Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwemer Progress Thread
07-20-2006, 09:26 PM,

I've been working on a model using the pictures Axen provided and while I'm still nowhere near done I think I'm actually having some luck with the modeling. However, I still don't know how to texture so once I'm done with the model I'd like someone experienced to texture it. Also I'm trying to do it as a tileset.
Titles:
-Newly apointed mayer of Southpoint
-Self apointed Master of the Universe
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by walrus
I've been working on a model using the pictures Axen provided and while I'm still nowhere near done I think I'm actually having some luck with the modeling. However, I still don't know how to texture so once I'm done with the model I'd like someone experienced to texture it. Also I'm trying to do it as a tileset.

Creating textures is one thing, that's more of a job for a specialized texture artist. But uvw mapping a model is something all modellers have to learn in order for them to be able to create Oblivion models.
- Primarily because a mesh really has to be created to account for the uvw maps and textures it'll use. It's nigh-on impossible to explain how, as it's something best learned by experimenting and trying, but to take an example: If you make a cylinder and want it to have a border texture all around the base near the bottom, you have to use two segments on the cylinder and position the segments where you want the border texture to end, then select those polys and detach them and map the resulting two cylinders individually. If the modeller didn't know that then the guy editing the model would have to do it, which wouldn't be much of a problem in my theoretical example, but if the real model would have twenty times the detail compared to a simple cylinder, then a mesh editor would have to spend many, many hours on it.

- But also because uvw mapping a model often takes two thirds of the time of creating a finished model.

- And because it's just a fact of life that folks care more about their own models than models created by someone else, so the original creator of a model is the best guy for the job in finalizing it just because it's his model and he (hopefully) cares deeply about it and want it to be perfect.

If you're willing to try, I'd be happy to offer suggestions and tips as you go along, in case you want me to. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-13-2006, 12:46 AM,

I am now a necromancer.
08-15-2006, 06:51 PM,

How many dwemer objects are finished yet? I want to make my floating fortress.
Lol what?
08-16-2006, 10:19 PM,
RE: Dwemer Progress Thread
Would my model help bring this project closer to completion? Someone mentioned a vvardenfell project on tesforums to me when I post up this screenshot. If you read that forum, some troll was mouthing something about me being a fake. I just want to make some good models. Been posting these screens around in hopes of gtting feedback and critique from modelers who know TES. So please kill it Smile

Its a WIP MW Dwemer armor set. You'd need this and some steam/sphere centurions too right Wink

Well the offer is there for it to be used.
..::screenie::..
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-17-2006, 12:56 AM,
The armor looks great, and it would definitely help this project come to completion Big Grin If would suggest making that thing on the rear much less pronounced, or taking it off all together, as it gives the armor a very awkward look. I know it was there in the ES 3, but when you think about it it would probably just get in the way during battle and impair movement. Also maybe lower the pauldrons some, or add another piece similar to the one sticking up underneath the first one. Again I know it was like that in ES 3, but the pauldrons sticking way up like that make the arms more vulnerable to attack.
08-17-2006, 03:32 AM,
Yay! finally some suggestions.

Firstly, about the 'butt protector'. All I did was scale up a pauldron and whack it on there. I forgot to mention to not to pay attention to that part. Smile I have since made a proper piece for it. I think I'm going to keep a 'butt protector'
on the model though. The one I just made is toned down from MWs one. It doesn't stick out so far. It almost hangs down as much though.

In MW the pauldrons don't point up as much as the ones on mine. MWs poke out to the sides alot more. But its only that way because the models arms are straight out to the side.
I like you idea of maybe putting a smaller pauldron piece inside those over sized monstrosities. There is a lipped peice that fits in there already, have a look at these closer up screens don't forget to zoom in

In the last pic you cn see that lip, I could turn it out even further.

Thanks for taking a look

Oh and I'm not sure what to do for the groin area. I the old model there is some ugly diaper there. I'm thinking of loin cloth that gets tex as chain link. subtley done of course. It will tie in what i want to tex the tricep/armpit area. cos I.m not so keen of the originals tex has there
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-18-2006, 04:34 AM,

Wow very nice armor, now just normal map it and texture it!!!! It has some serious potential and looks almost exact and proportional. As concerning the delay on dwemer progress, im kinda busy in the summer, but whenschool comes around, ill have plenty of time. Of course that doesnt mean i wont have any time in the summer. Please tell me what you guys need in order of priority and ill work on them tomarrow, since ill be free tomaorrow. im gonna redo the towers and make them look better.
Semper Fidelis..... - Always Faithful (Marine Corp Motto)
08-18-2006, 05:28 AM,

That was me Smile
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
08-18-2006, 07:54 AM,

Great concept art! I gave it a try. Here's my little attempt. About 700 triangles each tower. It really sucks. My video card is cooked so I can't do anything spactacular. I will do them when I'll have enough time. Greetings.
If you can't get someone out of your head maybe they're supposed to be there.