Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xae's OST Contributions (BM Soundtrack)
09-25-2009, 12:23 PM,

I don't fully understand what you mean by these prefixes, anyway I wanna clarify a few things:

1) You can detect a cell or worldspace the player is in
2) You can use StreamMusic to play a music file
3) As far as I am aware its not possible to detec the songs progress, there is no Vanilla OB support for this. But I will check to see if OBSE or its plugins offer a way to do this.

Just a quick thought is that you could use a timer, set the timer to run at the beginning of a song and then use IF statements to check for a time, say 90 seconds, then randomize another songt to play. The downside is you need to know the length of the track and how far in you want the IF statement to check for. Not the best way but I am sure it would work.

4) Randomizing songs is easy to do, an example:

Code:
Short Random

Begin Gamemode

Set Random to GetRandomPercent

If Random <= 30
;Do Something
Endif

End

5) You can achieve the same things for combat music
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
09-25-2009, 01:25 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
I don't fully understand what you mean by these prefixes, anyway I wanna clarify a few things:

1) You can detect a cell or worldspace the player is in

This is where the prefixes come in. Granted, I've never used this "dummy cell" so I may be way off track, but as far as I can recall, the detect cell/worldspace function checks for parts in the cell name that corresponds to a given string.

Say, we have two cells named "AkavirTavern" and "AkavirInn". Using the function with the string set to "Akavir" would find both these cells.

Therefore, it should be possible to group together cells using prefixes (i.e. adding the prefixes to the cell names in the CS) to make for easier music scripting?

Quote:3) As far as I am aware its not possible to detec the songs progress, there is no Vanilla OB support for this. But I will check to see if OBSE or its plugins offer a way to do this.

Just a quick thought is that you could use a timer, set the timer to run at the beginning of a song and then use IF statements to check for a time, say 90 seconds, then randomize another songt to play. The downside is you need to know the length of the track and how far in you want the IF statement to check for. Not the best way but I am sure it would work.

4) Randomizing songs is easy to do, an example:

Code:
Short Random

Begin Gamemode

Set Random to GetRandomPercent

If Random <= 30
;Do Something
Endif

End

Ah, yes, this bottom code is what I was referring to, though I confused random percent with progress. I've no real use for detecting progress, it was just what I thought I remembered the coder used to randomise. So, nevermind the progress thing.
09-25-2009, 09:21 PM,

Dummy cells are used when calling the GetInCell function for returning an outside cell, it works fine on just interior cells.

I think it would work, but the GetInCell function only reads the start of the ID so we would have to make sure it makes sense for both scripting and anyone dealing with CS work.
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
09-26-2009, 08:47 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by InsanitySorrow
Dummy cells are used when calling the GetInCell function for returning an outside cell, it works fine on just interior cells.

I think it would work, but the GetInCell function only reads the start of the ID so we would have to make sure it makes sense for both scripting and anyone dealing with CS work.

If there's another purpose that could benefit from grouping cells this way (by ID prefixes) it would get more complicated. Otherwise, if it's just music, it shouldn't be an issue. A post in the Guar or Claims explaining the use and origin of prefixes.

If the BM mod CS work was finished, how much effort would it take to add these prefixes and script them?

What do you think, Ibsen?
09-26-2009, 08:53 AM,

I know that when sandor generates the regions, it means that the cells I specified as being part of that region are automatically part of the Region Editing process. This means that regional areas are already marked out. I could be wrong about this but it would surely be possible to refer to these regional presets within a script and to have the music used accordingly. Bear in mind that for those regions that share a music selection i.e. multiple jungle regions, then you'd have to group the region selections together with the script. As we progress through the development of BM, these scripts would therefore need to be edited as more regions are added.

I could ask sandor about this. Any thoughts on the matter from a scripting point of view, IS?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-26-2009, 11:02 AM,

Since they are already grouped during generation then I don't think prefixes would be needed. I also imagine that BM is split into multiple worldspaces for each of its major sections. Which if so I could use GetInWorldSpace for specific worldspaces and play music there.

Then I would use GetInCell for interiors. The only time we would need to group cells is when you call GetInCell on an exterior cell, it would need a matching or close to matching interior cell.

So it really depends on exactly where we want music to play, but my general thinking would be that were safe for now Smile

I also realise that the scripts will need updated as the mod is developed, so I will have to make sure they are setup in an easy way so anyone can edit.
10-24-2009, 04:31 PM,

I'm going to listen to your music WHILE I model. Its quite good. Sorry I don't have much more to say : )
10-24-2009, 04:43 PM,

I really should focus on getting some stuff up on my site again though it seems like I've been interrupted by issues ever since summer. Worst stroke of luck in a long time, I must say. I thought that I'd get some extra room once my pains went away but I was hit with yet another rather large task just last week that's going to steal time away from me.
10-24-2009, 06:19 PM,

I know how you feel, Xae. I'm officially not working in RL right now but there are tons of bits of planning I need to do. Otherwise, there'd be massive updates right now.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM,

Alright, the first post has some updates now. And a nice new layout. I'm also working on putting together a little video to show the new themes along with some scenes from the various locales. I figured it'd be more interesting than staring at that weird banner on my site.