Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asset Distribution
03-18-2007, 11:01 PM,

The person/people in one instance didn't get to use the models, but was/were planning to without our permission, or even letting us know (heck, the person/people didn't even ask!). Thankfully, the particular case I'm refering to was prevented, but there are still many instances of this, and it is at the point where it just isn't safe to have the meshes public. It's unfortunate, I know, but some people won't respect our work, so this is what has to be done to protect our work.
03-19-2007, 01:33 AM,

Was it someone from within our community? Or was it Whitefox returning to take revenge :eek: X( :O
03-19-2007, 01:34 AM,

One question, how are assets uploaded by members of Silgrad Tower going to be distributed to the other modders? There can't be a new release every time someone puts something important into Silgrad. Will there still be internal releases, but only for people in the new members group?

Cause i (and other people probably) are making mods for ST that use similar assets (for example i'm making 2 mines). But it is impractical to have to add the assets to the mod 2x, and if you do something different there could be conflicts. So what occurs in that situation?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
03-19-2007, 01:38 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
Will there still be internal releases, but only for people in the new members group?

Yes.

Cause I (and other people probably) are making mods for ST that use similar assets (for example i'm making 2 mines). But it is impractical to have to add the assets to the mod 2x, and if you do something different there could be conflicts. So what occurs in that situation?

You're not adding something twice. You're using different versions of the same model.
03-19-2007, 01:50 AM,

Isn't it fairly inconvenient to have the same model in the CS twice?

Also, the only thing that worries me is the scripts. Because i am not proficient at scripting, the scripts i use are magic to me - i know how to work them to a limited extent, but i can't really do amazing stuff.

To be as specific as i can, the mining scripts in my glassmine are controlled by a set of scripts originally intended for lock bashing. Because it is a set of scripts, i am not sure if i can make everything exactly the same, on top of the fact that i'm toying with things i don't know. The real problem is that i'm not sure what the effects of having several identical scripts would be, especially since some scripts would call variables located in the duplicated scripts, meaning 2 copies of the variable.
(also, i know there are mines that other people are working on, noteably the ebbedin ebony mine, and if they want to have mineable ebony, it'll have to be uploaded)

In short, how are these assets to be distributed, and should i just go ahead and try to add them manually to the other ESPs i'm working on?
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
03-19-2007, 01:58 AM,

In short, how are these assets to be distributed, and should I just go ahead and try to add them manually to the other ESPs i'm working on?

They will be distributed through the Source.
Go ahead and add them manually the ESP's, that's not a problem.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about.
03-19-2007, 09:13 AM,

Sorry for taking so long, I've had a few busy days in RL.

First off I'd like to mention that the protected models aren't as numerous as you might fear. It's not a total overhaul where everything in the player version looks worse, just the selected models that matter the most to us. Basically it's Redoran architecture, Emperor Parasols, and the Temple building. So, currently only mine, Zarf's and Caligula Superfly's work has been affected. But as time goes on, improvements I make on the existing models will be reserved for the private version, whereas improvements other modellers make will be their call.

It's never been the intention that players would play the wip releases we put together inbetween public releases. They're geared toward modders on the team so they can keep track of the mod's progress, and may have deliberate 'bugs' that will be mended before the next release. A good example of those kinds of deliberate bugs could be the varying states Soluthis has been in since its transition to the main worldspace started; for most of the time the city has arguably been worse than in the last public release until it's been brought back on par.

Since modders/modellers that have put in the effort for the team get access to The Source and accompanying boards - with the internal releases and assets - the transition shouldn't affect you much. For modders that haven't quite put in the effort yet, well, the field is wide open to give it a shot Smile

Don't worry, the only differences between the public and private version is in the nif files, not in the Construction Set. Smile The esm is identical, including scripts you might have added.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM,

I can see where you're coming from, our models are precious to their creators, and it's unfair for someone to instantly steal them without doing any work.

I even think I know who did it, the one who disappeared awfully fast after he was caught, on the ESF. I also think the shack models should be protected somewhat too, they look good, and may catch someone's eye someday.

After this is all completed though, will the good models be released into the public? I suppose it's possible to get away with that once ST becomes widespread and no one ould get away with it.

This means Vvar also needs to protect the stuff they release since it's shared, right?
Lol what?
03-19-2007, 06:14 PM,

I support this mod, as does my master Sauron the Great.

Whoever these person(s) were or was (gramtical nightmare) what they did was immormal, and I belive they should be banned from the ES community, however we know that won't happen.

Even though it may be a small inconvience, I support we do this!

Now, how do I protect my custom armor........ (like Chitin)
The rider in black is always watching......
03-20-2007, 07:58 AM,

I assume BC leaders would still have access to the boards?