Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
speedtree crash problem
02-14-2009, 08:40 AM,

I've had partial success with the following technique:

Create a new object.
rename everything starting as Treexxxxxx.spt
All files must have the same naming, DDS textures, Billboard and meshes.
Use the vanilla folders.

I can't say this works 100%and I have limited experience with spt files but so far I've exported a few trees. nothing like trying it.

PS remember textures are DX3 with a power of 2 only.
02-14-2009, 10:54 AM,

Nope....tried it....didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow. Anyone got any other ideas?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM,

I've been fiddling around with this lately, I can export with no crash most of the trees, using the same principle above, same name, same billboard.
my only barrier so far for is that I can't get the leaves to show up, just the trunk, pretty sure this could be a settings issue, does anyone know the right settings for these textures?
I'm using speedtree3 and 4 but the problem persists.
02-16-2009, 08:04 PM,

Have you navigated to the 'Tree' section of the Object Window, not the 'Static'-'Trees' section, however, but the one at the very bottom in bold type. Right-click somewhere in the 'Editor ID' panel and select 'new'. Name your tree in the ID window, select your spt file and then select a leaf texture (which should be found in the Data-Textures-Trees-Leaves folder. I don't think you have to add a speedtree number (not sure though) but if you then click okay and drag the file that you will find in the object window into the render window then it should work.......except it refuses to work for me because it hates me! :poorme:

Please try to avoid hi-jacking my 'plea for help' thread.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
02-16-2009, 09:50 PM,

Please,somebody!Help for Ibsen.
02-16-2009, 11:31 PM,

I think I found out what's happening, basically Oblivion doesn't seems to take the brunches section of the tree, because I'm trying to export palmtrees (foliage is mostly the brunch and no leaves). this leaves me with just a visible trunk.
Ibsen - which trees are you struggling with, and are you using speedtree 3 or 4?
02-17-2009, 01:03 AM,

They're all jungle trees for Black Marsh so I don't think you'll be familiar with them, JB. I tend to use the BMCandlenutTree01.spt as a test model but I've tried various others using the same methods and no luck.

As for speedtree, I have it in my downloads section ready to use. I don't know what version it is but I only opened it once and didn't get it so I gave up and uninstalled it. Do you think I would need to have it installed in order to get the trees into the CS? I suppose it's worth a try....although most of the trees that you get are speedtrees and I've never had a problem with those (except I've never had to introduce one into the CS before).
02-17-2009, 09:45 AM,

You definitely need SpeedTree installed and going in order to export any Speedtree into Oblivion, 3 or 4, I use both, I'll be busy today but I'll see if I have that tree of yours and I’ll try to install it.

For you project I imagine you'll use see a lot of dead/swampy trees, no foliage at all, yesterday i was browsing Renderosity free section and I did see a lot of interesting models.

Btw1 -
Do you have/need a swamp water texture?

Btw2
There's a lot of interesting junglestuff in Konikut's resources, also Siegfred has more trees to add.
02-17-2009, 11:34 AM,

Thanks JB. I'll check that out (getting Speedtree installed again) and report back. And yes, it would be nice to see more trees. I already have plenty of trees but I want to make the best selection so it would be cool to check out those resources. Where can I find Konikut's resources?

And we would also definitely have need of a swamp water texture!
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM,

Now I'm really baffled! I installed Speedtree RT successfully....except there's no link to any program anywhere where I can go into the program itself even though it's in my 'all programs' list and clearly looks like the installation was successful, as it told me. The website says this program is 'middleware' which I presume means that some other program needs to be installed in order to use it but it doesn't say what....? ?(

There seem to be tons of programs to get hold of before I can even get close to using these files. There's SpeedtreeCAD, SpeedtreeMAX and, of course, this huge 3dsmax program. Do I need to get 3dsmax as well? Jay-sus Ker-ryst!

btw, I tried bringing the speedtree into the CS....it crashed as usual!