Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadsheets in Reich Parkeep
06-16-2006, 03:36 PM,

My contribution to the broadsheet madness of Reich Parkeep (will temporarily use The Reich Parkeep Paper as the title, feel free to change it as you see fit.)

The Reich Parkeep Paper

Barbaric Hordes Prepare to Assualt Reich Parkeep:
Who will be killed first and how will you survive?

It has come to our attention that a large Barbarian Tribe named the Wolf Clan is preparing a massive assault on the great Imperial Paragon, Reich Parkeep! Sensitive sources indicate that the Wolf Clan stole a crate of potions of invisibility from a delivery bound for the Steadhelm mages guild. It is unknown at this time how many potions were stolen, or their potency. What is known is that the Wolf Clan has the potions and they may use them to assault Reich Parkeep.

NO ONE IS SAFE! While we go about our peaceful lives, we must remember that at any moment a giant barbarian could slay us with a poisoned axe before we knew he was there! Now is the time to take precautions.

A Mage, whose expertise is Barbarian mythology, wrote the following in a letter from the Arcane University in the Imperial City of Cyrodiil. The letter says "It is widely known that Glowdust can expose invisible creatures or persons." So, there you have it! Everyone should stock up on Glowdust. Better safe than sorry. This writer has a bottle of it right on the table.

It is unclear at this time when the Wolf Clan will finally come murder our citizens and ransack our fair city. This writer, and a few others in the know, will be prepared. You should be too. Take action now, before it is too late!

Editor's Note: The Reich Parkeep Guard have denied the existence of the Wolf Clan. Could this be a conspiracy? Stay alert and stay safe, citizen!

[attachment=2706] St_Tu_RPCBroadsheetInvisibleBarbarians.esp[/attachment]
/*************************************
** Tunester the Bard **
* for fun and love! *
**********************************/
06-16-2006, 10:12 PM,

Nice one Tunester!

I've added both broadsheets to the mod now, and they should be accessible in-game through Cyra Catella's Books in the next Alpha. The model texture, and the page header book-art, will need some work later on. For now I just used the Black Horse Courier as template, both for the model and the text.

The two broadsheets begs an interesting question though; in which context are they being written? Is it an imperial publisher writing for the imperial citizens, or a dunmer publisher writing for the locals? Or maybe it's a mix of the two, with the publisher being independant from either faction and simply publishing whichever news articles people from the overall population brings to them? The latter would make both stories fit, I think, and makes it easier and more fun for different modders to contribute stories to it.

Razorwing has attached this image (reduced version):
[Image: th_2723_RPbroadsheets.jpg]
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
06-17-2006, 11:12 PM,

How about having two papers, one clearly Imperial, the other clearly Dunmer. A mimicry of Left and Right wing papers for instance (we could go even further and have a tabloid style paper sitting between them). Both could tell the same story in a completely different way. It might mean that the PC would have to search amongst the propaganda to find a quest. It would mean more work, but these broadsheets take no time to write.

Just an idea...
06-17-2006, 11:30 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Treebiter
How about having two papers, one clearly Imperial, the other clearly Dunmer. A mimicry of Left and Right wing papers for instance (we could go even further and have a tabloid style paper sitting between them). Both could tell the same story in a completely different way. It might mean that the PC would have to search amongst the propaganda to find a quest. It would mean more work, but these broadsheets take no time to write.

Just an idea...

True, and your suggestion gave me another idea: that we could tie the Imperial broadsheets to our mod in general rather than specifically to Reich Parkeep. So, just like people in Leyawiin reads broadsheets from The Imperial City, so could citizens in Steadhelm read the same paper as people in Reich Parkeep.

Most of the base of my idea is for pragmatic and believability reasons. There isn't any printing house in the Imperial Districts, and even if there were, it might seem a bit strange given how relatively few people live there. The Redoran district on the other hand is much larger and could support its own publication.

It would be awesome to develop your Left- and Right-wing idea into sometimes having both papers report on the same incident from two different viewpoints and coming out at the same time Big Grin (being enabled at the same point in a quest for instance) Sortof like one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. What do you think?

Ooh, and maybe down the line I (or someone else) could write a post on ESF saying that we have X amount of broadsheets and are looking for someone willing and able to draw bookart for them? Or maybe that should be down already now so someone could design a page header for our papers?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
06-17-2006, 11:50 PM,

I like your idea about making the papers cover a wider area. That way broadsheets reporting your actions could turn up in more places, but refer to the area the quest took place.

In my opinion, the Imperial paper should be a provincial edition with the propaganda turned up a few notches. It would be more useful in Morrowind than anywhere else in the Empire because of the Dunmer peoples hatred of... well, everyone. Desperate efforts by the empire to keep the Dark Elves sweet.

Basically, I'm just reiterating everything you said, and agreeing to it. T'is all good.

It would be good if we had a broadsheets for every quest... Although it might get a little old-hat after a while. Only things that would logically have a large impact perhaps... I'm just waffling now Smile

.............................................................................................................................................................................

Damn you, Damn you all... You got me motivated and I had to write something. Here's another broadsheet. A slightly right-wing one. I wasn't feeling too inspired with the title so I just upped it to weekly for the time being.

The Weekly Cuttle

Special Edition:

Influx of Narcotics into Reich Parkeep reaches all time high.

"My son is lost to Skooma."

Says local Baker.

"Addicts make the streets unsafe."

Says local teacher.

By Vane ?the Scaremonger? Daelnoz

Skooma. Moonsugar. Only in the last decade have these words become household names in our mighty country. Only in the last decade have those two words instilled dread into the hearts of parents and teachers alike. It seems that not a day passes anymore in which we don?t hear about some young, promising Dunmer throwing his life away in search of hedonistic thrills. Sure, we all enjoy a little Mazte on a long summers night, or Sujamma to take the edge off winter, but we know how to enjoy these vices in moderation? right? With dusty Moonsugar, or gloopy Skooma such moderation cannot be found. The root of their evil is the unholy lust they whip up in the user, killing free-will, enslaving the soul.

The origins of these disgusting narcotics are no mystery to any of us. Unfortunately restrictions on what I am allowed to write forbid me from putting in print the name of our culprits, but you all know them. They are hairy, lazy and used to clean your house.

Dear readers, I for one will no longer tolerate the presence of these foul substances in my beloved land. I implore you to turn a blind eye no longer to news you may come across involving these dark vices. Whether it be family, friends or neighbours, if you suspect someone of being involved with Narcotics it is your duty to your people to report them.
06-18-2006, 08:53 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Nice one Tunester!

I've added both broadsheets to the mod now, and they should be accessible in-game through Cyra Catella's Books in the next Alpha. The model texture, and the page header book-art, will need some work later on. For now I just used the Black Horse Courier as template, both for the model and the text.

The two broadsheets begs an interesting question though; in which context are they being written? Is it an imperial publisher writing for the imperial citizens, or a dunmer publisher writing for the locals? Or maybe it's a mix of the two, with the publisher being independant from either faction and simply publishing whichever news articles people from the overall population brings to them? The latter would make both stories fit, I think, and makes it easier and more fun for different modders to contribute stories to it.

Relamus Veloth (me) is an independant freelancer, who writes to earn money, but understands that complete rubbish ain't a way to get published....

The Steadhelm Courier

Special Edition:

Past of Lord Reich Parkeep revealed!

"Lord Remo has indeed had some trouble with authority in his younger days, but who doesn't right??

Says the spokesman of the Imperial Court

By Relamus Veloth.

Many, trustworthy, writers have begun writing a biography of Lord Remo, a man that is wildely respected in Reich Parkeep and beyond. But, working on this project, the female Argonian Meesei, writer, stumbled upon the criminal past of Lord Remo. She decided to release her evidence to the general public. The evidence suggested that Remo had, before he became baron, killed five people in a barfight. That he had also battled in the Arena under a fake name, that he was no stranger to the Dark Brotherhood and that he even had high-level connections to the Cammona Tong!

Shortly after the evidence was released, guards broke into Meesei's house and took her. She is still in the castle prison and as of yet no official statement about wh? she is in prison is released. The Imperial Court has, however, made a public statement. In this public statement they admit that three people were killed in a barfight, that he was a pitdog in the Arena, but they don't admit anything about the Dark Brotherhood, nor about the Cammonna Tong relations. We await the accusations against Meesei, and a statement done by Lord Remo himself.
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
06-18-2006, 03:30 PM,

The Steadhelm Courier

Special Edition:

Dark Brotherhood hideout revealed!

?Steadhelm's Militia has uncovered one of the secret hideout's of the Dark Brotherhood, all within have been killed!"

