Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
computeeeer
09-01-2008, 05:30 PM,
computeeeer
so i got a new computer. it's pretty good i guess, 1 gb. of RAM, 2.20ghz processor blah blah blah.

problem is, the video card is not working so well. Playing oblivion is nearly unbearable; with graphics settings as far down as i can get them, it skips and lags like nobodie's business.

I thought it might have something to do with Vista, but i couldn't find much evidence that it'd be too big of a problem.

any advice? :/
09-01-2008, 06:04 PM,
RE: computeeeer
I play on Vista and I only get lag where there's lots of grass. Damn grass...
09-01-2008, 06:24 PM,

I don't use Vista but I'm told by some people that it is indeed a big drain on your PC's resources. My PC ain't super-quick either so I decided not to bother with it. Yes, I'm afraid you'll probably need a graphics card. What size memory does your present one have?

Someone here on the forums might have a spare one that they can send to you, if they're feeling particularly generous. I recently upgraded mine but that was because my earlier card had died a death. Otherwise, I'd send you my old one.

I wonder if Zurke still has a spare one. Failing that, you can buy some pretty decent ones nowadays for a good price. If you're willing to get one via ebay then I've seen some 256mb cards (the same size as my old one, which was perfectly good) go for about £15. That may go up to around £25-30 for the really good ones. A 128mb card should just about do the job (but not look very pretty at all). You can buy a Geforce 128mb card for between £10-15 no problem.

Take with ebay though, if you do take that option. And try to look out for reviews of the card before you decide to buy it. This one I'm using was a bit of a bargain and it's possibly the best of its memory size range for AGP slots.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-01-2008, 08:46 PM,

GoatsOnBoat

I know the felling, I'm also running Oblivion on Vista with quite good hardware stats, 2 GB RAM 3.85GHz etc. processor. When you are buying a new PC, you should always check the video card compability and/or every detail of that card, the only minus in my laptop is the video card, GeForce 7000M which causes Oblivion to lag always(pixel shader 2.0, I use oldblivion). Darn I hate that card...

Have you tried to run Oblivion under Oldblivion?
It might help with all the lagging and skipping. Smile

Shinigami42

You can actually put the Grass off... Smile

Hope that helped...
Programming language knowledge: C#(+XNA), Python, C++, main interest is game programming with so far a few succesfull test projects on the first two platforms.

Anyone interested in chess, challenge me on chess.com!
09-04-2008, 12:38 AM,

I've had an issue like this with a very similar computer. Apparently there was something wrong with the driver. Perhaps you should see if you have the correct driver installed on your computer. I changed my driver and now it works perfectly fine!
I am a classic OB gamer, playing it with my old 128mB card, and I have little to no issues. If issues do arise, like moderate lag, perhaps you should use Oldblivion like others suggested earlier.
I walk alone along the road of life.

[Image: banner27.gif]
09-05-2008, 05:17 AM,

thanks all :yes:

I haven't had time to try anything really, but i installed oldblivion (what a great name.)
09-07-2008, 02:36 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost

I wonder if Zurke still has a spare one.

I still have two spare ones, but I am 1400 miles from them. I would have been glad to help out.

I was also using 3danalyze with two of the settings checked. It worked for me for awhile on my old machine. I can help you with the settings if you choose that route.
09-08-2008, 01:33 AM,

oh, goodness.

i tried playing, even after a disk defragment, updating drivers and installing oldblivion and it was still incredibly unfair how slow the game was running.

hegemege might be right about getting a new video card.

unfortunately.