Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another Voice
06-16-2007, 12:00 AM,
Yet Another Voice
As I said in another post, after 30 years of whiskey & cigarettes, I actually sound like an ash-breathing Dunmer. My friend from Glasgow can do a great Nord...my Armenian girlfriend sounds just like the female Dunmers in Morrowind & my Greek friend can do either a Khajiit or an Argonian. It seems I have most of the races right here at hand. I don't know about you folks, but I never liked the Bosmer or Altmer voices; & as for the Redguards...well...I killed the first several I met as I thought they were insulting me. "Call me "Dumner", will you?" None of these people should sound like any typical American you'd meet on the street...it's another world after all. I think we could do better for those latter 3 races than Bethesda did. Hammerfell has a vaguely middle-eastern flavored culture, don't you think that redguards should have a vaguely middle-eastern sounding accent...instead of an American negro one? The Bretons sound like American midwesterners...I can think of 3 French people here in my neighborhood who'd make better Bretons than that. Give me some scripts to read & we'll sit around & have fun with them...& perhaps make a useful contribution to ST in the process...
"Remember yourself always & everywhere. The highest that a man can attain is to be able to do"
G.I.Gurdjieff
06-17-2007, 07:55 AM,

You sound very talented :yes:

Maybe you could say some things like n'wah, I will listen outlander but make it quick,... So whe could here som?e samples of your voice?
06-19-2007, 03:30 AM,

I agree with kingevil's suggestion. You should upload a voice sample in mp3 form Smile I don't doubt your scratchy voice but the technical side of things is sometimes an issue. Electric humming or poor recording equipment can marr the impression of even the very best of voices. I got a basic mike with a long chord for like fifteen bucks so something like that takes care of both those problems.

Apart from kingevil's suggestion, could I pitch that you record a set of battle dialogue? It could be modelled word-for-word on Bethesda's dialogue without a problem, or you're welcome to use your imagination. Because I was thinking if you did that then we could use your voice for all our Dunmer villains, who would only ever have battle dialogue.

I think the lines you would need to record are as follows, but there could be more - I'm not an expert:
Conversation > FearGeneral*
Conversation > Hello
Combat > (everything)
Detection > (everything)
Misc > Corpse**
Misc > Idle
* If it's a really cowardly villain, like a weak boss with strong henchmen
** If the player kills a henchman, hides, then another henchman patrols by and finds the corpse
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-20-2007, 06:12 PM,

While my computer is capable of recording Mp3s, all I possess is a simple microphone to record with. However, I'll experiment & see how it turns out. Next Monday evening my friends & I are having a gathering & I'll put this to them, perhaps even do some recording on the spot. They're from a variety of different countries & all have interesting accents. None of them are TES players & are rather amused at my somewhat "childish" hobby...Perhaps this project will help to convert them. Last night I was listening to an Argonian ingame & realised that a lot of the voices in Oblivion are disappointing. The Dunmer & Altmer sound alike, the Dunmer lacking that familiar rasp we came to expect as far back as Daggerfall. I remember that the Argonians used to have a vaguely Russian sounding accent...there are a lot of Russians around here. The beast races should have a non-human quality to them...My cat, Saiba, is tutoring me in Khajiiti...
"Remember yourself always & everywhere. The highest that a man can attain is to be able to do"
G.I.Gurdjieff
06-20-2007, 08:51 PM,

Doesn't have to mp3, you could 7zip a wav file instead if that's easier. Looking forward to it Smile

Since our mod is so closely influenced by TES3 I guess Morrowind would win over Daggerfall when it came to the style of voices? Because I imagine players would want our NPCs to sound like they did in that game. I guess the Argonians had lost that Russian tint in their voices between TES2 and TES3 because I don't recall it from Morrowind, but they've always had that East-Europe feel to them I think.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-21-2007, 08:31 AM,

That's awesome, especially because you can do raspy Dunmer, because I guess Vvardenfell will need those urgently.
Really looking forward to hearing your samples when you're able to post them. :goodjob:
The Forgotten Ones have returned.
07-16-2007, 07:10 AM,

The raspy Morrowind Dunmer is my favorite voice ever. I was disappointed when Oblivion failed to uphold the tradition ... I can do a decent mimic of that voice, if there's need for it.
Dl link
/ Edited by Razorwing. For listener's convenience I converted the wav file to mp3 and attached it to this post.
I am a voice-actor.
http://fddlrnthrf.livejournal.com
07-16-2007, 10:41 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Fddlrnthrf
The raspy Morrowind Dunmer is my favorite voice ever. I was disappointed when Oblivion failed to uphold the tradition ... I can do a decent mimic of that voice, if there's need for it.

You do a great job of resembling their style of voice, very fine work Fddlrnthrf! The only thing I can think of that wasn't perfect was the "puh" sound traces that results when the microphone is too close.

Do you think you could do voice work for Tavo Talds, the guide that welcomes players to our landmass? Most players talk to him, so having his dialogue voiced would have a good impact. The character's ID is StSrTavoTalds STLandHouseGuide.
Angel mired in filth
08-03-2007, 11:14 PM,

Yes. =)
I am a voice-actor.
http://fddlrnthrf.livejournal.com
08-19-2007, 09:52 PM,

thank the lord sheograth I was wondering when that was going to get done!