Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desert Sandstorms
05-22-2007, 04:14 PM,

real negative effect from the weather
No? We are talking being in a sand storm people? Isn't we?
But they shouldn't cause HP decrease right away..
The meaning of life is 'Bucket'.
05-22-2007, 04:20 PM,

Sandstorm: hard wind, nasty sand. So a slowdown in movement speed and maybe getting knocked down sounds fine with me.
"Why would I be bound by rules if I can see so far beyond them?"

"I think, therefore I am" - Descartes
"I don't think, therefore I spam"

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought"

"On top of the world"
05-23-2007, 02:27 AM,

I don't see any reason why rocky mountains in the desert could not have exposed magnetite seams. perhaps we could make this a minable ore, like gold and silver?
For ALL my concept art in one place look here:
http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/JaKhajay/

What is the Lycanthrope, in the Eye of God? A cursed Beast? Or a Miracle?
05-23-2007, 07:46 PM,

That's an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure that magnets (i.e. compasses) exist in Tamriel, so they have to be getting it from somewhere...

By the way, what kind of desert are we talking about here? Is this Sahara-like (i.e. big, empty, sand dunes, etc), or is this like the Outback (hard, scrub brush, etc)? I'm imagining something like Dune (the novel, not the city) - big, empty sand, but with rock outcroppings every now and them to break the monotony and provide shelter.
"change the world..."

"Blinding light, bind my foes unbreakable chains... Disperse the shadows! Ray of Paralysis!"
~Saradin Carm

Quisque casus ab oraculo antecedetur. Sed sine heroe, non est casus.
05-23-2007, 09:07 PM,

Yeah, sand dunes with the occasional rocky outcrop was what i was thinking. Ohhhh, idea. Question, is Dune (the city, not the novel) in the desert or just outside it?

06-04-2007, 09:33 PM,

Damaging HP is too much for a desertstorm.
In sandstorms, the wind hits against your body (reduction of Speed/Athletics), and you always inhale sand through your nose or mouth (reduction of Fatigue) and causes you to choke and cough.
Magnets exist in mostly metals, and there are metals in Oblivion (if there wasn't any then they wouldn't have so many types of armor). Metals could be found in deserts, especially if there is an old mining company or cavern around. If the metal is slightly surfaced, then erosion can cause the metal to be picked up by the wind.
Another possibility are lay lines, and if they cross in a certain point or if somebody passes by them, then the magnets will get all messed up. The best example of how lay lines work is the Bermuda Triangle. Passing through the Bermuda will cause all navigation devices to malfunction, and since the navigation devices aren't working, then you can't navigate. That is why so many planes are losed here, they eventually run out of fuel and crash into the ocean. Though, supposedly, boats sink due to huge waves and whirpools that the lay lines create here.
I think lay lines are the best way to imply into why the compass won't work in the desert of Elsweyr.
06-24-2007, 09:28 PM,

Quote:In sandstorms, the wind hits against your body (reduction of Speed/Athletics), and you always inhale sand through your nose or mouth (reduction of Fatigue) and causes you to choke and cough.

[Image: Dust_Storm_Texas_1935.jpg]
Sure anything close to that can't hurt you at all...
The meaning of life is 'Bucket'.
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM,

I realize no one has posted in here for some time but here's a link to a modders resource which includes not only desert textures and rocks but also a sandstorm weather effect:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22936

[Image: 22936-4-1236256591.jpg]

looks pretty good to me!
"What is this land in which we venture..." ~Zack11
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM,

Jackpot. These look great for northern Elsweyr. Will set about modifying them for our purposes

04-15-2009, 11:32 PM,

Ooops! I'd meant to alert you guys to this myself after I'd noticed that liana was using it. Anyway, it looks like a superb addition!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]