Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[3DS] Collision: the easy way out using gundalf's exporter
08-26-2006, 01:47 PM,

I got a pleasant surprise just now, as it seems that the new version of NifTools 3D Studio Max NIF exporter is able to export doublesided textures :bananarock:

So now it seems we can have both collision-enabled models and doublesided textures at the same time in exported models, allowing tapestries and awnings and other models which have planar meshes to be visible from both directions without having to doubleback the polys. Neat Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-28-2006, 07:35 AM,

jeah nice.

Hope exporting with mutiple collision meshes is next feature!
Check out our MOD in 19. century!!

Eduventure 2 - Using Videogames for Knowledge Communication
information / images / videos
08-28-2006, 04:14 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Acrobat Rieder
jeah nice.

Hope exporting with mutiple collision meshes is next feature!

You know, I would agree with you, but I made a 'mistake' with a model I exported the other day and... well... what do you make of it? Sure looks like the new version of the exporter *can* export multiple collision meshes.

[Image: th_DoubleCollisionObject.jpg]

Then again I did talk to one of their developers recently and mentioned gundalf's exporter had that capability at one point. Perhaps they dug through his old code and brought it back?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-29-2006, 04:19 AM,

Just attach all of your collision meshes together before exporting. Since the model can only be static (no havok data) it doesn't matter. OB supports this just fine, intersections and concavity are not a problem (*tested in-game* :goodjob: ).
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Leone
Just attach all of your collision meshes together before exporting. Since the model can only be static (no havok data) it doesn't matter. OB supports this just fine, intersections and concavity are not a problem (*tested in-game* :goodjob: ).

Huh. Cool Big Grin

I ran into problems on another model with multiple collision meshes, so your explanation makes perfect sense. The tileset model in my screenshot was indeed grouped.
Angel mired in filth
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM,

The exporter dosent seem to work correctly with Max6

I imported simple nifs from Blender via the WRL formal (old VRML) - it loses the UV's but so what, all I want are the colission meshes.
When exported the colission mesh(s) are invisible, and the mesh(s) are re-oriented. I repeated with one of my Max6 FarCry Mercenary files. The main character meshes were exported ok this time (but I dont know what to make of the boned stuff - it's rotated) - but no visible colission meshes.
Any ideas ???
Its a pity Nifskope cant duplicate/cut&paste colission meshes correctly, then I wouldent need to try using Max, cause the simple scalable colission meshes used in containers,tables, etc work just fine for my static models.
09-03-2006, 09:26 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Leone
Hi,

with this solution I got some great performance problems with large meshes!

This one is a part of our fortress...
[Image: festung.jpg]

und here the collision mesh, not at all very much polys, 800 or so.
[Image: collision.jpg]

But the fps goes down because the collision mesh is to big. If a chararcter stands at the gate, all polys of the large object will be tested of collision. So I divided this large mesh into multiple smaller meshes and the problem didn't appear, because just all polys are tested, the character is near by!
In fact the polygon count is the same but the polys are subdivided into smaller meshes! That's why I hope multiple collision meshes solve my problem. Then I don't have to add so much several collision meshes by hand..

greets,
Christian
Check out our MOD in 19. century!!

Eduventure 2 - Using Videogames for Knowledge Communication
information / images / videos
09-03-2006, 01:10 PM,

quote:
Originally posted by Leone
Just attach all of your collision meshes together before exporting. Since the model can only be static (no havok data) it doesn't matter. OB supports this just fine, intersections and concavity are not a problem (*tested in-game* ).
/quote

Its worth noting that there are TWO path formats (also used in Morrowind) - use '\''s if you are trying to pick up a standard Bethesda Texture, and '/' if you are picking up a local texture. Chances are your editor gnerated this error
09-03-2006, 03:18 PM,

It doesn't work! 3ds Max 8 has error when i want to export as nif file.
09-14-2006, 08:16 PM,

Nobody helps me?

Oh! Orry for my English, but i'm from Poland.