Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What size do you want TESV to be?
12-15-2010, 06:10 AM,
What size do you want TESV to be?
Have a look at this map for reference.

How large do you want TESV to be?
I would say about twice as large as Cyrodiil. What needs to be done however is that the terrain needs to be tough enough so that the player doesn't always have line of sight to each landmark.
In OB if the player was at Bruma or Dive Rock they could basically see all of Cyrodiil.
In reality the Jerral Mountains should be the northen reaches of Cyrodiil and not the hills above the Imperial city.
Cyrodiil basically was one huge valley.
You could almost always get from point A to B the way the crow files.
The other thing that needs to be sacked is fast travel. Instead Morrowind silt strider like travel should be implemented.
The other thing that needs changes is the movemnt speed.
The base player movement speed should be slower, while horse travel should be faster.
That way horses would have more of a purposeful role.
What do you think?
12-15-2010, 10:36 AM,

Interesting to see TES2 is still on top as the largest game world ever.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-15-2010, 10:40 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Interesting to see TES2 is still on top as the largest game world ever.

IMO no game world will EVER top Daggerfall. I believe it is two Great Britans in size. Which is really quite scary.
The only possible challenger would be Second Life. But that is infintie in size, if the fanbase there wants to keep building, they can.
12-15-2010, 05:53 PM,

I'd like it to be big, who wouldn't? But it would be quite useless if it's all just randomly generated and you know that there is no benefit from exploring this piece of land as opposed to the one beside it. So I would also like tons of detail, making each section unique and interesting in some way (spoiled as a child obviously Big Grin ). Oblivion was some odd mix that it was neither detailed or big. I'd like the exact opposite basically. Now I know that not every cell can be it's own because that wouldn't make sense what so ever, but something along the lines of Unique Landscapes mod would be nice.

Also here's some food for thought. Who's to say that our view of cells, and everything else that comes with nearly ten years of modding TES, is in any way valid? With a new engine come new tools and new ways of doing pretty much everything, right?
To answer your question, yes. But probably no.
12-15-2010, 08:12 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by FLESH
I'd like it to be big, who wouldn't? But it would be quite useless if it's all just randomly generated and you know that there is no benefit from exploring this piece of land as opposed to the one beside it. So I would also like tons of detail, making each section unique and interesting in some way (spoiled as a child obviously Big Grin ). Oblivion was some odd mix that it was neither detailed or big. I'd like the exact opposite basically. Now I know that not every cell can be it's own because that wouldn't make sense what so ever, but something along the lines of Unique Landscapes mod would be nice.

Also here's some food for thought. Who's to say that our view of cells, and everything else that comes with nearly ten years of modding TES, is in any way valid? With a new engine come new tools and new ways of doing pretty much everything, right?

IMO it doesn't need to be litreally big, but it needs to feel big.
Putting a mountain range between two cities would suddenly make that journey fell far, far longer than it actually is.
Using that teqnique you could get a game that feels big but is truly not a whole lot bigger than Oblivion.
12-15-2010, 08:28 PM,

Hmm I don't know. I don't think that could work in every case, you're bound to have LOS be clear between atleast two cities. Once you start a journey between them and notice it doesnt really take that long wouldn't the illusion be shattered?
12-15-2010, 08:33 PM,

It worked in Morrowind.
Morrowind was smaller than OB but felt larger.
One reason was because you could never go as the crow flies.
12-15-2010, 08:43 PM,

Weren't the cells bigger, or something like that? Which in reality made Morrowind bigger than Oblivion. I'm fairly detached from all of this at the moment so pardon my dust.
12-15-2010, 08:54 PM,

If you put 4 OB cells in every Morrowind cell it is still a bit bigger.

1 MW cell = 4 OB cells.
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM,

Oh ok fair enough. The other thing as you mentioned is fast travel, which takes away pretty much any point to having a large map IMO. So I agree with going back to the way morrowind did it.