Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim 015- KnifeBlossom
12-14-2008, 01:20 PM,

Tasty!Really Big Grin

But need some fix,about fps..but great really. Smile
12-14-2008, 01:38 PM,

Your right sandor, about the absence of LOD and such. Actually, this isnt even the real place. All i did was make a test world space for region development and what you see is the result of a 3x3 region (and there's a lake through the centre of it!).
So... things arent looking so great.

the bamboo mesh optimization isnt my area. The grass could be redone - i'm using vanilla grass and land textures along with Ra's dead leaf texture and bamboo sprout 'grass' (which you cant see very well). I could find a lower poly grass mesh to suit the sprouts while i'm at it. As for reducing object count, i'm not sure to what extent would i have to do that, especially if i'm to keep the bamboo forest look (i also need to keep in mind that we still need flora and rocks and other landscape objects to add in).
12-14-2008, 04:12 PM,

reducing polycount on trees would probably be the easiest way to handle the FPS problem. im not sure if its possible, but maybe have billboard LOD enable closer than normal? if its of a high quality it should not look too bad through the dense trees.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
12-14-2008, 04:14 PM,

Its a great idea LadyN.

Remove some branch,and leaf.
And make the cross-section a bit lower than yours.

Hopefully works.
12-14-2008, 04:44 PM,

I'll make a few more different types of bamboo and see what can be done. Lots of good ideas here, but I think exilehunter has the right idea with the "bigger" bamboo. The file size of my lower bamboo is smaller than most vanilla trees, but the problem is the trunk is very narrow and the tree in general has a lot smaller presence than other trees. I'll make a version that has a large thick trunk. I'll also take away half the leaves and see what that does. The billboard distance should also help a bit.

It's a shame because it does look good- nice job exile.

One question about the forest- When you generate a forest area does it make a bunch of different seed versions of the tree or is each one exactly the same? When I make these new trees I'll also generate some good seeds to use as well if thats the case.
12-14-2008, 10:03 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by ra5946
I'll make a few more different types of bamboo and see what can be done. Lots of good ideas here, but I think exilehunter has the right idea with the "bigger" bamboo. The file size of my lower bamboo is smaller than most vanilla trees, but the problem is the trunk is very narrow and the tree in general has a lot smaller presence than other trees. I'll make a version that has a large thick trunk. I'll also take away half the leaves and see what that does. The billboard distance should also help a bit.

Hopefully going to be nice now.

One question about the forest- When you generate a forest area does it make a bunch of different seed versions of the tree or is each one exactly the same? When I make these new trees I'll also generate some good seeds to use as well if thats the case.

Hm,i think yeah.
12-15-2008, 01:54 AM,

It's a shame because it does look good- nice job exile.

I'm pretty sure it had the same seed (you notice it when they all sway identically in the wind like some robotic exercise).

And to certify ra's explanation of too many bamboo, heres some calculations-
a typical forest will have about 40 speedtree files including trees and shrubs. (the total amount of faces for the entire cell, rocks, plants and everything else is about 58 000 faces). The total file size of these spt's is about 40 x 7.5kb = 180kb of spt files in 1 cell.

1 cell of the bamboo forest you see has about 280 speedtrees (just bamboo files and a total face count of almost 800 000). THis is about 280 x 6.5 = 1820kb of spt files.
In other words, a bamboo forst of this proportion is about 12 times worse than your typical cyrodiil forest. Just for comparison, Sheogoraths Palace - a well known FPS intensive place has about 350 000 faces in the cs. So i think the larger bamboo is our only option or else the forest must become significantly smaller and about 1/8th the density you see.
12-15-2008, 02:43 AM,

Sheesh- lots of trees in there!

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to reduce the bamboo file.
I took the smaller bamboo file 4.52kb (which is smaller than almost all vanilla speedtrees) and halved the lamount of leaves and branches.
It looked pretty crappy and only got the file to 4.36kb.

I say we just make the forest less thick and I'll increase the trunk radius from the current .5 to 1.5.

Should I make the tree taller and start the branch generation higher up
to compensate for the larger trunk?

We can also make the the grass and bamboo grass .nifs just a single plane nitrishape and give it a stencil property with a billboard property so it always faces the player- how much do you think that will change the overall fps?

I'm about 75% done with the first house (the outside anyways). It's pretty detailed so it's taking me longer than I thought it would.
12-15-2008, 02:58 AM,

try a variety of large bamboo types. From pictures, i'd have to say the leaves start faiirly high, so perhaps we may chuck in a few small ones nearby (may or may not look good). I dont think the grass needs changing yet, not until we can get a reasonable forest of bamboo.
12-15-2008, 12:01 PM,

Good job people! :bananarock: