's what the redguard in the cheydinhal mages guild says, and it's kind of unlikely that a city of redguards is driven away because they're all necromancers.
But they aren't all necromancers, only 1 is, but he sets it up to make it look like its the whole community.

Oh yeah, and here's a quest idea I came up with while mowing the lawn:
The Alchemist/Healer/Witch-Doctor whatever you want him to be in Haven is working on a potion to heal a terribly sick man in the community. For it he needs 2 very rare mushrooms and a flower that grow only in the most remote parts of the island (the mushrooms can just be recolors of existing 'shrooms).

That's where you come in. You have to climb to the top of a great rock formation in the center of the island to find the 1st mushroom (you'll fight some sort of nasty critters on the way up). The second mushroom is found deep within a marshy cave off the southern-most tip of the island. They can only grow in pitch blackness, but are fluorescent. Lastly, you must journey to a small inlet in the northern part of the island where you must pick a beautiful pink. Legend has it that the flower sprouted over the grave of two lovers-- one from Sabbat and one from Haven, who were slain on the spot by angry relatives who could not except their love.

Bring the 3 ingredients back to the witch-doctor and he will wip up the healing brew and give it to his patient. In return you get an enchanted amulet and a few heal potions from him