Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashunor Valley [Claimed]
02-06-2008, 04:52 AM,

@Razorwing ok im starting to get the picture with textures here. By finding them myself do you mean looking for free textures in internet sites and TES modding sites? I think the oblivion textures blackbird chose in his preset will do a reasonable job for now of giving the impression of what we want, but you're right in saying custom textures would be very nice.

A quick question - On another scouting run through TES3 Ashunor Valley i noticed patches of Gold Kanet and comberry in addition to the flora already specified. Is this out of the picture now? I dont mind too much its up to you guys.

EDIT: also, I just noticed the small 'Ashunor Boletus' mushroom in the CS. Theres only 2 in the mod so far. Is this intended for Ashunor Valley or another region?

EDIT2: @Razorwing The muckspunge models are too large. At default scale 1, they are monstrous (see screen 1 taken in the house claim I just finished. Its hard to tell scale out in the open without in game playtesting so I used an interior to help have some perspective for the plant models). The absolute largest they would ever want to be is 40% of their current size (see screen 2 and notice the dark elf near it.) This is across the board, all 6 models.
02-13-2008, 01:54 PM,

@Razorwing ill just draw your attention to the last post concerning oversized muckspunge models.

@anyone Has anyone else had troubles with region generation with getting the sink values for the larger emperor parasols correct? In the first screenshot below, the EP in the foreground is floating by a fair amount, and you can see the EP in the background sunk correctly, further shown by screenshot 2.

They are both the same type of parasol and there is only 1 of that type in my object list, so its definitely using the same sink value, its just not using it properly? Is this a known region gen bug?
02-13-2008, 05:22 PM,

I had problems too with those parasols, so I gave them a large sink value but with a minus before the number like -300.
02-13-2008, 05:37 PM,

ok thanks blackbird. i guess ill have to try and find the right balance between how many ill have to manually raise and how many ill have to manually lower.
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Shakes
A quick question - On another scouting run through TES3 Ashunor Valley I noticed patches of Gold Kanet and comberry in addition to the flora already specified. Is this out of the picture now? I dont mind too much its up to you guys.
It's reserved for the Silgrad area.

@anyone Has anyone else had troubles with region generation with getting the sink values for the larger emperor parasols correct? In the first screenshot below, the EP in the foreground is floating by a fair amount, and you can see the EP in the background sunk correctly, further shown by screenshot 2.
I used the following settings (sink value):
  • StStaticFloraParasol01 -214
  • StStaticFloraParasol04 -435
  • StStaticFloraParasol07 -50

The other types are difficult to handle within the Region Editor (RE).
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
02-13-2008, 09:26 PM,

ok thanks blackbird. I guess ill have to try and find the right balance between how many ill have to manually raise and how many ill have to manually lower.
I meant the sink value in region editor, but when everything is generated, you can still adjust them.
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM,

Sorry I missed your post Shakes. I created the muckspunges/pods based on the same scale as they were in Morrowind. When placed in an interior they look huge, but then again so does trees, parasols and rocks and I think muckspunges fill a similar role of swallowing space as those object types do.

There's an obvious alternative to object size when it comes to swallowing space and that's to use many more of them, like for instance using ten downsized shrooms instead of three at the current scale. That's not a bad way to go, so if you're ok with that then I'll go ahead and make the size adjustment. The only downside I can think of is that the shrooms lose height, so they won't be useable for hindering the player's view nor can they be used as natural barriers. But the upside is it'll probably look better.

If you like you can pitch new plants, flowers or shrooms to me that will be exclusive to Ashunor Valley, and then I might be able to model them. It would help a lot if they also exist in the real world because then I won't have much trouble finding textures for them. Smile

@Razorwing ok I'm starting to get the picture with textures here. By finding them myself do you mean looking for free textures in internet sites and TES modding sites?

Yes, pretty much. Landcape textures are just like any other texture files in Oblivion, so all you have to do after finding one is saving it as a DDS file in Photoshop to the folder Data\textures\landscape\silgrad and then hook it up in the CS to see how it looks. Morrowind retexture packs can be a great source, but internet sites can be too. Here's a collection that might have a few useful ones for instance.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-14-2008, 03:43 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Sorry I missed your post Shakes. I created the muckspunges/pods based on the same scale as they were in Morrowind.

Wow thats a shock. I guess most of the ones I saw in my scouting runs through morrowind mustve been hand shrunk,as they were mostly the size of the player or smaller. Maybe I missed a whole area where larger ones were.

I guess the prob when generating a region is you can only set the max and min size around the actual size of the model, not both smaller or both larger. I would definitely like to use some hand placed larger ones for the uses you suggested though.

Quote:If you like you can pitch new plants, flowers or shrooms to me that will be exclusive to Ashunor Valley, and then I might be able to model them. It would help a lot if they also exist in the real world because then I won't have much trouble finding textures for them. Smile

Ok cool ill try come up with something. To tell you the truth the deeper I get into generation the more I realise theres plenty of variety with the specified objects as it is, but a plant exclusive to ashunor valley would be sweet. Perhaps one that only grows around the monastery.

Im not too far off posting a preview preset just to give a general idea of things and get some opinions on major adjustments before I fine tune.
03-14-2008, 08:03 PM,

Any progress or problems, Shake?
03-14-2008, 10:47 PM,

I can mention some progress from my end, which is that I resized the muckspunges and -pods to 40% their original size and also made a custom flower and custom mushroom that will only be used in Ashunor Valley. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]