Says the Steadhelm Guard Captain

By Relamus Veloth

Lately, Steadhelm has suffered a disturbing amount of killings. Three people were arrested, the accusations against them are all the same: The summoning of the Dark Brotherhood. Three weeks ago the Steadhelm Guard Captain promised the people of Steadhelm to track down and kill the blood hungry assasins.

The Dark Brotherhood is a guild of assasins, and they train efficient killers. They worship their god, called Sithis and their patron is the Night Mother. Their services are called upon by performing the Ritual of The Night Mother, in which the Night Mother herself is called forth. This Ritual is forbidden by law and can be punished by death. The Dark Brotherhood uses secret hideouts to shelter their assasins.

And now, the Steadhelm hideout has been found and according to an eyewitness, four members of the Dark Brotherhood were executed. Two died fighting, and nine of the town guards died trying to stop the flooding of death that has raged Steadhelm for so long. They did, praise be to the dead guards, for safeguarding us: the living!
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
06-18-2006, 03:59 PM,

Treebiter: I was thinking more along the lines that the Imperial paper was written 'by outlanders, for outlanders'. For instance, a chance for a wood elf farmer who's settled in Morrowind to sometimes catch up with news and current events back in the old country. Or for an Imperial merchant to read about current events in our region seen through the eyes of his own culture.

A few notes from me.
- Kindly exchange the tilted citation marks into normal ones.
- Could you exchange the word narcotics for something more medieval-fantasy-like?
- I think Matze is spelled Mazte.

Other than that I think it's perfect, and I really liked how you tied in with the Dunmer's racism towards argonians/khajiits. TIA. [Image: icon16.gif]

Cuthalion: Nice ones! [Image: icon16.gif] I'll of course leave it up to DarkAsmodeus to give feedback on whether your story fits with his plans for Steadhelm, and HeIsTheDarkness on whether he feels the shady past is fitting for his character. Personally I don't mind.
Angel mired in filth
06-18-2006, 09:53 PM,

umm... not really sure what to say but... okay
it is a rebellious series of notes but never gained popularity, in truth it is a series of papers secretly made and distributed by Helseth's agents to try to cause strife within the Redoran

The Righteous Way
Redoran, our time of testing has come! Morrowind and indeed Tamriel is full of enemies now. Nords and Orcs come from the north and west. Hlaalu begin picking at our borders. Our allies Dres and Indoril are no longer, the Dres are in strife as they are split between Helseth's rule and being autonomous, and the Indoril are being attacked by Hlaalu and Dres. The Telvanni rush to close Oblivion's gates and Ald-ruhn is besieged. Our Vvardenfell kin are growing aggressive and Venim controls them after his father. This is our time to rise up and rebel! Our complacent Councilors let Imperials control Silgrad, they let Blacklight stay under Cyrodiilic control, indeed they let Kragenmoore be encroached upon by Hlaalu. They couldnot protect us from the Nords coming through the passes. It is time to rebel! gather at Soluthis and the Parkeep will burn!

The Righteous Way
Fellow Redoran, we must prove ourselves the best of Redoran. Those on Vvardenfell ally with Ashlanders and plunder Ebony as Hlaalu would. They are warriors like us but they have become barbaric. We must be noble and be above them! Boycott their good from Vvardenfell for it is the plunder of war and the rape of the land. Do not buy the hides and the ebony from Vvardenfell for it was won in unfair war and pillage. Pray that the Nords attack Vvardenfell instead of the mainland for it must have been the Vvardenfell Redoran's fault, they must have angered the Nords. Do not let their passions and war-mongering carry you away! We are noble and pious people and will not stand for their aggressions.

and it is discontinued due to little or no affect on the Redoran...
06-19-2006, 07:27 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Cuthalion
The evidence suggested that Remo had, before he became baron, killed five people in a barfight. That he had also battled in the Arena under a fake name, that he was no stranger to the Dark Brotherhood and that he even had high-level connections to the Cammona Tong!

Shortly after the evidence was released, guards broke into Meesei's house and took her. She is still in the castle prison and as of yet no official statement about wh? she is in prison is released. The Imperial Court has, however, made a public statement. In this public statement they admit that three people were killed in a barfight, that he was a pitdog in the Arena, but they don't admit anything about the Dark Brotherhood, nor about the Cammonna Tong relations. We await the accusations against Meesei, and a statement done by Lord Remo himself.

Hmm, shady past is ok Smile Not sure about five people, maybe killed 1-2 and injured 3? Smile Though if he was an assassin and a pitdog, he was able to kill five at once, I suppose.