Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daggerfall books in the Silgrad Tower mod
07-04-2006, 11:35 PM,

A lot of writers and modders have played the games but do not know where to go to find lore, or even that there is Lore freely available on various subjects.

This was just stage 1.

What I want to do next is add to the title of each book (or collected work) a description of the content - short, sharp and to the point, so that both newcomers and old timers can find strong Lore background, styles that they can compare their own work to etc as they need it.

This will be more important for the Associated mods, but even in Silgrad it should be useful.

Hope this makes sense to you. It does seem to me that these are important Literary reference items, and that having the titles here is a good go to location. In addition to and not to be confused with 'agreed Lore' in the Lore section, which is highly complex and developed area of the Forums that goes beyond the Literary brief.

And I want to encourage scenario writers to get together with writers they like in Lit Dev sometimes, and I feel that by having the Morrowind books here that will feel more of a natural possibility.
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
07-04-2006, 11:41 PM,

This thread was more about the technical parts of importing the books.
07-05-2006, 10:25 PM,

I appreciate that, but threads can be copied, so the same thread can develope differently in two different locations. Don't lose the technical aspect, that is just as important to me as the literary ideas as the tech provides the medium.

However there is a real need for Lore awareness in Lit Dev, so even if you did not originally set out to do it, you are providing a useful resource here and I hope you are happy to have this continue here. K?

Still if you prefer to have a tech thread separate on this in Vis Dev or somewhere, just ask Razor, so long as you leave a copy of the book titles and a link to the book content download here.
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

07-05-2006, 10:36 PM,

Just a question; is this legal? I mean, you ARE using assets from Bethesda's previous games, right?
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM,

Apparently the written content of books is ok...and that is all I am asking for here. The Imperial Library being the source guarantees that there is no actual graphic/art that came from the game/cd...

There is no prohibition on our making our own meshes, skins and textures...

And hope you are not getting overexcited about the 'conversion' thread on ESF. We are cool where that is concerned, and might even come out of it ahead... :evil grin:
Steven Erikson.

07-06-2006, 11:59 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheImperialDragon
Just a question; is this legal? I mean, you ARE using assets from Bethesda's previous games, right?

Did you ask a dev about it though?
07-07-2006, 12:18 AM,

Todd said that using books from previous game was ok.
07-19-2006, 10:57 PM,

Yes, it's the difference between assets and content, which technically are two completely different things I guess. Bethesda doesn't mind us recycling content, in the form of books, dialogue, titles and generally any other "intellectual" property. It's the assets they don't want us using; models, textures, book art, graphical components, and so on.

black[/HR]

I happen to be modding an interior right now where the homeowner, an elderly poverished Dunmer female, has collected all the King Edward books. I like them because they mention Reich Parkeep, and because of the connection to Morrowind I don't see any logical problems with Dunmer owning them.

Could I humbly ask that someone who's intimately familiar with the book series pitch me a dialogue line that would be appropriate for the lady to say regarding her affinity for the books? =)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-21-2006, 08:52 PM,

Describe the Lady - her nature, class, intellectual capacity, wealth, tastes, property/s, social circle, friends, enemies, c'mon, gissa a clue? maybe just a little one?
Steven Erikson.