Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Morrowind Civil War - info here
04-21-2006, 12:20 AM,
the Morrowind Civil War - info here
here is a link to a ESForum Lore discussion- Helseth

now this info is official, from the pocket guide
Quote:Originally posted by DurandelDG
Thank you Loranna, her posts always help the debates. Here is some more information to help:

--------------------------------------------

I bought the collectors edition, so I sat down and read the new Pocket Guide concerning current events in Morrowind. I'd retype it, but it's lengthy, so I'll truncate it, with my suggestions in brackets.

- When Helseth was crowned a Nord diplomat said he was "...manipulative, ruthless, and calculating. He is exactly was Morrowind needs."

[Perhaps the Nord invasion of Redoran lands was started by Helseth?]

- The young kind has been an "enigma, both to outside observers and to his own subjects." Example:

Helseth's edict that abolished slavery was in accordance with the Empire's wishes, and seemed "designed to dismantle the traditional power structures of the Dunmer." Yet he later reformed the Grand Council, "which includes the heads of all the Great Houses" and was seen a a "return to more traditional Dunmer ways."

- The reaction to the anti-slavery edict was "bloody" but "the alliances formed were far from expected." Helseth is then quoted saying "If there is to be a revolution, it is best done by a King."

[well Beth says here that the joining of Hlaalu and Dres was "far from expected." Perhaps there is more to the story we have yet to hear.]

- The Great Houses, "long stagnant," are adjusting with House Dres and Hlaalu being on the rise as they are "embracing new traditions while welcoming the return to the old."

[Perhaps this explains more of why Dres joined with Hlaalu, as they compromised in their approach of the future.]

- Other houses, "like Indoril and Redoran, seem to be waning, unable to change with the times."

[I know it pains all the Redoran supporters, but you really need to let go as the same was said about these two houses back in Morrowind.]
--------------------------------------------------
Explains why the game map lacks a border line between Black Marsh and Morrowind. I'm surprised that I never heard an ingame gossip conversation about it though...such as who is fighting it and how much land has really been reclaimed. If it's serious, then there could be other reasons why Helseth has not helped Redoran lately.

Oh if you are wondering where jfarris got that, it's from the new Pocket Guide in the Black Marsh section under current events.

this is from an RP that had several DEVs' involvement, probably close to what happened bu tnot exactyl what we are doing

Quote:Originally posted by Loranna
The funny thing is, I stink as a debator. I couldn't form a logical argument if my life depended on it Tongue

My next information is taken from our RP threads, which obviously aren't canon, but the events that happened, Ted came up with, so they have some weight as a plausable "How it could have been,", in my eyes.

The alliance with House Dres had its groundwork set before the civil war broke out in Morrowind in our RP; Queen Mother Barenziah did a lot of traveling around Morrowind and seeking alliances with the individual nobles of the various Houses with the throne. Queen Dinara, then Dres Vendama, was part of this - the marriage was a political one, though Dinara has since grown to love Helseth.

(Incidentally, while Helseth may lack charm and tact himself, he has an uncanny knack for finding beautiful and charismatic women who will champion his cause. I think it's the ears Wink)

Houses Redoran and Indoril could see the King's intentions, which were admittedly rather obvious. Both Houses turned down the crown's proposed terms, and there were some bombastic words traded. Indoril even went so far as to try and attack/kidnap Barenziah while she was making alliances. That was the event which started the civil war, actually - or, you could say, Helseth's reaction to the Indoril responsible for the attempt started things off. He, ah, kind of reduced a town to smoking ruins and decimated anyone within a three mile radius; Helseth's always had problems with his temper.

So, conflict breaks out. House Dres, tied to Helseth by marriage and by Barenziah's skills at diplomacy, and House Hlaalu, tied to Helseth through blood, throw their lot in with the crown. Indoril allies with Redoran to try and take Helseth down. Telvanni stays neutral, though they were "officially" on Helseth's side. Note however, that not every member of each House went along with their party's line; one proeminent member of House Hlaalu became the Chairmer of the Indoril/Redoran alliance, intending to replace Helseth with his cousin as their puppet king when they overthrew Helseth, and several Dres nobles did NOT take to the eventual abolishment of slavery at all.

The actual abolishment of slavery happened suring the civil war; Helseth intended it to cripple his enemies financially and to cause unrest in their lands. As you can imagine, neither the Redoran nor the Indoril actually respected the abolition, but their slaves revolted. Thing is, as I understand it Helseth and Barenziah had been quietly laying groundwork for the abolition in advance, though Helseth chose to implement it before he originally planned.

So, the war goes on, both sides are slugging it out with one another. Land changes hands a lot; Indoril swallows up a lot of Dres's lands in the south, Dres swallows up a lot of Indoril land in the process, VVardenfell changes hands a couple of times, Helseth takes Solstheim ... back and forth, the fortunes swing. At one point, some more moderate members of the Redoran/Indoril alliance seek the aid of Helseth's most hated enemy, Elysana, who uses her influence to agitate the Nords into invading to reclaim Solstheim. Only thing is, the Nords don't play by the rule book and just attack Helseth; they decide to take back land they considered theirs and attack Blacklight, which at the time was Redoran territory.

We were actually having peace made between the warring Houses just before the events in Oblivion started, right in time for the BIG invasion to happen; the Nords were still giving us trouble and the peace was more of a cease-fire than anything else but it was happening. That accord happens soon after the latest Pocket Guide was published though, in mid 3E433 if I recall.

Hope that offers some helpful insights for what might have been going on in the background, or at least was interesting to read Wink Remember, the RP isn't canon, but we were trying to stay in line with what was going to be canon in the Pocket Guide.

Loranna
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM,

Death to All Elves Praise Akatosh and all the Divines long live the Empire. But if not i like dres, and redoran

Any closer to getting your computer?
Some say im here, Others say im there, but really... I am every where
Beware I am Shadow I am the darkness in the corner waiting for you to take your mind off things for a moment then I strike without hesitation and leave no trail
04-21-2006, 12:44 AM,

Keep in mind that that Pocket Guide is biased toward the Imperials. The Redorans and Indoril are being described as waning because they refuse to adjust to a king that was more than just one who held the title ceremonially, especially a king like Helseth. As stated by the Guide, he is more dismantling traditions than restoring them (he has apparently only restored the Grand Council).

(And the first thing I'm gonna do when this mod is finished is stick a nice dagger between Helseth's eyes.)
04-21-2006, 01:38 AM,

hmm... well Helseth doesn't appear often and when he does he is usualyl part of a quest... but when Vrenir is back around me and him can discuss a special secret easter egg Morag Tong quest of him going to his House Mora / Ra'athrim isle of whatever and maybe Morag Tong secretly wanting to kill him... Confusedhrug:
just an idea, don't take my word for it
04-21-2006, 02:26 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by KuKulzA
hmm... well Helseth doesn't appear often and when he does he is usualyl part of a quest... but when Vrenir is back around me and him can discuss a special secret easter egg Morag Tong quest of him going to his House Mora / Ra'athrim isle of whatever and maybe Morag Tong secretly wanting to kill him... Confusedhrug:
just an idea, don't take my word for it
Helseth supports the Dark Brotherhood, apparently, so the Morag Tong would have a good reason to be against him.