Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim 015- KnifeBlossom
12-18-2008, 07:14 PM,

Okay- I may have found something that works.

I had avoided working with my speedtree 4 version because it seems to
make the files larger upon saving. I had been using version 2 (I'm pretty sure Oblivion uses that as well). Eveything that version 4 saves is 12kb or higher even when I import a 4kb file and change nothing.

Regardless, I fired it up today to mess around with the bamboo and I found a "cluster" option. I creates 5 additional trees with slight variances of the original. When I save the file it is 17kb but it now has a total of 6 trees.

I am not going to be home for a day or so I haven't even tested this to see if it works in Oblivion. It might crash it like the plam fronds do.

Exilehunter- I pm'ed you the files if you wanna give them a go.
12-19-2008, 02:56 AM,

the clusters are a no go. The smaller one loads in the cs but its distorted and has no trunks -
[Image: akavirclusterbamboo.jpg]
the large cluster crashes the cs. the larger single bamboo works fine though and yes, i added billboards to each one. So i;m thinking we have to rely on varieties of large bamboo for now, unless anyone else has an idea.
12-19-2008, 03:36 PM,

Crap- How do the large trees look? I'm fine with it if everybody else is.

Well the 'Totoro' house I've been working on is a pain. I fianlly got the roof finished last night. Still have to do some vertex painting and collision before it goes in game, but here are some screens from Max.

(the windows that are bright white will actually be transparent in game, I had the settings wrong in Max)

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]
12-19-2008, 03:38 PM,

High-Quality work!A masterpiece. :goodjob:
12-19-2008, 03:43 PM,

Really beatiful work. :goodjob:
Michal Cielecki
Composer for Games and Media
http://www.michalcielecki.com

-------------------------------------

Akavir's Island Mod Music
12-19-2008, 06:27 PM,

I love the house RA.

I'm not sure what do about the Bamboo.
12-19-2008, 07:22 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by ra5946
(the windows that are bright white will actually be transparent in game, I had the settings wrong in Max)
You probably want to do opaque windows similar to the vanilla ones, unless you plan on building the interiors in the exterior worldspace (either to make seamless transitions or just for looks. The first would be a bad idea as any weather particle effects would fall straight through walls/roof, the latter would be a tremendous waste of resources.
12-19-2008, 07:53 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by nick_op
You probably want to do opaque windows similar to the vanilla ones, unless you plan on building the interiors in the exterior worldspace (either to make seamless transitions or just for looks. The first would be a bad idea as any weather particle effects would fall straight through walls/roof, the latter would be a tremendous waste of resources.

Some of the windows you will be able to see through. I just take a screen shot of the actual room than texture a plain and paste it on the other side of the window
12-20-2008, 03:37 AM,

Nice work as always Ra.

The large bamboo works well however im still having a bit of trouble. I tried to make a forest entirely out of the big one but they start to look a tad repetitive. At the heart of the forest, i'm still getting about 15 FPS. Although i've asked several times, is it still possible to reduce the poly's even more? Considering they are placed in close proximity, their foliage density doesnt need to be great.

PS- I have 2 weeks before i'm gone for the month of Jan. I'm not sure what to do with the heightmap and region drawing at this point. I can release the heightmap but if people start building, region generation could interfere - at worse, you'll have to re-paint the land textures and delete trees and stuff afterwards. If anywhere were to be started using retextured vanilla resources, it would be the Imperial port.
12-20-2008, 03:12 PM,

So the large tree looks good? I'll make a lower poly version of that, get some multiple seeds (do you know where to enter the seed codes?)
and a nice new billboard.

I'm not sure on the heightmap thing. I don't know how many people will actually be working in it.