Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim 015- KnifeBlossom
12-11-2008, 04:01 PM,

How many trees will have fruit? Is it a huge number?

Not sure why the crash, but I do know if you change a name or anything, be sure to also have a billboard tree with the same name. I've had it crash on me when I didn't supply one. Let me know what it was if you find a fix. Just to be clear, it's the older higher-poly version? I'll check on my end too. Best to squish any bugs as we come across them.

I think I remember a grass mod as well as a forum topic that had non-swaying grass. Maybe somewhere in the .nif file it states whether it affected by weather. If anyone can confim this please say so.

Finished the seamless ground texture for the bamboo forest. Also
finished the "grass" version of the bamboo. It has about 4 little shoots
and 3 tiny young bamboo. I haven't tried it in game yet but I will tonight.

First house is about half way done. I like to base my models on real houses (in movies and such) so I can see how each room looks and where to put the bathroom etc. This first house I wanted a Japanese/European look because it will be for an Imperial Doctor who has lived with KnifeBlossom for several decades. I went with this house-

Mei's House

It's from 'My Neighbor Totoro' It's a pretty cool house.
12-12-2008, 03:24 AM,

Sounds Good To Me :goodjob:
12-12-2008, 05:14 AM,

Wow, i didnt know that such a house existed. My neighbour totoro was the first studio ghibli film i watched (when i was like 3 Smile). As for the bamboo shoot grass, i cant find a way in the cs to manipulate its wind movement nor find any part of the .nif model relating to it. THey may inevitably sway with the wind.

And the fruit trees, well. I have no ideas how many fruit trees exist at our disposal so i cant say how many we may generate.

the bamboo crash may have been my fault. I actually dont remember changing a billboard name... Tongue

if you want (and to boost project morale) send me the bamboo files and i'll test them out by generating a trial bamboo forest.
12-12-2008, 04:07 PM,

Yeah thats was my first Ghibli film as well but I was like 20 :eek: !

So I got a working 'bamboo leaf litter' terrain texture as wells as a bamboo shoot grass model. I did discover when you make a grass model in the cs it has a setting for 'sway". You can't set it to 0 but you can make it .1. I tested it in game and I never saw it move. :goodjob:

I have brazil nut, banana and coconut palms. I can make whatever though.

I tested the bamboo and I couldn't make it crash- hopefully it's just a texture path issue.

The old bamboo model is 12 kb, the new one is 5 kb. I tried to make a static .nif but they were much higher than 5 kb, so we'll stick with speedtree models.
12-13-2008, 04:38 AM,

Lol, difference of age for you.

I'll give generating the bamboo forest a go. Though i'm not too sure how well clumping will go as they are quite thin so the amount needed is goind to be quite high (i'm going to see how giving size variance will help). I'll also have a test of swaying grass and non swaying.

I read in one of the other BS threads that they were using koniptions resource, in particular the mango and they said there was no mango tree. So do you guys feel like more fruit trees? (and about the brazil nut tree. someone needed that too!)
But as for just more trees, some new maples or cherry blossoms would be fun and if possible, some japanese pine trees (the kind that virtually every japanese garden grows). And then we could add a particle generator to make petals and leaves fall - perfect for giving the illusion of a full forest.

EDIT: Just an idea for bamboo clumping, is it possible to make a tree with individual branches as a bamboo trunk so that you just sink the tree below ground and have the branches sticking up? THis way you get a clump of bamboo with 1 spt file? I'm not too sure how much better this fares with forest making but it could be very useful.

EDIT(again): Its really hard to make a proper bamboo forest without getting horrible FPS. I need some guidance on how it should look if it werent to be a thick forest. All i can think of is making a thicker bamboo model like this - http://www.kazeghostwarrior.com/wallpape...Bamboo.jpg
12-14-2008, 09:20 AM,

HEre's my take on the bamboo forest. The FPS isnt good enough for the game so we need to think of a work around.

[Image: bambooforest2.jpg]

[Image: bambooforest1.jpg]

Any ideas?
12-14-2008, 09:45 AM,

About the only thing I can think of is have you looked at Keilanai's island? There is a bamboo forest on part of it.
12-14-2008, 10:54 AM,

That's lovely. Now we just need to work on lowering the FPS...

Is it possible to make a static version then mix that in 50/50 with the speedtree version?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
12-14-2008, 11:15 AM,

According to ra's previous post, the static model shouldnt help since its file size is significantly bigger than any speedtree bamboo.

From memory, Kielanai's island doesnt have a bamboo forest of this proportion so i doubt she ever encountered this kind of issue.

I'm hoping a really big bamboo tree like in here - http://www.kazeghostwarrior.com/wallpape...Bamboo.jpg could help minimize things a lot + it draws out that fantasy feel of things. Otherwise i have to say we need to make a new concept of the bamboo forest and probably reduce its size.

PS. i have about 2 and a half weeks left before i'm without my modding tools. I'm on a month holiday with hopefully a week+ trip to china and perhaps visiting some nice places (hoping for snow and forests!) that could help with Akavir.
12-14-2008, 01:17 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by exilehunter
HEre's my take on the bamboo forest. The FPS isn't good enough for the game so we need to think of a work around.

Any ideas?
It looks very nice! Smile

I assume it's the FPS without the Distant LOD generated, if so the FPS will drop even further after generating the DL.

Possible solutions.
[blockquote]
- Optimize the face count for the trees.
- Reduce the object count per cell.
- Reduce the grass textures.[/blockquote]
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD