Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desert Sandstorms
05-18-2007, 02:14 AM,

I am not sure if you could disable fast-travel during this, not sure if it is possible without being a buggy mess. The damage also would need to be scripted so I think it is also improbable. Sandstorms are possible but minus that other stuff, which may be possible but I am not sure. I have not ever heard of somebody doing it but I can say after seeing the cannon script for my mod this could quite possibly seem possible. :yes:
~OBmon~
Founder of the Ocean Studios

Come join the Ocean Mod!
05-18-2007, 02:44 AM,

Uh... scripting both would be trivially simple...

Code:
if ( GetIsCurrentWeather Sandstorm == 1 ) && ( stormy == 0 )
    EnableFastTravel 0
    player.AddSpell "Sandstorm Damage Spell"
    set stormy to 1
elseif ( stormy == 1 )
    EnableFastTravel 1
    player.RemoveSpell "Sandstorm Damage Spell"\
    set stormy to 0
endif

I generally, if not always, think about what I can do more than what I want to do. If I recommend something, then unless I say otherwise, you be relatively sure that I have at least a hunch on how to go about doing it.
"change the world..."

"Blinding light, bind my foes unbreakable chains... Disperse the shadows! Ray of Paralysis!"
~Saradin Carm

Quisque casus ab oraculo antecedetur. Sed sine heroe, non est casus.
05-20-2007, 09:59 PM,

Iron pyrite is fools gold so far as i can remember from my chemistry papers iron pyrite shouldn't mess up the compass, but i don't have a compass or some iron pyrite to test this in real life. Magnetite or "black sand" would do the trick easily.
For ALL my concept art in one place look here:
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/JaKhajay/

What is the Lycanthrope, in the Eye of God? A cursed Beast? Or a Miracle?
05-21-2007, 02:49 PM,

I have an idea that could make the sandstorms a little more...... enjoyable, something that could leave the player in suspense.

I was thinking that while the player is in the desert, small messages could warn them about the storm. Such as "There has been a change in wind speed and direction." And then after 3 or 5 minutes ( not in-game minutes) another message could say "A sandstorm is approaching". Then after a couple more minutes of traveling through the desert, the player's controls will get disabled. While the player is looking around, they will notice a gust of sand approaching from the distance, and then WHAM!!!! the sandstorm hits the players screen.

The disabling of fast traveling is an awesome idea, but I think it would be even better that each time the sandstorm hits,the map will get disabled. Maybe when the player looks at his or her map, a message on the map can say "The sandstorm is too strong for you to view your map."

Tell me what you guys think.
05-21-2007, 03:16 PM,

awesome idea, maybe not so many messages about the approaching sandstorm? maybe just:

"You feel the wind strengthen, flecks of sand begin to stab at your skin."

then the player knows they're in for a world of hurt Tongue

Edd
An Old Man is sitting on a Bench eating Soup. He is a fool.
05-22-2007, 01:34 AM,

Bah, no messages. Messages ruin things - make the player take notice himself. I'd be looking for particle effects for the blown sand, status effects that the player can notice (but are not pointed out to him), lowering of visibility, etc etc.

Anyway, disabling the map's a great idea, but very hard to do. That's where a lot of the 'thoughts' I was talking about earlier go, how to achieve that. I haven't gotten around to writing up those thoughts, so sorry, but I do have some ideas.
"change the world..."

"Blinding light, bind my foes unbreakable chains... Disperse the shadows! Ray of Paralysis!"
~Saradin Carm

Quisque casus ab oraculo antecedetur. Sed sine heroe, non est casus.
05-22-2007, 01:46 AM,

We aren't using a map anyway, only in game parchment, so no worries there :-)
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM,

I like the lowering of visibility idea, though if I was playing and then all of a sudden the image starts fading, I would most likely freak that my computer is on the fritz or something.
But.... can we still disable the players' controls and then have the sandstorm smack them in the face. Cool

[EDIT] I think that the cities that are located in the desert should also be affected by the sandstorms. I don't mean like the citizens getting lost in the plazas and stuff like that, but maybe everyone can retrieve back into their homes. Also the sandstorms in the cities should have a higher visibility rate than the sandstorms outside the city walls.
"If you think Hell is bad enough now, just wait until I get there!"

~Lord Skorm~

05-22-2007, 03:36 PM,

The Player can look out for changes in the sky. Before weather effects take in, the sky changes first to start the new weather. Maybe the storms won't cause you pain, but occasionally the player will get knocked over, and they need to get inside. It seems annoying to have any negative effects based on weather though.
05-22-2007, 04:09 PM,

I agree you shouldn't get a real negative effect from the weather but getting knockede over and maybe decreasing movement speed seems good to me.
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"